Author Topic: What if U2 approach the setlist completely differently?  (Read 838 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
What if U2 approach the setlist completely differently?
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
About the only thing that we know for certain about this summer's tour, is that the Joshua Tree will be played in its entirety. While most of us can probably fairly accurately take a gander as to what warhorses will fill the remaining 11-15-ish slots, none of us knows anything for certain.

Having been to a few album-centric tours, it is an undoubtable fact that most artists take the "play the whole album in sequential order" approach, regardless if they place it at the start of the setlist, or someplace in the middle. I most recently witnessed this with Patti Smith, where she opened with her entire debut album, Horses, played in whole. While her show was phenomenal, I do think that I far preferred the approach that I once saw John Fogerty take, when I first saw him in concert a few years ago. He played the entirety of his Cosmos Factory album, though not in sequential order. It was scattered throughout.

With that said, with all of these setlist prediction threads, I don't recall seeing any that functioned in this manner.

Below is my dream setlist, written in that manner. I have also managed to squeeze in a few Pop songs, with its 20th anniversary also being this year.

1. Mofo
2. I Will Follow
3. In God's Country
4. Gone
5. Trip Through Your Wires
6. Exit
7. Until The End Of The World
8. October
9. New Year's Day
10. Pride In The Name Of Love
11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
12. Bad
13. Drowning Man
14. Staring At The Sun
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. Bullet The Blue Sky
17. Running To Stand Still
18. Where The Streets Have No Name

19. Discotheque
20. Beautiful Day
21. Red Hill Mining Town
22. With Or Without You

23. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
24. Vertigo
25. Mysterious Ways
26. Out Of Control
27. One Tree Hill
28. Mothers Of The Disappeared

It's obviously doubtful that they'd play 28 songs (I think that 26-27 is their current longest setlist?); and that they'd play these Pop songs; but, one, can hope, eh?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:21:43 PM by cocamojoe »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: What if U2 approach the setlist completely differently?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:17 AM »
Good luck with your wish-list! Hey, what about Hawkmoon? Surely there's room for this song, if dreams do come true.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:20 AM »
Hawkmoon would be a dream!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, well, I AM a dreamer!!

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »
Yeah, well, I AM a dreamer!!
At the risk of a cheesy pun referencing Lennon, you're not the only one ;)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Good luck with your wish-list! Hey, what about Hawkmoon? Surely there's room for this song, if dreams do come true.
I tinkered around some, and I think that Hawkmoon would work great as an opener, and that it's also flow perfectly into Mofo. Seriously, throw this playlist into your iTunes or Spotify, and tell me that it doesn't work remarkably well.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
I tinkered around some, and I think that Hawkmoon would work great as an opener, and that it's also flow perfectly into Mofo. Seriously, throw this playlist into your iTunes or Spotify, and tell me that it doesn't work remarkably well.
Well, I don't have iTunes or Spotify (whatever that is), but I do like Hawkmoon segueing into Mofo!

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
That list would never happen. Starting with mofo? It's a fantasy list, not a wish list. Although, I'm sure it's a good list and would go down well.

I think this would somehow be more of a memorable event if they kept the album sequence, regardless of its place being start middle or end.. it needs to be the centre piece in my opinion and therefore should go in the middle.. I think that's what they'll do.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »
That list would never happen. Starting with mofo? It's a fantasy list, not a wish list. Although, I'm sure it's a good list and would go down well.

I think this would somehow be more of a memorable event if they kept the album sequence, regardless of its place being start middle or end.. it needs to be the centre piece in my opinion and therefore should go in the middle.. I think that's what they'll do.
Agreed...it makes the most sense. But it's fun to fantasize about the intro songs and encore.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »

I also expect the band to do that, especially as that is how most groups do "full album" tours. My experience with John Fogerty was certainly the exception to the norm.

Regardless, it'd be nice if they'd slip in a few Pop songs for once.

Offline GFY

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
It would be epic if they could play Streets right after RTSS, like they did on Zoo TV. Bono pulls out the harmonica and the lights go down, and then those opening chords from Edge!