Author Topic: Tedder working with Steve  (Read 6275 times)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
Re: Tedder working with Steve
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really, really bad news IMO.

Agree 100%. MOR pop sheen and hooks is Ryan Tedder's wheelhouse.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »
Tedder played a significant role in SoI, didn't he? That album had real potential--a little less polish and it could have been great. They overcooked it, though.

Maybe SoE will be less overcooked and a better album? I don't particularly like pop-rock, but Tedder is a very highly respected writer/producer for a reason. He is one of the best "new" (as in, came on the scene within the last 10 years) producers U2 could work with.

I'm reserving judgment at this point. Ultimately, it's going to come down to a couple things. 1) U2's own ability to write good songs (I'm inclined to believe they still have it) and 2) whether or not U2/their producer(s) overcook the album. It's less to do with the producer and more to do with the musicians themselves.

The reason he was brought in was to provide a sense of 'melody' - Bono compared the situation to writing good lyrics but finding a melodist to fit them, citing The Beatles as an example of a band who could write great lyrics AND great melodies.

I'm sorry Bono, but you cannot seriously compare Ryan Tedder to Lennon/McCartney. His songs are bland, bland, bland and epitomises the current sorry state of the charts. I'd rather have failed experimentation than the painting by numbers melodies that Tedder provides.

An embarrassing state of affairs it has to be said. Madonna levels of mid life crisis going on here - no surprise, most probably being badly advised by Guy Oseary.

That's really down to musical taste. I don't think Bono was in any shape or form comparing Tedder to Lennon/McCartney, but rather saying he's talented melodically in his own right. There are a lot of people who LOVE the stuff Tedder has come up with. As more of a rock/alternative fan, his music generally isn't my cup of tea, but I get why he's so well respected.

Tedder played a significant role in SoI, didn't he? That album had real potential--a little less polish and it could have been great. They overcooked it, though.

Maybe SoE will be less overcooked and a better album? I don't particularly like pop-rock, but Tedder is a very highly respected writer/producer for a reason. He is one of the best "new" (as in, came on the scene within the last 10 years) producers U2 could work with.

I'm reserving judgment at this point. Ultimately, it's going to come down to a couple things. 1) U2's own ability to write good songs (I'm inclined to believe they still have it) and 2) whether or not U2/their producer(s) overcook the album. It's less to do with the producer and more to do with the musicians themselves.
I'd say that the overcooking is a result of Tedder's influence.

I would disagree. Overcooking has been a U2 problem for 17 years now. ATYCLB and HTDAAB were slightly overcooked but still (to most) solid albums. NLOTH was VERY overcooked and Tedder was not involved in it. SoI was slightly less overcooked.

I would not blame this on Tedder, I'd blame it on U2 (or rather, specific members of U2). It seems like they've been chasing pop relevance for the last decade and it has led to them second guessing the music they create. If not for this, we'd have another 2-3 albums out by now.

I'm just saying, people should really think about this more before they get angry about Tedder working with U2. All of the problems with U2's music over the last 10-15 years have been THEIR problems, not the fault of the producer. A producer isn't a magician, they can't fix subpar work. If we're looking for someone to blame for the music that's come out, it's not the producer, it's the band.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:47:43 AM by tigerfan41 »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
Are they really this desperate? Last week my 6 yr daughter was watching a kids awards show and one of the awards was for best musical act. One Republic was one of the nominees. Now this awards show was aimed squarely at kids between 5 - 10 yrs old. This is the guy U2 are going to for advice and to produce them? Are they this outta touch? What happened to the Bono who once said "f**k the pop kids".

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 12:59:26 AM »
Are they really this desperate? Last week my 6 yr daughter was watching a kids awards show and one of the awards was for best musical act. One Republic was one of the nominees. Now this awards show was aimed squarely at kids between 5 - 10 yrs old. This is the guy U2 are going to for advice and to produce them? Are they this outta touch? What happened to the Bono who once said "f**k the pop kids".

As bad as OneRepublic can be, trust me, there are FAR worse acts out there. Pop radio today is such that bands like OneRepublic and Twenty One Pilots are actually considered GOOD bands. Up til the last album of theirs, I'd happily listen to a OneRepublic song above any of the other dredge on the radio. Also, lots of bands are nominated for kids awards, even Coldplay in their heyday. Doesn't cheapen the music, it's just another award show like the Grammy's.

Tedder has worked with artists like Adele, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift. We might not like any of those artists, but they are considered some of the best artists in music today. In the case of those first 3, justifiably so because they are good singers.

This is not like U2 working with, say, Justin Bieber or heck, even Ed Sheeran (who, while being talented, I don't think deserves to work with U2 just yet). They're working with a guy who has a crazy amount of experience and respect in the industry. Again, I am not a fan of his but as a amateur musician, I get why he's respected and why certain artists are HUGE today. That's why I'm not panicking about him working with U2. It could end up being good. He did a decent enough job with SoI, which makes me optimistic that he and Lillywhite can do an even better job on SoE.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 05:46:08 AM »
wish they would have the mentality they had at the 3:40 mark

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »
*shrug* As long as SOE is at least as good as SOI, I don't care who is producing.

Offline U2Fan

• Refugee
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
Best time/day to hang out outside of Electric Lady?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »

As bad as OneRepublic can be, trust me, there are FAR worse acts out there. Pop radio today is such that bands like OneRepublic and Twenty One Pilots are actually considered GOOD bands. Up til the last album of theirs, I'd happily listen to a OneRepublic song above any of the other dredge on the radio. Also, lots of bands are nominated for kids awards, even Coldplay in their heyday. Doesn't cheapen the music, it's just another award show like the Grammy's.

Tedder has worked with artists like Adele, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift. We might not like any of those artists, but they are considered some of the best artists in music today. In the case of those first 3, justifiably so because they are good singers.

This is not like U2 working with, say, Justin Bieber or heck, even Ed Sheeran (who, while being talented, I don't think deserves to work with U2 just yet). They're working with a guy who has a crazy amount of experience and respect in the industry. Again, I am not a fan of his but as a amateur musician, I get why he's respected and why certain artists are HUGE today. That's why I'm not panicking about him working with U2. It could end up being good. He did a decent enough job with SoI, which makes me optimistic that he and Lillywhite can do an even better job on SoE.

Every artist you named (Adele, Beyoncé,Taylor Swift, etc...) are all pop acts. U2 is a rock band. U2 have never done pop very well, and nearing 60 years old it's pretty unlikely that they ever will. If Tedder as a producer is responsible for the overproduced pop sheen on the first half of SOI I hope that he never comes close to recording a U2 song again.

Online DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »
wish they would have the mentality they had at the 3:40 mark

That ship has sailed a long time ago, with that band aboard.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
How is the same band that made so many smart decisions for 30 years not able to see how dumb of a decision this is?   

There are so many innovative, fresh, and talented producers out there that would drop everything to work with U2....why pick this guy.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »

The pop stars you mention there are not considered 'the best artists in music today'. They are the most popular I will grant you that, but the 'best'? Since when has popular been the best? You've got to be joking.

The reality is all those pop stars create bland wallpaper music, and U2 seem hellbent on joining that lot. U2 are meant to be 'alternative' - I.e. Alternative to the mainstream providing artistically rewarding music. Whatever happened to the Bono who he said he wanted to 'f*** the mainstream up'? They've lost their nerve - Bono's becoming beyond the joke.

I cannot believe such a pathetic publicity stunt and cheap ploy for an audience is from the same artistically challenging band that gave us all those great albums. Just absolutely perplexing.

There is absolutely no excuse to work for such a cheap tacky producer when there are many talented, young and boundary pushing producers out there today.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:21:21 AM by MattD »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »

The pop stars you mention there are not considered 'the best artists in music today'. They are the most popular I will grant you that, but the 'best'? Since when has popular been the best? You've got to be joking.

The reality is all those pop stars create bland wallpaper music, and U2 seem hellbent on joining that lot. U2 are meant to be 'alternative' - I.e. Alternative to the mainstream providing artistically rewarding music. Whatever happened to the Bono who he said he wanted to 'f*** the mainstream up'? They've lost their nerve - Bono's becoming beyond the joke.

I cannot believe such a pathetic publicity stunt and cheap ploy for an audience is from the same artistically challenging band that gave us all those great albums. Just absolutely perplexing.

There is absolutely no excuse to work for such a cheap tacky producer when there are many talented, young and boundary pushing producers out there today.

Matt, it is possibly that u2 like Tedder for his personal artistic merit and not his media persona. I don't know much about him but I admit on the surface it doesn't look good.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »
I can't really say much about Ryan Tedder but I feel that it's a good thing, that Steve Lillywhite is in the studio with them.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
I can't really say much about Ryan Tedder but I feel that it's a good thing, that Steve Lillywhite is in the studio with them.
Agreed...I think Lillywhite has been very good for them in the past.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
Agreed...I think Lillywhite has been very good for them in the past.
same here