Author Topic: POP 20 Rolling Stone  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
Re: POP 20 Rolling Stone
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm an Atomic Bomb fan (ducks for cover) but I cannot defend the 'New Mix' butchering of both Discotheque and Gone- they aren't completely awful to my ears but they do leave me feeling numb (no pun intended). The original versions of both songs are sonically spectacular with passionately committed vocals from Bono, Edge's wild guitar screeches and fuzzbombs that give me goosebumps upon goosebumps...while the new mixes are just there, plodding along politely, holding back on the 'Boom-Cha's' and castrating Edge's 747 effects and hoping that no one gets hurt...

Aside from the single versions of 'LNOE' and 'Please', i don't think that they improved on the 'unfinished' Pop originals.
I would add If God Will Send His Angels to that list.
I have mixed feelings on the single version- I like the additional lyrics ("And I don't have to know how...") but the editing is too painfully obvious and I much prefer the original outro which has an emphasis on Larry's brilliant hip-hop flavoured beat.

Yeah, while the arrangement may be better on the single mix, I hate that they nixed an entire verse. Album version all the way.
Pleased you agree Exile!

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
I'm an Atomic Bomb fan (ducks for cover) but I cannot defend the 'New Mix' butchering of both Discotheque and Gone- they aren't completely awful to my ears but they do leave me feeling numb (no pun intended). The original versions of both songs are sonically spectacular with passionately committed vocals from Bono, Edge's wild guitar screeches and fuzzbombs that give me goosebumps upon goosebumps...while the new mixes are just there, plodding along politely, holding back on the 'Boom-Cha's' and castrating Edge's 747 effects and hoping that no one gets hurt...

Aside from the single versions of 'LNOE' and 'Please', i don't think that they improved on the 'unfinished' Pop originals.
I would add If God Will Send His Angels to that list.
I have mixed feelings on the single version- I like the additional lyrics ("And I don't have to know how...") but the editing is too painfully obvious and I much prefer the original outro which has an emphasis on Larry's brilliant hip-hop flavoured beat.

IMO, that's where the song was. The end, the 'And I don't have to know why ...' and then Larry's outro. THAT was the idea they were looking for. Shame it was tacked on to an already cut and paste version of a very mediocre song.

The lyrics on that one have always puzzled me. I love Bono's religious references, but the ones here are kind of nonsensical and silly, IMO. Why is Jesus' Mother dealing in a doorway? What is that supposed to represent? Who is Jesus' sister, and why are her eyes blistered? Sounds like trying too hard, IMO.

Who is Jesus sister?

"Aren’t James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon his brothers? Don’t his sisters still live here in our town?”—Mark 6:3, Contemporary English Version

Why are her eyes blistered?

Mary dealing?

Perhaps Bono is suggesting that Jesus spent all his time and energy trying to save the world, he ignored / neglected his immediate family who needed him.

Similar theme to Gone. Bono is Jesus.

Yeah, I am familiar with that passage. I do believe that Jesus had earthly brothers and sisters (I am Episcopalian after all) but we know nothing about her/them (the sister/sisters), so I wonder why such an odd phrasing is used by Bono. Like I said, I am a religious person, and it pleases me that Bono is as well, but I just didn't really 'get' this one.

And as for the line about the electronic trappings mentioned by RS, IMO, the problem with the album is they chickened out at the last minute and tinkered too much. I think the album would have been better if all the songs had had those influences as heavy as the first three songs.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
I thought the religious themes in IGWSHA were just kind of being used in contrast to modern society.  "Jesus' sister", I thought, could just be any woman.  In this case, a woman who's likely an addict.  I didn't get the impression that any of those terms--"his mother", "Father Christmas", "Jesus' sister"--are intended literally.

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:10 PM »
They should've just stuck to their guns with the Hong Kong mixes, not thought about it too hard..just rode with it...and if they wanted to do so, they could have still released the versions of Discotheque, etc. that we know and love, as singles.

Of course, had the band actually taken the gems from Passengers ("Always Forever Now, "Miss Sarajevo," Your Blue Room" instead of wasting them on a non-U2 album) and added them/incorporated them into the early "Hong Kong" mixes of POP, we could have indeed had a kick-ass album released by U2 with no filler released sometime in 1996, in plenty of time for a 1997 tour.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
Ugh re: Miami. Say what you will about the album version but live the song was a swaggering, rocking monster. So good.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
They should've just stuck to their guns with the Hong Kong mixes, not thought about it too hard..just rode with it...and if they wanted to do so, they could have still released the versions of Discotheque, etc. that we know and love, as singles.

Of course, had the band actually taken the gems from Passengers ("Always Forever Now, "Miss Sarajevo," Your Blue Room" instead of wasting them on a non-U2 album) and added them/incorporated them into the early "Hong Kong" mixes of POP, we could have indeed had a kick-ass album released by U2 with no filler released sometime in 1996, in plenty of time for a 1997 tour.

Interesting idea.  It's hard for me to imagine those Passengers tracks on an album with Pop/Hong Kong material, just because they seem so ambient/sci-fi, while Pop is...different.

Offline MattD

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
What's brilliant about Pop at its best is that despite it's complex and varied rhythms, all interconnecting in one song at a time, it's an album that - lyrically and sonically - favours nuance over bluster. Mofo probably best epitomises this.

It's so disheartening then to hear those remixes for the Best Of as it strips back all the complexity and chaos in favour of dull, lifeless open chords and stadium rock plod. It wouldn't be so galling if that was a one off, but the form from the 21st century onwards suggests that the style of recording from those remixes was the rule rather than the exception. They've done nothing but prop up the belief that all subtlety has vanished in favour of big but hollow statements, whether that's musically or lyrically.

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
As I said in another thread I absolutely adore half of Gone (album version) and half of Gone (the New Mix version). Lol, or rather what I mean, sonically I adore the original album version (with Edge's amazing guitar work) but I prefer Bono's singing on the New Mix version (but sonically find the New Mix version really dull and bland) as I find Bono's singing on the original version absolutely terrible! He's all over the place and his voice sounds really strained! So I really wish Bono's newly recorded vocals could be added to the original album version!! Then it would be one of my favourite U2 songs ever! :)