Author Topic: An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart Appreciation Thread  (Read 453 times)

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Count me in as a big fan of this song(s). Likely my fave 5-6 minutes on the Boy album

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, and I also love the dvd version, the handshake between Edge and Adam at the end...

hmmm? Red Rocks or?
No, the Vertigo, live in Chicago dvd...

lol i should have known...

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:41:54 PM »
One song for me, and utterly brilliant. It was my favorite on the album when I first heard it in 1983, its still my favorite of Boy, and no only that its in my top 10 U2 songs.

Live in the early 80's it was the highlight of the show. Here is one of my favorite versions - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - it goes off at 3:37.

And its the highlight of "Another Time, Another Place".

Wonderful song.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
I love the whole trilogy there.  An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart/Out of Control.

It is amazing to me that such a young group created something so original and amazing. 

Have always loved An Cat Dubh.  One of my high school bands played An Cat Dubh at our show in the late 90s.  We did a bunch of songs from Depeche Mode, U2, The Cure and INXS along with some originals.  But we didn't play hits, we played cuts that most folks didn't know.  They probably thought they were our songs.  ha ha.

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
One song for me, and utterly brilliant. It was my favorite on the album when I first heard it in 1983, its still my favorite of Boy, and no only that its in my top 10 U2 songs.

Live in the early 80's it was the highlight of the show. Here is one of my favorite versions - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - it goes off at 3:37.

And its the highlight of "Another Time, Another Place".

Wonderful song.

One song for me too and my favourite 80's U2 song, it's absolutely sublime. They peaked early on  ;)

Offline zoo adam

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »
These songs are one of the reasons why Boy is one of the best debut albums of all time. Up there with the Arctics & Stone Roses debuts.

All of these bands were so young when releasing their albums. 'Definately Maybe' is another classic debut, although Liam & Noel were a lot older than Bono & co.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
oh god Boy>>>>>>>>>>>>anything the arctic monkeys have ever done!

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »
Amazing song that I don't think gets enough love around here... does anyone else adore this track as much as I do? Incredible drumming, interesting bassline (one of Adam's best), and a seemless transition into Into the Heart.

Can we give a little more appreciation to one of the band's greatest early tracks?

Great taste. I love this 1-2 combo and the post punk phase generally. To me, this era has stood the test of time better than all of their others. Also, they can still execute the songs brilliantly live.. the electric company.. OOC , Gloria and the 2 you're talking about..they do not lose anything live today, when say compared to pride,wowy etcetera.

I really love an cat dub but always had mixed feelings about the bass in the verses.. works for the song I guess, but a bit too cheesy and simple. Doesn't detract from the tune.