Author Topic: Kentucky can't sell  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Kentucky can't sell
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly do people actually care if a bunch of multi millionaires getting paid by a multi billion pound corporation sell out a venue or not?

Because as fans we want to see U2 do well.
Because tickets sales could influence the itinerary for future shows, meaning that it is about more than just the multimillionaires.

I live in Northwest Alabama. I'd rather not fly halfway across the country next year to see I+E if I can avoid it. If ticket sales are soft in some markets, it matters.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
With sales where they presently are for Louisville, the band easily stands to make around $3-million, if not more, just from tickets (i.e., not including merchandise).

As I've said, tickets are around 90% soldout, with the show being a few months out. There's no possible way that this can be construed as a negative, and especially as if the band is somehow "not doing well".

Case in point, stadium shows in Tampa have consistently failed to sell 100% of tickets, yet they still book there on practically every tour. Same with other mega acts: I saw Springsteen in Pittsburgh last September, and there were about 3,000 unsold tickets. They still made close to $2 million on ticket sales, played for almost 4 hours, and I guarantee you that he'll be back, either w his own band or to play w Joe Grueshecky again. It's not like he'll be thinking, "You know, we only sold 16,000 out of 19,000 tickets, so, despite making over $1.5 million, that night was a failure. Let's not play there again."

Gimme a break.

I do get not wanting to travel crazy far for a show, though. U2 normally plays Atlanta, which is close to Birmingham, but I think that they're renovating the Georgia Dome right now? I know that the new baseball stadium will be up-and-running by then, but they haven't played baseball stadiums with any consistency over the years (Busch and Angels Stadium on the 360 tour is really all that springs to mind).

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Honestly do people actually care if a bunch of multi millionaires getting paid by a multi billion pound corporation sell out a venue or not?

Because as fans we want to see U2 do well.
Because tickets sales could influence the itinerary for future shows, meaning that it is about more than just the multimillionaires.

I live in Northwest Alabama. I'd rather not fly halfway across the country next year to see I+E if I can avoid it. If ticket sales are soft in some markets, it matters.

I can see your point about sales impacting future plans - although it may be the case that they are already well on the way to only or mainly playing major 'markets' time will tell.

As for wanting to see them 'do well' i personally don't really care if they shift 80% of a venue and gross 4m 90% of a venue and gross 5m or 100% and gross 6m or whatever the numbers are.......as a potential consumer (although i declined to buy for this tour) I may possibly lean towards preferring lower sales figures if pushed as that could help drive down ticket prices going forward.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I will say that the vast amount of tickets at $280 for this tour is pretty ridiculous, especially when compared to past tours, both arena and stadium.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »
With sales where they presently are for Louisville, the band easily stands to make around $3-million, if not more, just from tickets (i.e., not including merchandise).

As I've said, tickets are around 90% soldout, with the show being a few months out. There's no possible way that this can be construed as a negative, and especially as if the band is somehow "not doing well".

Case in point, stadium shows in Tampa have consistently failed to sell 100% of tickets, yet they still book there on practically every tour. Same with other mega acts: I saw Springsteen in Pittsburgh last September, and there were about 3,000 unsold tickets. They still made close to $2 million on ticket sales, played for almost 4 hours, and I guarantee you that he'll be back, either w his own band or to play w Joe Grueshecky again. It's not like he'll be thinking, "You know, we only sold 16,000 out of 19,000 tickets, so, despite making over $1.5 million, that night was a failure. Let's not play there again."

Gimme a break.

I do get not wanting to travel crazy far for a show, though. U2 normally plays Atlanta, which is close to Birmingham, but I think that they're renovating the Georgia Dome right now? I know that the new baseball stadium will be up-and-running by then, but they haven't played baseball stadiums with any consistency over the years (Busch and Angels Stadium on the 360 tour is really all that springs to mind).

The Georgia Dome is about to be demolished. A new dome will be opening next door this fall. I feel fairly certain that this is why they didn't play Atlanta this time around.

Birmingham's lone stadium is Legion Field (U2 played there on ZooTV -- good boot of it called Hallelujah, My Girl) and that place is a dump and in an EXTREMELY dangerous part of town. I can't think of any band playing a show there since the mid-90s, when Pink Floyd and The Stones came through.

I had hoped U2 might hit Nashville again this time, but I guess Bonneroo knocked that out.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

Gimme a break.

The Georgia Dome is about to be demolished. A new dome will be opening next door this fall. I feel fairly certain that this is why they didn't play Atlanta this time around.

Birmingham's lone stadium is Legion Field (U2 played there on ZooTV -- good boot of it called Hallelujah, My Girl) and that place is a dump and in an EXTREMELY dangerous part of town. I can't think of any band playing a show there since the mid-90s, when Pink Floyd and The Stones came through.

I had hoped U2 might hit Nashville again this time, but I guess Bonneroo knocked that out.
They should've played either Raleigh or Charlotte, logistically speaking, but it's come out that they turned down an offer to play in North Carolina, but refused to do so over the "bathroom law".

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »

I'm 1,000% with you, An Tha; I find it rather funny that anyone would find anything "concerning" when tickets are at 90%+ soldout, regardless of where in the stadium they may be. They seem to forget that several cities on both the last two tours were slow to sellout (though they did ultimately sellout).

Also, I'm GA for Pittsburgh....... I honestly wouldn't mind if there 1,000 less sweaty bodies down there with me.

As long as they don't have another PopMart on their hands (where some shows were under 50% full), that's really all I care about.

I also wouldn't mind if there were less GA people at Pittsburgh. In fact, I'm counting on it which is why I picked PA above Louisville and other potential shows.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
The last time I checked, Louisville had 1,500 floor tickets still available.  That was probably last week sometime, and the ability to see that is gone now.  This Louisville show will at least look pretty full by the day of the show, even if it doesn't technically sell out.  There won't be acres of empty seats like there were during Popmart.  Tampa and Houston will most likely sell out.  Pittsburgh is probably going to look the most empty out of all of them.  Even 360 had a few shows that didn't sell out, including Pittsburgh (I was there, I saw the empty seats in the upper levels). 

U2 are selling well.  They're still one of the top draws in the concert business, if not THE top draw.  If you want to see stadiums not selling well, check some of the shows by Coldplay or Guns n Roses for this year.  Or check out bands like Nickelback or Kings of Leon, who are unable to fill arenas or 20K amphitheaters to even half capacity. 

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »
The last time I checked, Louisville had 1,500 floor tickets still available.  That was probably last week sometime, and the ability to see that is gone now.  This Louisville show will at least look pretty full by the day of the show, even if it doesn't technically sell out.  There won't be acres of empty seats like there were during Popmart.  Tampa and Houston will most likely sell out.  Pittsburgh is probably going to look the most empty out of all of them.  Even 360 had a few shows that didn't sell out, including Pittsburgh (I was there, I saw the empty seats in the upper levels). 

U2 are selling well.  They're still one of the top draws in the concert business, if not THE top draw.  If you want to see stadiums not selling well, check some of the shows by Coldplay or Guns n Roses for this year.  Or check out bands like Nickelback or Kings of Leon, who are unable to fill arenas or 20K amphitheaters to even half capacity. 

As I said earlier, the Pittsburgh show has crossed the 90% mark. And, I was at the 360 show in Pittsburgh. As I recall, that show was initially billed as the final show, before they eventually announced Moncton. A lot of those empty seats in the upper reaches in Pittsburgh had been sold on Ticketmaster, but then dumped onto the secondary market after Moncton was announced. Some were just diehards who preferred to go to the final show; others were legit scalpers who were losing money, blaming it on Moncton (I met one at a friend's house, and he was saying how the secondary market had no money to really make on that years U2 show, specifically blaming that final Canadian show).

Also, if you go to the Wikipedia page for the current Guns N' Roses tour (which I saw at Heinz Field last summer), and to the tour dates section, you can see which cities didn't sellout. In total, the tour, thus far, is listing at something like 92% soldout. So far as I'm concerned, that's nothing to be ashamed of!

I will also be in the GA for Pittsburgh, btw; in the stands for the second Chicago show, too.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »
Check Guns n Roses upcoming shows on ticketmaster.  I believe I counted something like 30,000 unsold seats for the Denver show (NOT including resale tickets). 

Last year's shows mostly sold well for GNR, but the hype has clearly worn off.  Cities like Miami have 10,000+ unsold seats, whereas U2 sold out a bigger stadium in 1 day.  GNR might still end up with one of the top 10 grossing tours of all time, so it just goes to show ticket sales don't mean everything.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:08:46 PM by podiumboy »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Check Guns n Roses upcoming shows on ticketmaster.  I believe I counted something like 30,000 unsold seats for the Denver show (NOT including resale tickets). 

Last year's shows mostly sold well for GNR, but the hype has clearly worn off.  Cities like Miami have 10,000+ unsold seats, whereas U2 sold out a bigger stadium in 1 day.  GNR might still end up with one of the top 10 grossing tours of all time, so it just goes to show ticket sales don't mean everything.

This doesn't surprise me. The Guns tickets seem grossly overpriced. Same with Coldplay. I can see one of the biggest bands of all time (U2) in GA for a fraction of the cost of a floor seat for Guns or Coldplay. Yes, it is special that the guys got back together, but even that nostalgia doesn't necessitate the absurd ticket prices.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »

Did you see the attendance for Guns' second show in Boston last year? I think it sold about 25 percent. They ended up closing off the entire top section and upgrading people who had bought nosebleeds to lower bowl.

Offline edge726

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
They can't spell either

;) ;)

I kid

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
I will say that the vast amount of tickets at $280 for this tour is pretty ridiculous, especially when compared to past tours, both arena and stadium.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
These poorly selling Louisville and Pittsburgh shows have got me thinking.