Author Topic: Tedder working with Steve  (Read 6428 times)

monopoly

Tedder working with Steve
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »
Well he's in the studio with u2 and Steve lillywhite. Maybe he's working on the best thing?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ... maybe they're trying to write another SFS

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Tedder working with Steve
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »
*grabs the popcorn*

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
(gulp)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
Well, he's not writing the songs, so let's not blame him for any crap songs that emerge.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »
Really, really bad news IMO.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Oh god no. Ryan Tedder is utterly terrible news.

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
He's a bulbous sack of pus on the bubonic plague riddled body that is modern day chart music. f*** him.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »
Tedder played a significant role in SoI, didn't he? That album had real potential--a little less polish and it could have been great. They overcooked it, though.

Maybe SoE will be less overcooked and a better album? I don't particularly like pop-rock, but Tedder is a very highly respected writer/producer for a reason. He is one of the best "new" (as in, came on the scene within the last 10 years) producers U2 could work with.

I'm reserving judgment at this point. Ultimately, it's going to come down to a couple things. 1) U2's own ability to write good songs (I'm inclined to believe they still have it) and 2) whether or not U2/their producer(s) overcook the album. It's less to do with the producer and more to do with the musicians themselves.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He's a bulbous sack of pus on the bubonic plague riddled body that is modern day chart music. f*** him.

Definition of bile right there kids.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
Tedder played a significant role in SoI, didn't he? That album had real potential--a little less polish and it could have been great. They overcooked it, though.

Maybe SoE will be less overcooked and a better album? I don't particularly like pop-rock, but Tedder is a very highly respected writer/producer for a reason. He is one of the best "new" (as in, came on the scene within the last 10 years) producers U2 could work with.

I'm reserving judgment at this point. Ultimately, it's going to come down to a couple things. 1) U2's own ability to write good songs (I'm inclined to believe they still have it) and 2) whether or not U2/their producer(s) overcook the album. It's less to do with the producer and more to do with the musicians themselves.

The reason he was brought in was to provide a sense of 'melody' - Bono compared the situation to writing good lyrics but finding a melodist to fit them, citing The Beatles as an example of a band who could write great lyrics AND great melodies.

I'm sorry Bono, but you cannot seriously compare Ryan Tedder to Lennon/McCartney. His songs are bland, bland, bland and epitomises the current sorry state of the charts. I'd rather have failed experimentation than the painting by numbers melodies that Tedder provides.

An embarrassing state of affairs it has to be said. Madonna levels of mid life crisis going on here - no surprise, most probably being badly advised by Guy Oseary.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:47:37 PM by MattD »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
We can assume that this is taking place during the mastering of the album, so they're in too deep to go back and restart the album-making process... Actually, U2 could end up scrapping everything they have and go in a direction with more "soul", or whatever nonsense they come up with this time.

I'm both scared and eager to hear SOE. Will it be an EDM sh**-fest or a sophisticated and mature sounding album from a band that acts their age? Could it be another mixture of the two, like with NLOTH and SOI? It's anyone's guess at this point, but my money is on option one.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »

I'd say that the overcooking is a result of Tedder's influence.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »
I do think Ryan Tedder has talent as a songwriter and I do like a few OneRepublic songs but so many of them these days I think are really bland. Very dull and generic sounding. I'd hate to think of U2 doing the sort of bland stuff Tedder does these days! OneRepublic weren't like this in their earlier days though. Their sound was very different. My favourite song of theirs is an early one and I think it's a style Tedder should have done more of as it has more going for it than the dull stuff he does these days. It's called Sleep and it's very Radiohead-ish/Muse-ish/Jeff Buckley-ish. See what you think:

Sleep

I wish they'd carried on in this vein. I do love this track. I love the way it slowly builds.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:34:21 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
I don't particularly like Tedder, but why do people think he will only produce songs like SFS?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:55 PM »
I don't particularly like Tedder, but why do people think he will only produce songs like SFS?
Do we have any reason to think otherwise? Like Spaderholic said, OneRepublic has become even more bland and generic in recent years.