Author Topic: Joshua Tree 30th Ann. Edition - Vinyl, CD or Both  (Read 926 times)

Offline tomdbomb

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Joshua Tree 30th Ann. Edition - Vinyl, CD or Both
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:31:24 AM »
What are the thoughts on buying both the Vinyl & CD Super Deluxe versions for the 30th Anniversary Edition.

Am I just mad even considering it given there's a download card included in the Vinyl version?

For Achtung Baby we had the Uber Deluxe Edition which had both.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Joshua Tree 30th Ann. Edition - Vinyl, CD or Both
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:59:37 AM »
I can't imagine why anyone would consider getting both the CD and vinyl of this, but to each their own.  I don't do vinyl.  I'm leaning toward download only, and am only considering the CD set for the big book.  Maybe if the price drops considerably after it's released.  Otherwise, $25 seems expensive enough for 1 live disc and 6 new mixes.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
It's up to you as a collector. I'm happy with a physical copy and a digital download. I tend to have most U2 albums on both CD and vinyl since they're my favorite band, but overall I'd rather have the vinyl and a digital copy. I still buy CDs but they don't get much use after I upload them to my iTunes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:57:46 AM by Thunder Peel »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
If I had the money, I would get the vinyl set, but since I already own three copies of this album (including an original LP pressing), I'm just sticking with digital since it's much cheaper.

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
I'll buy vinyl box.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »
None. I already bought JT 3x. I bought the original cd. I bought the JT gold cd. I bought the 20th anniversary box set. What is the point of buying the new set?

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
None. I already bought JT 3x. I bought the original cd. I bought the JT gold cd. I bought the 20th anniversary box set. What is the point of buying the new set?

Most collectors are long past 'a point'

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
Not buying any of them unless they bring tour to Australia, fan's Down Under not happy with being left off another tour by the band.

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:46:38 PM »
Not buying any of them unless they bring tour to Australia, fan's Down Under not happy with being left off another tour by the band.

I'm sure they'll be down there and South America too.  I thought it was odd that SOI never made it there.  I'm sure it's all part of the larger picture ...touring that is.

I'll be happy to pay a premium just for the new JT remixes.  I don't need another JT box set; I have the original cd, the MFSL gold cd version, the iTunes download and the remastered 20th box set already - just give me the new stuff PLEASE!

Does anyone find it odd that the new box set is being release on June 2nd ...two weeks into the tour?  If you were a fly-on-the-wall (sorry) during that strategic meeting, what were their reasons for that date?  It seems like a month before the tour would have been better.  Perhaps SOE is about to drop prior.  Thoughts?

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »
I use to be a hardcore U2 collector back in the mid 80s ...when all we had was Record Collector - remember that publication?  Ebay didn't exist, so it was really hard to find the early Irish pressings that were truly rare since the band didn't have the demand they now have.

In the collecting field 100 or less is considered very rare, 1000 hard to find (HTF) and everything that says "Collectors Edition" or Limited Edition" means nothing ...it'll never be worth what you paid.  However, I will admit the new box set look very impressive.  I just wish they hadn't released the 20th just a few years back ...I'm getting old, as that was already 10 years back ...geeez.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:30 AM »
A "mate" of mine has loaned the cassette out from the Library. If you have a blank cassette I'll get him to tape it for you. You'll have to be quick though, it's due back a week on Monday.

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 02:43:31 AM »
A "mate" of mine has loaned the cassette out from the Library. If you have a blank cassette I'll get him to tape it for you. You'll have to be quick though, it's due back a week on Monday.

That's fantastic!  I'll send a fresh metallic particle Memorex Chrome Bias II cassette tape your way, and be sure to flip the Dolby Noise Reduction switch to the "On" position during recording.  No need to rewind the tape, as I'll just start with side two: Red Hill Mining Town ...if memory servers correctly.  Please don't smear the ink when making my label.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »
I'm still waiting on my Betamax version of Rattle and Hum.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
I'm still waiting on my Betamax version of Rattle and Hum.
:P

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
Actually the 2CD and shirt deal on u2.com is pretty decent.