Author Topic: Giant lemon  (Read 720 times)

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
Giant lemon
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:41 AM »
I'm wondering when the color of the giant lemon changed during Popmart. It seems to change from yellow to mirrorbowl (or the other way around). In the following video it seems to be both, but it's an effect created by a yellow spotlight. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Does someone know when and/or why it changed?

Offline Magnificent

• Wanderer
Re: Giant lemon
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 04:41:37 AM »
I don't believe it changed. It had a yellow cover over it for most of the gig which was then removed at some point to reveal a giant mirrorball

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »
Covering on 3/4 of it.. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
Yes, the yellow was a covering.  They stripped off the covering to reveal the mirrorball surface just before it rolled onto the B-stage to the Lemon Remix.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
Aha, thanks!

Maybe the lemon is U2's best pieces of art during concert :).

Of course, 360 and I+E was ingenious, too. But the lemon is a very surrealistic thing.

Never seen it in concert, was it as good as the movies?  ;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
Popmart was a gorgeous tour, nothing they do will ever be as offensive to the eyes at the claw......

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
Oh, at the time, the lemon was fantastic.

In hindsight, it was all a bit silly. It didn't really do much, it was based on a song from the previous album, which they didn't even perform live. It was a neat enough prop, but I'm not sure it was as clever as they thought it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In hindsight, it was all a bit silly. It didn't really do much, it was based on a song from the previous album, which they didn't even perform live. It was a neat enough prop, but I'm not sure it was as clever as they thought it was.

very true. and of course the whole Spinal Tap moment of them being stuck in it once. i can't imagine the anxiety or stress of them being stuck in that sillyness.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »

very true. and of course the whole Spinal Tap moment of them being stuck in it once. i can't imagine the anxiety or stress of them being stuck in that sillyness.

Heck, I don't put it past them to secretly have wanted that to happen.  Or even cause it.  It was all about "irony" on that tour.  Having their lemon not work, Spinal Tap-style, just seems a little too on-the-nose.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:27 AM »
The lemon was pure genius..  the best thing ever if you were at the show. Glorious.
Nothing silly in my eyes, all feeling.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
I think it was meant to be silly at the time. The problem with humor is, not everyone gets it, and it rarely ages well. Sort of a microcosm for Pop and PopMart in general, IMO.

One of my favorite show moments ever: I was at a PopMart show, and there was this guy who was a tad younger than me (I was 20 at the time) in front of me who was CLEARLY using some sort of pharmaceuticals. The visuals of the show were BLOWING HIS MIND. At some point, he had removed his shirt and tied it around his head like a turban. When the lemon started to move, the guy was freaking out smiling and laughing. BUT WHEN IT OPENED ...

I cut my eyes over at the guy, and his smile faded. He was genuinely concerned about what was happening. When the band started to emerge, I heard him say

HOLY ****! THEY ARE INSIDE THAT ************! And here, tears began to roll down his face.

I've never seen anything like this before or since. I have my thoughts on what he was on, and I knew at that moment I never wanted any.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
The Lemon is exempt from revisionism.

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
My buddy from college wasn't a big U2 fan, but he was a big "concert" fan (and he thought Discotheque was cool). He drove 3 hours to Pittsburgh from Harrisburg, PA for the PopMart show. He LOVED the lemon. It was the highlight of the show for him. It was all he could talk about.

I still remember the mirrorball lighting up the crowd...gorgeous visual.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
My favorite part is the martini olive on top.  I just thought it made for a really cool visual.