Author Topic: Tedder working with Steve  (Read 5935 times)

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Tedder working with Steve
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While I agree with everything said here that they haven't made a great (or even really good) album in years, I believe that the last few albums have had absolute gold on them.

Moment of Surrender, Magnificent,  Every Breaking Wave, The Troubles, Mercy (release that damn song on an album!) and a few others are among the best material they have EVER written, so the talent and mojo is still there if they wish to call up the muse.

Just my two cents.

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
So, they've become predictable? So has this forum. Here's the cycle: damn a new album before it's ever released,based on who works on it and whatever leaks. Praise the album for a few weeks after it comes out, and talk like they're back and better than ever. Damn the album, or call it mediocre after a few months. Rinse, repeat.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »
So, they've become predictable? So has this forum. Here's the cycle: damn a new album before it's ever released,based on who works on it and whatever leaks. Praise the album for a few weeks after it comes out, and talk like they're back and better than ever. Damn the album, or call it mediocre after a few months. Rinse, repeat.
Pretty much, yeah.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 01:22:51 AM »
Pretty much, yeah.
Haha this is true, I'm sure Tedder is there to help Bono with melodies he's approaching 60 & it must be hard to come up with a great melody at his age ,Everyone's already writing the album off before they've even heard it ,Let's see what it sounds like before we pass judgement

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
I just don't buy "Bono needs help with Tedder writing melodies". Springsteen, Bowie, and other older musicians created some of their best music after 50. Maybe not some of their best selling music, but albums that were still creative and great. Those are U2's peers, not lightweights like Ryan Tedder

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
I also strongly disagree with the idea that it is supposed to get harder finding melodies when you approach 60. Why should this be?

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
WHY so much hate for tedder? (Before anyone shouts at me, i'm a longtime U2 fan!) we forget that probably the main thing people have said about 2000 - U2 is the albums are over cooked and too polished. So long before tedder came along. JUst give everyone a damn break! Not heard a single thing of this next record yet, Besides best thing as a kygo effort (which i actually didn't mind). Just go into it open minded they can't please everyone

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
WHY so much hate for tedder? (Before anyone shouts at me, i'm a longtime U2 fan!) we forget that probably the main thing people have said about 2000 - U2 is the albums are over cooked and too polished. So long before tedder came along. JUst give everyone a damn break! Not heard a single thing of this next record yet, Besides best thing as a kygo effort (which i actually didn't mind). Just go into it open minded they can't please everyone

From what we've heard Tedder had a bigger influence on the 1st half of SOI while the DM produced songs were the 2nd half.

If this is true I don't want Tedder involved at all with U2. The 1st half of SOI is lacklustre at best. The 2nd half saves the album to be somewhat decent.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
WHY so much hate for tedder? (Before anyone shouts at me, i'm a longtime U2 fan!) we forget that probably the main thing people have said about 2000 - U2 is the albums are over cooked and too polished.
Going off of what So Cruel pointed out, California is an extremely overproduced song that sounds very much like something OneRepublic would put out. What (relatively) recently leaked song sounds like California? The Best Thing! That crap has Tedder written all over it.

I just realized you mentioned that song in your initial post... nonetheless, my point still stands.

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »

You're right but that is true of ALL albums ever.  The true measure of what many of us deem a great album is how it holds up over time.

I always found the albums I liked immediately faded from my interest over time.  On the other hand albums that I wasn't fully comfortable with initially ended up being among my lifelong favorites. I think side two of The Unforgettable Fire took a while for me to grasp.  That album for me is one of the few albums I am never back and forth over. It's always a masterpiece for me.  YMMV

As cliche as the criticisms are that follow an album release there are also those who will hail everything U2 release as exceptional.  One side is no more predictable than the other.

Instead of passive aggressively proclaiming that people are predictable because they do not believe or enjoy the same things you do... try asking questions and creating opportunities for bi-lateral communication.

That's what this place is for right?

This community contains the few people on this planet who have digested U2 albums to a level that most of our friends probably find odd. We are one.... but not the same.   ;)

Months removed from the political fights that went on here (of which I was a part) I have thought about my own communication...so I am not singling out this post-er.  I just see aspects of my own opportunities that may (or may not) benefit members of this community.

So in the spirit of community on a discussion board that someone has generou$ly provided us to discuss their favorite band:

We seem to have mixed feelings about the virtues of Ryan Tedder's influence on modern music.

Is there a song that he ever did that is blindingly awesome?  Due to his reputation it should be a given that he has done something amazing.

I just need 1 rock song.  Can someone enlighten me?

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
WHY so much hate for tedder? (Before anyone shouts at me, i'm a longtime U2 fan!) we forget that probably the main thing people have said about 2000 - U2 is the albums are over cooked and too polished.
Going off of what So Cruel pointed out, California is an extremely overproduced song that sounds very much like something OneRepublic would put out. What (relatively) recently leaked song sounds like California? The Best Thing! That crap has Tedder written all over it.

I just realized you mentioned that song in your initial post... nonetheless, my point still stands.

I'm interested to see the credits on The Best Thing. What if it's strictly u2 and kygo? 

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »

That how you test if an album is really great. If it doesn't lose its value over time, it's great. People were in love with NLOTH as a whole when it came out. Especially boots. People compared it to the fly. But now it's kinda lost its edge

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »

That how you test if an album is really great. If it doesn't lose its value over time, it's great. People were in love with NLOTH as a whole when it came out. Especially boots. People compared it to the fly. But now it's kinda lost its edge

Agree. Easy to get caught up in the hype of a release and need to let the dust settle before you can truly judge. That's why some people initially enjoy an album but then quickly tire of it our realise not that great. I have done it with every album post 2000.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
Are they really this desperate? Last week my 6 yr daughter was watching a kids awards show and one of the awards was for best musical act. One Republic was one of the nominees. Now this awards show was aimed squarely at kids between 5 - 10 yrs old. This is the guy U2 are going to for advice and to produce them? Are they this outta touch? What happened to the Bono who once said "f**k the pop kids".

As bad as OneRepublic can be, trust me, there are FAR worse acts out there. Pop radio today is such that bands like OneRepublic and Twenty One Pilots are actually considered GOOD bands. Up til the last album of theirs, I'd happily listen to a OneRepublic song above any of the other dredge on the radio. Also, lots of bands are nominated for kids awards, even Coldplay in their heyday. Doesn't cheapen the music, it's just another award show like the Grammy's.

Tedder has worked with artists like Adele, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift. We might not like any of those artists, but they are considered some of the best artists in music today. In the case of those first 3, justifiably so because they are good singers.

This is not like U2 working with, say, Justin Bieber or heck, even Ed Sheeran (who, while being talented, I don't think deserves to work with U2 just yet). They're working with a guy who has a crazy amount of experience and respect in the industry. Again, I am not a fan of his but as a amateur musician, I get why he's respected and why certain artists are HUGE today. That's why I'm not panicking about him working with U2. It could end up being good. He did a decent enough job with SoI, which makes me optimistic that he and Lillywhite can do an even better job on SoE.

Every artist you named (Adele, Beyoncé,Taylor Swift, etc...) are all pop acts. U2 is a rock band. U2 have never done pop very well, and nearing 60 years old it's pretty unlikely that they ever will. If Tedder as a producer is responsible for the overproduced pop sheen on the first half of SOI I hope that he never comes close to recording a U2 song again.

U2 is a rock band? Not by traditional labels. They are more alternative and, yes, even pop-rock (HTDAAB) than anything else. They've been sort of new wave, alternative, electronic-alternative, adult contemporary, and pop-rock at various points. They've never been a rock band in the same way as, say, Metallica or The Rolling Stones or The Who. The closest they've come to that traditional rock sound is "Bullet The Blue Sky".

I think we can all agree that U2 have been at their best when they've crossed boundaries and not stuck to the same sound. See their 90s albums for an example of this. They drastically changed their sound from TJT to AB and people loved them for it. Many also loved the further changes with Zooropa and Pop. Being a "pop" producer, Tedder pushes them out of their normal sound in a way that Eno or Lillywhite can't. Why do you think they brought in people like Tedder and Danger Mouse? To explore new sounds and perhaps evolve musically.

All really good artists do this. Look at Bowie and how his sound changed over the years. Sometimes bringing in someone totally unexpected can lead you to create music that is more ambitious and creative.

Again, a producer is only as good as his artist. Tedder won't ruin good songs, but U2 may with their repeated tweaking and polishing.

We seem to have mixed feelings about the virtues of Ryan Tedder's influence on modern music.

Is there a song that he ever did that is blindingly awesome?  Due to his reputation it should be a given that he has done something amazing.

I just need 1 rock song.  Can someone enlighten me?

U2 aren't a rock band, they are alternative. It'd be like calling Coldplay a rock band. Preposterous. Even if they were, some artists have had a lot of success with producers they normally would not choose. Sometimes a little genre exploration is a good thing and leads to something more creative.

Here's a list of Tedder's credits for anyone interested: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pretty much, yeah.
Haha this is true, I'm sure Tedder is there to help Bono with melodies he's approaching 60 & it must be hard to come up with a great melody at his age ,Everyone's already writing the album off before they've even heard it ,Let's see what it sounds like before we pass judgement

Exactly. People are writing the album off because of their perceived ideas about Tedder.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that it is supposed to get harder finding melodies when you approach 60. Why should this be?

I'll answer this. As a musician, after a while you tend to run out of or repeat ideas. Imagine you're in a band like U2, one with 14 albums and hundreds of songs released over the span of nearly 40 years. In addition to these, you have a lot of songs that weren't fully developed (many albums start out with 30-40 songs and then are gradually narrowed down to the best of the bunch). You're bound to repeat ideas musically and lyrically. In fact, if you look at U2's lyrics, you can see where Bono has gotten a little repetitious/uncreative lyrically. This is a guy who was at his lyrical prime in the 80s/90s and I'd argue was one of the best lyric writers ever at that time. The stuff he's written since then has been better than probably 80% of what's out there, but it's a long way from where he was at in his prime.

As you age, mentally you do decline some and for creative types, that's often a huge hindrance. So you bring in a young producer who probably has new ideas you'd never think of. It doesn't mean you're going to take all of their suggestions as gospel or drastically change your sound, it just means you're branching out and exploring sounds you wouldn't otherwise explore.

Would anyone here argue that Springsteen or Bowie's music post age-55 is superior to the work they did in their 30s/40s?

Agree. Easy to get caught up in the hype of a release and need to let the dust settle before you can truly judge. That's why some people initially enjoy an album but then quickly tire of it our realise not that great. I have done it with every album post 2000.

I would agree. I loved NLOTH at first, but after comparing it to all of their other music, only a couple tracks are stand outs to me. Contrast that with SoI which I was iffy on at first, but have come to love several of the tracks.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
Pretty much, yeah.

Exactly. People are writing the album off because of their perceived ideas about Tedder.[/quote]

Well, we do have songs like California and (I'm assuming) The Best Thing to go off of. It's not like U2 enlisted the help of Tedder to make rock music.