Author Topic: Tedder working with Steve  (Read 2726 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
Re: Tedder working with Steve
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think there is a precedent for a band whose members are in their mid-50's to have a radio hit.

Believe - Cher (Age 53)
Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly (Age 63)
Beethoven's 9th - Ode to Joy (Age 56)
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (Age 53)
David Bowie Where are we now (age 66)
Elton John UK #1 Are you ready for love (Age 56)
Aerosmith - Jaded US Rock #1, Steve Tyler Age 52

So its rare but it does happen

Offline dan

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »
The album is supposed to be 85% finished.

So the tweaking of the rest by Tedder ( the devil) should not change the over all sound too much.

Who knows he may help in some way.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:42 PM »
Do people really think David Bowie was craving a chart hit when making Blackstar? Of course not, he threw off his inhibitions and made his best album of 25 years.

That's because he was dying. He literally finished some songs on his deathbed.

That's not true - for most of the album, Tony Visconti recounted that Bowie was confident of beating cancer and making more albums. Many of these songs had been recorded prior to a terminal diagnosis, even the apparently ominous Lazarus was not actually referring to his disease. I doubt Bowie would have done things differently if he did not have cancer. Let's be brutally honest here - if Bowie had resorted to hiring the likes of Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth, would the album have been as good? Of course not.

Fine, many may say 'don't criticise an album you haven't heard' and fair enough, but the dull opening half of Songs of Innocence with its bland pop lyrics and forced and plastic anthemic melodies, along with the dreadful You're The Best Thing About Me that we've heard, display very very worrying signs for this album.

It would have been "hallo spaceboy.."  or there abouts..

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't think there is a precedent for a band whose members are in their mid-50's to have a radio hit.

Believe - Cher (Age 53)

Beethoven and believe in the same category..  :)
Referring back to the 19th century is certainly digging deep.

I'm sure there will be a song like Glastonbury that we can add to this list within the next 12  months..

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2017, 10:57:40 PM »
Is that the list? You have got to be joe-king! That's appalling modern chart music right there!

That's up to your interpretation. I see some respected artists/music there and a fair amount of trash. Which is really typical for any music producer--Lillywhite has worked on some real duds, same with other highly regarded producers. Again, a producer can't work magic, they can make some music better than it would otherwise be, but ultimately it's on the musicians themselves to create great music.

Believe - Cher (Age 53)

All of those artists mentioned did this pre-2010 (except for Bowie, but he's a huge exception being a legendary artist). The radio landscape of today is DRASTICALLY different than it was in 2002 when Springsteen had his last massive commercial hit, or 1999 when Cher had hers. Those were the days where even older artists could have pop radio hits.

Nowadays, everyone on the radio is under the age of 45. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Coldplay won't be all over the radio in 5-7 years no matter how radio friendly or catchy or good their music is. Ageism IS a thing in popular music. It has certainly counted against U2 the last couple albums. I mean, "Get On Your Boots"? Not a strong song, but catchy enough to have been a hit in the same vein as Vertigo. But younger people who listen to pop radio don't want to see 49 year olds acting like they're 20-something, trying to be hip. Especially not when they've made the unfortunate decision to wear eyeliner.

There's an exception to all of this, though. Paul McCartney had a hit a couple of years ago called FourFiveSeconds. Except it wasn't just him, it was a collaboration he did with two huge current artists (Rihanna and Kanye West). Really, his only contribution was the guitar and perhaps writing the song itself. Vocally he's not on there at all. I don't know why he did the song, if it was because he just felt like collaborating with those artists or if he sought another radio hit. In either case, he succeeded.

With U2's age, they aren't going to have another radio hit UNLESS they decide to do a collaboration with a younger popular artist. Which, of course, is not what any of us fans really want to see. We don't want to see Swift or Katy Perry taint our great band. I'm open minded about a collaboration because, with the right artist, it has the potential to be great. Even if I don't like specific genres of music or artists, I'm willing to give anything a chance once and if I like it, that's that. I've also said this before, but I wouldn't mind seeing them collaborate with a truly great female artist. Someone like Adele or Lady Gaga could be interesting, but again, it would depend on the song and how well both U2 and the artist fit into it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:33:23 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Child of Grace
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2017, 02:10:25 AM »
I'd argue it's not a case of age, but a case of how long you've been around. People have instant gratification monkey brains these days, they've barely consumed one thing before the shine wears off and they're demanding something new. For a band that's been around 40 years, good luck catching the public's attention like they did in the 1980s/1990s.

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2017, 06:39:49 AM »
Ok so we have Tedder on board again but the difference with this upcoming SOE album compared to SOI is that Steve Lillywhite is on board. Lillywhite will save this album in my opinion and will be one of the main reasons why this album will be great and a massive improvement on SOI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »
Ok so we have Tedder on board again but the difference with this upcoming SOE album compared to SOI is that Steve Lillywhite is on board. Lillywhite will save this album in my opinion and will be one of the main reasons why this album will be great and a massive improvement on SOI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I tend to feel this way also...hopefully Steve WILL save the album.

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
I just don't buy "Bono needs help with Tedder writing melodies". Springsteen, Bowie, and other older musicians created some of their best music after 50. Maybe not some of their best selling music, but albums that were still creative and great. Those are U2's peers, not lightweights like Ryan Tedder

The battle to stay relevant? That's the only reason I can think of, Ryan Tedder is the definition of current and maybe Bono's mindset is... "hey, if we work with producer who is being successful in 2016/17 then we'll surely get that radio hit"

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
I hate what Tedder did to EBW, it's so boring and dull.

Give me the 360 acoustic version anyday and get rid of this hack. He's like JJ Abrams for the music industry.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
Unless you are a fan of pop rock then I fail to see how Tedder can be seen as a good thing for u2.

I personally come to music generally and u2 for more weight and substance than pop rock - it would appear that in Tedder u2 are looking for someone to help them fashion pop rock.

Could be wrong of course but that is my gut feeling - and pop rock just does not do it for me personally especially Tedders very mainstream MOR brand of pop rock. I am more than a little surprised that u2 are looking at such a producer/collaborator - especially given comments made by the band about how SOI was too 'nice' and too 'polished'.

I just can't see how the likes of Tedder could be a good thing in developing a sound that moves away from the middle of the road.

Radiohead would be a band i would hold up as something for u2 to aim at so to speak and i just couldn't see them bringing in Tedder.

It is all down to personal taste but i wish they would steer a very wide course away from pop and pop rock but i feel we are probably going to get that from u2 until they give up the quest for 'relevance'....it is a shame to me if that is the case as i think they are better than that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:38:25 PM by an tha »

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »
Radiohead

Preach.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
I'd argue it's not a case of age, but a case of how long you've been around. People have instant gratification monkey brains these days, they've barely consumed one thing before the shine wears off and they're demanding something new. For a band that's been around 40 years, good luck catching the public's attention like they did in the 1980s/1990s.

I respectfully disagree... not about the monkey brains, that part is obviously true.
But bands like the rolling stones and artists like Paul McCartney, they all lose their way eventually. That's before we got anywhere near this age of instant gratification. I think the miracle was designed with this in mind and still didn't catch the world a light.. the hook was there in the first few seconds of play.

Maybe like you said,it has something to do with how long the artist has been doing their art...sooner or later you run out of ideas, good ones at least. Or Maybe it's like fashion sense, the older you get the less tasteful you become? I think they have lost some of their judgement.. not so in touch with the youth culture and relying on tedder to bridge that gap.. so they can still probably create good tunes, they just don't recognize a tune when they hear it. Too busy second guessing what the kids want.

In summary a combination of things, all of which correlate with old age...

Offline The Edges Cat

• Child of Grace
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »

Yeah agree I agree with all that, Bass. It just reminds me how old I'm getting! lol

The moment I go to a U2 gig and I'm surrounded by guys who look like An Tha's profile pic, I'm calling it!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:39:58 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »

Yeah agree I agree with all that, Bass. It just reminds me how old I'm getting! lol

The moment I go to a U2 gig and I'm surrounded by guys who look like An Tha's profile pic, I'm calling it!

Yep..with you on that!