Author Topic: Kentucky can't sell  (Read 2637 times)

Online Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: Kentucky can't sell
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How can that be?

It's Kentucky.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 05:15:10 AM »
How can that be?

It's Kentucky.
Best answer yet.

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 06:10:32 AM »
Jacksonville in 1997 had around 52,000 unsold tickets!

Online Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
How can that be?

It's Kentucky.
Best answer yet.

I've lived here for close to two and a half years and I can tell you, it's definitely true. People in Kentucky aren't all that hot for U2 and people outside aren't too hot on Kentucky. Because Kentucky.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »
well, it IS pretty, in parts of it...but, still, Kentucky

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 03:24:48 AM »
Check Guns n Roses upcoming shows on ticketmaster.  I believe I counted something like 30,000 unsold seats for the Denver show (NOT including resale tickets). 

Last year's shows mostly sold well for GNR, but the hype has clearly worn off.  Cities like Miami have 10,000+ unsold seats, whereas U2 sold out a bigger stadium in 1 day.  GNR might still end up with one of the top 10 grossing tours of all time, so it just goes to show ticket sales don't mean everything.

Did you see the attendance for Guns' second show in Boston last year? I think it sold about 25 percent. They ended up closing off the entire top section and upgrading people who had bought nosebleeds to lower bowl.

According to the Wikipedia page on the current Guns N' Roses tour, the "Boston" shows sold 65,472 out of 71,098, earning $8,302,575 in ticket sales.

While I assume that the opening night was either at or near capacity, with the unsold tickets primarily being at the second show (I know that this happened in Chicago, which sold 82,172 out of an available 96,088 tickets, earning roughly the same amount as Boston: over $8-million), that is still the definition of success by any measure.

As I've said again and again, as best as I can tell, both the Louisville and Pittsburgh shows are at, near, or slightly above 90% in terms of ticket sales.

Online Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 04:45:38 PM »

Oh, lots of it is absolutely gorgeous, but really Kentucky.

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »

As I live in Pennsylvania, this Kentucky smack talk is especially hilarious to me, as we jokingly refer to the area between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as Pennsyltucky.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »

As I live in Pennsylvania, this Kentucky smack talk is especially hilarious to me, as we jokingly refer to the area between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as Pennsyltucky.
YES! I grew up near Philly, and we always said Pennsyltucky!
But, let's feel sorry for Kentucky right now...they just lost their game in March madness.

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »

YES! I grew up near Philly, and we always said Pennsyltucky!
But, let's feel sorry for Kentucky right now...they just lost their game in March madness.

Hahaha, I just saw the end of the game at one of my neighborhood bars..... here in Pittsburgh.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
Check Guns n Roses upcoming shows on ticketmaster.  I believe I counted something like 30,000 unsold seats for the Denver show (NOT including resale tickets). 

Last year's shows mostly sold well for GNR, but the hype has clearly worn off.  Cities like Miami have 10,000+ unsold seats, whereas U2 sold out a bigger stadium in 1 day.  GNR might still end up with one of the top 10 grossing tours of all time, so it just goes to show ticket sales don't mean everything.

Did you see the attendance for Guns' second show in Boston last year? I think it sold about 25 percent. They ended up closing off the entire top section and upgrading people who had bought nosebleeds to lower bowl.

According to the Wikipedia page on the current Guns N' Roses tour, the "Boston" shows sold 65,472 out of 71,098, earning $8,302,575 in ticket sales.

While I assume that the opening night was either at or near capacity, with the unsold tickets primarily being at the second show (I know that this happened in Chicago, which sold 82,172 out of an available 96,088 tickets, earning roughly the same amount as Boston: over $8-million), that is still the definition of success by any measure.

As I've said again and again, as best as I can tell, both the Louisville and Pittsburgh shows are at, near, or slightly above 90% in terms of ticket sales.

Yeah, I think the first GNR show sold fine and the second one was problematic. And I have said before, I've heard Pittsburgh has become a tough market for a lot of bands, so 90 percent is probably a solid take.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:47 PM »

Yeah, yinzers unite!!

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Louisville is a great town and worthy of a U2 show.    I would make the trek from St Louis if I knew they were going to play Heartland.    Otherwise, it seems pointless to see them on this tour, not to mention that they're playing acoustically-challenged stadiums.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »

So based on that, surely there's a great chance of selling that final 10% before show night? Interested to know from the ticket and sales nerds the chances of this tour being a complete sell out. Not that it will affect anything band related but for U2 at this stage in their career it would be an amazing achievement if they could completely sell 100% for every date on this tour, i'd love to see it!

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
In for 2 GAs for Pitt. Personally I wouldn't mind walking into the stadium at 7pm and right up to the stage. Assuming that can happen if they don't sell many more GAs