Author Topic: First time with general admission tickets -- how do I do it??  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Declamom

• Babyface
I have tickets to the Seattle show on May 14.  Our tickets are general admission, but none of us has ever done general admission before.  What do we need to do in order to get as close to the stage as possible ( of course!) -- camp out, just get there early the day of the show, ???? Any tips are greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

monopoly

Re: First time with general admission tickets -- how do I do it??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »
In the past when I've done it (for IE) , showing up for a rail wasn't worth it. The best view is a few feet back where you can see everything. Also this is a stadium tour so the staging will be higher and you may have trouble seeing. I showed up at 4:00 pm and was behind one person at one concert. Some venues may not permit camping. Also stadium shows have more rail space than indoors so keep that in mind.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
What do you want to do?

If you want to camp out on concrete, do it!

If you want to get there before breakfast... Do it!

If you want to rock up at 5pm and find a spot on the floor... Do it!

Most of all, enjoy the show.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the past when I've done it (for IE) , showing up for a rail wasn't worth it. The best view is a few feet back where you can see everything. Also this is a stadium tour so the staging will be higher and you may have trouble seeing. I showed up at 4:00 pm and was behind one person at one concert. Some venues may not permit camping. Also stadium shows have more rail space than indoors so keep that in mind.

Given the long extended stage the amount of rail space available on the SoI tour was very large.  TJT stage also seems to offer considerable rail space but the red zone infringes more on things than on the SoI tour (if ticket maps are  anything to judge by).  Also, although there may be more rail space at a stadium show there will also be a great many more people with GA tickets. 

I've never had the patience to queue to be at the front of a stadium show but people have frequently complained you can't see much from there, so my advice would be to have a relaxing day and go refreshed to the show.  You should still see well unless you turn up 5 minutes before the band come on stage. 

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:49 AM »
I've done GA twice - here's how I handled it.

1st time: 360 Tour in Saint Louis.  Camped out all day and got in the inner circle, directly in front of the band - about 5 rows of people back.  Once in a lifetime thing for me.  It was so hot waiting outside Busch Stadium that they had water sprayers.  We got our number on our hands and just found things to keep ourselves occupied with (also brought some umbrellas to try and beat the sun).  It was awesome, but I paid for it days later between sunburn and exhaustion.  Well worth it.

2nd time: I+E Tour in MSG.  I told my wife that I didn't need to wait again....I had already ticked that off my bucket list and I would be happy to just stand wherever.  I had also heard that the design of the I+E tour was a bit more easy for viewing from most vantage points in the arena.  Had dinner with my dad and his wife on the Upper East Side, then headed down to MSG about an 90 minutes before the show.   Waited in line for 45 minutes and still got a got a great vantage point for the entire concert.

So, my experiences were very positive, and my takeaway is that U2 makes for a great experience no matter where you stand/sit.

Offline Belisama

• Global Moderator
  • Original of the Species
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
What do you want to do?

If you want to camp out on concrete, do it!

If you want to get there before breakfast... Do it!

If you want to rock up at 5pm and find a spot on the floor... Do it!

Most of all, enjoy the show.

Best advice ever.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
I've seen U2 eight times over the years, and was in the GA for three of those: Atlanta on the Vertigo Tour, and both Belfast and Dublin on the I&E Tour. For Atlanta, my good friend and I queued all day, starting around 10am. We didn't get into the inner circle, but managed to get one or two people deep on the Edge's side. For both Belfast and Dublin, though, I didn't bother queuing. If the weather wasn't so wet and cold (this was later in November in 2015), maybe I'd have queued up some just for the social experience; but, the weather emphatically ruled even that out for me.

With the show this summer, I'm in the GA for Pittsburgh, and I probably won't get in like before 4 or 5 pm, though I'll wait and see based on fan reports from some of the shows before mine (as a random aside, I do have a seated ticket for the second night in Chicago, too).

Offline Declamom

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
Thanks, everybody!  I'm sure we'll have a fabulous time no matter what...the advice about the differences between stadium and smaller venues is good to have on hand. All of my tickets to U2 since the Amnesty tour in 1986 ( which was my first show, and Bono pulled me on stage after I sneaked to the front from my nosebleed seat -- YAY!) have been seated, so doing GA will tick off another item on my bucket list.  :D

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
I don't do anything special.  Spending 12 hours in line is not my idea of fun.

In general though, General Admission has its own entrance so be sure to find it.  You will typically enter as anyone else does but will then be directed somewhere to get a wristband which allows access to the floor.  After that, its up to you where you stand.  The hard cores will camp up by the rails and never leave but there are plenty of places to see the band and not be a slave to a rail all night.  Enjoy the night.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
For Seattle 360 we got there about 5:30pm and got pretty close. Maybe 10 feet from the outer rail on Adams side. You don't need to get there at 10am to get a good spot

Offline marielm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
Sometimes the people at the very front of the line will have some kind of check-in sheet where you give your name and they write a number on your hand.  It's all very unofficial, but I think it's meant to prevent line cutting, or show proof of where in the queue you should be.  If that is happening at your venue I say best to just do it as soon as you arrive and not potentially screw yourself over by then getting called out and losing your space in line to get a number and head to the back. 

In NYC for I+E it was a little testy, at the last hour before doors opening when they condensed the line people were trying to cut in while the rest of us had sat in the sweltering July mid-day sun.  So we all were flailing our numbers around and shouting "get a number!  back of the line!".  For 360 at Philly we got wristbands for the queue so it was a little more official maybe. 

Both times I got there probably between 1-2pm and was either at the rail or just one person was in front of me.

Overall - if you're willing to wait a few hours, wear sunscreen, bring food, water, some emergency toilet paper, and hand sanitizer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:34:56 PM by marielm »

monopoly

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
Sometimes the people at the very front of the line will have some kind of check-in sheet where you give your name and they write a number on your hand.  It's all very unofficial, but I think it's meant to prevent line cutting, or show proof of where in the queue you should be.  If that is happening at your venue I say best to just do it as soon as you arrive and not potentially screw yourself over by then getting called out and losing your space in line to get a number and head to the back. 

In NYC for I+E it was a little testy, at the last hour before doors opening when they condensed the line people were trying to cut in while the rest of us had sat in the sweltering July mid-day sun.  So we all were flailing our numbers around and shouting "get a number!  back of the line!".  For 360 at Philly we got wristbands for the queue so it was a little more official maybe. 

Both times I got there probably between 1-2pm and was either at the rail or just one person was in front of me.

Overall - if you're willing to wait a few hours, wear sunscreen, bring food, water, some emergency toilet paper, and hand sanitizer.

I remember hearing about that. Wasn't security screaming they hate u2 fans or something like that?

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
Roll calls start like 3 days before for The Boss & The ESB......!!!!!!!

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 12:49:00 AM »
Given the stage setup for this tour, being at the very front rail is not a great spot. When there is a secondary stage the best spot to be is dead center a few feet back from the secondary stage. That way the band will be in front of you the entire time and you won't have to keep turning around so you can have the privilege of looking at the back of their heads. Dead center near the secondary stage is also where you will find the best sound. Since the Seattle show is on a weekend the line will get long much earlier in the day. Keep this in mind. Still, if you show up by noon or 1pm you should have your pick of some pretty good spots. I have always found U2 shows to be quite easy when it comes to lines and getting the spot that you want. U2 doesn't have nearly as many professional line gruelers like the Grateful Dead did. Same with the Stones. We used to wait in line overnight for the Grateful  Dead. You also had to be militant about keeping jerks off your back who would show up at the last minute and try to cut the line. That scene was nuts, especially in the later years. U2 is a lot more mellow.

The 360 tour was a different story because of the type of stage. In that case it was all about being dead center inside the inner circle because the band was very close and right in front of you the entire time. Bono would cruise around the perimeter and sometimes would be right on top of us. He dropped a rose right in my friend's lap at the 360 show in Oakland.

The I&E tour was different still because in that case you didn't want to be anywhere near ANY of the interior rails. Folks on the interior rails couldn't really see anything, especially when that screen dropped down. The best place to be for that tour was half way back on the outside perimeter of the floor.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
1. Trade your tickets with somebody who has tickets for Philadelphia or East Rutherford, NJ
2. Sell recently traded tickets to me at face value + fees
3. Enjoy reviews of the Seattle show on the internet
4. I'll enjoy the Philadelphia or East Rutherford show and give you a full report

We both win!  ;)

Seriously though, I've done GA multiple times for stadium and arenas. The only show that I ever waited outside the venue for GA for a long period of time was Madison Square Garden in 2015. Made inner circle for two 360 shows, outer rail for one 360 show, and approximately 10 rows of people back, dead center for 2 Elevation and 1 Vertigo tour.

Scope out where you want to stand ahead of time. Bee line to the spot. Don't leave it for any reason unless the people around you are cool :)