Author Topic: Stereogum Article on Pop  (Read 744 times)

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
Stereogum Article on Pop
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »
Yet another article that, I think justifiably, bemoans the 21st century 'safe' incarnation of U2 at the regret of losing their sense of adventure and experimentation. It quite frankly hits the nail on the head. And once again, it's nice to see Pop getting a reappraisal.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
Re: Stereogum Article on Pop
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
what a fantastic review/or whatever you call something 20 years on   I loved POP at the time and still do - the tour was hit in Europe e.g. 150k at a gig in Italy, but some concerts in USA apparently not great and the whole project struggled to recover   For me Discotetheque, Please, Feel LovE AND Velvet Dress amongst best they have ever delivered   

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
A really thoughtful and insightful review, especially regarding is effects on the band. I have loved Pop since it was first released and saw Popmart in Toronto. It still sounds amazing whenever I play it.  As a fan since the 1980s the transformation between 1987 to 1997 was staggering and I loved the journey. Although there have been many great songs since 2000 I don't think that the musical transformation has continued by such a degree.  Hopefully the band will come to appreciate Pop in the coming years. If I met them I would tell them that it was magnificent (pardon the pun). 😅

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:09 PM »
WOW that really was a great read. Thought it'd be another by-the-numbers "making of the album" article. That was great!

i've never regretted not seeing the Popmart tour <even thought i was 15 and "could" have seen it> more than i have this past month :(

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
Yet another article that, I think justifiably, bemoans the 21st century 'safe' incarnation of U2 at the regret of losing their sense of adventure and experimentation. It quite frankly hits the nail on the head. And once again, it's nice to see Pop getting a reappraisal.

Remember how POP and the tour were treated in the American press back then? I wonder if the band is happy to see people have largely changed their opinion, or pi**ed off at the damned if you do/don't aspect.

But I agree that there ought to have been a lot more "do" when it comes to getting outside the box. This is why I'm not excited about the JT anniversary tour. They may move so deep into an nice comfy spot inside the box that they never leave.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »

Remember how POP and the tour were treated in the American press back then? I wonder if the band is happy to see people have largely changed their opinion, or pi**ed off at the damned if you do/don't aspect.

But I agree that there ought to have been a lot more "do" when it comes to getting outside the box. This is why I'm not excited about the JT anniversary tour. They may move so deep into an nice comfy spot inside the box that they never leave.
Well put. Edge saying that the tour may spark some creativity in them to write new song songs scares me even more... that makes for over-nostalgiac garbage like City Of Blinding Lights (an obvious allusion Streets. At least to me anyway).

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 09:16:01 PM »
Thanks.

This was a great read.  I can't argue with anything it said.

I sure miss those days.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »
Great article. Thanks for sharing!