Author Topic: Kentucky can't sell  (Read 2614 times)

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
Kentucky can't sell
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Just checked Kentucky and there's still GA for sale from TM. And there's an abundance of seats all around.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: Kentucky can't sell
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
 How can that be?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
Let them have basketball.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
no kidding!

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:38:27 PM »
Ticket sales actually aren't as bad as you make it sound. For starters, on Ticketmaster, under "type", uncheck the resell tickets. Once you add up all of the available seats, it totals 3,804. For some reason, Ticketmaster has stopped showing the number of remaining available GA tickets; but I'm just going to guesstimate it as roughly 2,000, which would bring the total number of available tickets to 5,804. According to Wikipedia, the stadium has a total of 55,000 seats. Some of the seats, roughly parallel to the stage, are blocked off for sight purposes; but, the volume of available GA tickets likely more than makes up for those lost seats, probably bumping the capacity for this show to roughly 57,000.

With all of that said, based on my estimate of 5,804 available tickets (again, 3,804 remaining seats + what I expect is as many as 2,000 remaining GA tickets), that means that, at present, the Louisville concert is 90% soldout.

I speak for none but myself, but I think that being at 90% soldout thus far is pretty damn good. As today is March 20 and the concert isn't until June 16, I expect that most, if not all, of the remaining tickets will ultimately be sold.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
It's just shocking to see GA tickets available from TM 2 months after being on sale. It's like scalpers didn't even bother

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's just shocking to see GA tickets available from TM 2 months after being on sale. It's like scalpers didn't even bother

This is what happens when you put a show on sale after everyone has already made plans. At these prices, most people can't do two dates, and this show is so close to the other nearest show -- Tampa -- that people (like me) who are already committed to Tampa can't add Louisville.

It's pretty simple. And it is no reflection on U2 or the state of Kentucky. If that show had gone on sale at the same time as the rest, we aren't having this conversation.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
You know, it would really be a good strategy to see U2 in smaller markets. More travel but less secondary prices.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »

This is what happens when you put a show on sale after everyone has already made plans. At these prices, most people can't do two dates, and this show is so close to the other nearest show -- Tampa -- that people (like me) who are already committed to Tampa can't add Louisville.

It's pretty simple. And it is no reflection on U2 or the state of Kentucky. If that show had gone on sale at the same time as the rest, we aren't having this conversation.

And, yet, it's still at 90% soldout.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »
Pittsburgh still has over 2500 GA tickets available plus a slew of other tickets ($35 tickets could still be had as recently as two weeks ago). I'd say that one is selling worse than Louisville and it's been available longer than Louisville.

As someone who wants to catch the guys twice on this tour, it's a good thing for me. I'll be going to Pitt and Cleveland (rather than Cleveland and Chicago as I had planned) since it's cheaper for me and I'm not in as much of a rush to secure tickets for the Pitt concert. But I am hoping the show ultimately sells out.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
Pittsburgh still has over 2500 GA tickets available plus a slew of other tickets ($35 tickets could still be had as recently as two weeks ago). I'd say that one is selling worse than Louisville and it's been available longer than Louisville.

As someone who wants to catch the guys twice on this tour, it's a good thing for me. I'll be going to Pitt and Cleveland (rather than Cleveland and Chicago as I had planned) since it's cheaper for me and I'm not in as much of a rush to secure tickets for the Pitt concert. But I am hoping the show ultimately sells out.
I recently did the math for the Pittsburgh show, and it's actually about 91-92% soldout.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »

I recently did the math for the Pittsburgh show, and it's actually about 91-92% soldout.

That's great but the main point is GA tickets are available 2 months in. Regardless of what's sold, the very fact that you can buy a GA this easily and late in is something that I don't recall has ever happened. Will they sell by opening night? Most likely. But right now for that type of ticket to still be available is not the norm... of. Of course they always do GA drops on show days too.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 11:55:41 PM »

That's great but the main point is GA tickets are available 2 months in. Regardless of what's sold, the very fact that you can buy a GA this easily and late in is something that I don't recall has ever happened. Will they sell by opening night? Most likely. But right now for that type of ticket to still be available is not the norm... of. Of course they always do GA drops on show days too.

Right, regardless of how much the rest of the concert is "sold out", the fact that they still have so many GA tickets available less than 2.5 months before the concert is concerning. In fact, that they have any tickets available now is out of the ordinary. I mean, the Chicago and Cleveland concerts were almost instant sellouts. Just about every other city was, too.

The only thing I can think of is that people are choosing to go to Cleveland rather than PA since it's a weekend show. Being smack dab in the middle of the week is definitely hurting sales.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 01:31:36 AM »
Honestly do people actually care if a bunch of multi millionaires getting paid by a multi billion pound corporation sell out a venue or not?

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 04:31:25 AM »
Honestly do people actually care if a bunch of multi millionaires getting paid by a multi billion pound corporation sell out a venue or not?

I'm 1,000% with you, An Tha; I find it rather funny that anyone would find anything "concerning" when tickets are at 90%+ soldout, regardless of where in the stadium they may be. They seem to forget that several cities on both the last two tours were slow to sellout (though they did ultimately sellout).

Also, I'm GA for Pittsburgh....... I honestly wouldn't mind if there 1,000 less sweaty bodies down there with me.