Author Topic: U2 Record Store Day Release  (Read 8956 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Re: U2 Record Store Day Release
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
Was told by my local record store contact that the pricing for this record is $14.99.  I guess I thought it would be higher.

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
I like the new mix of the instruments, you can really feel the room. Bono sounds pretty good. From the small bit of the chorus we can hear, it appears to me to be the original vocal.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:37:53 PM by Daniel94 »

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
Knowing modern day U2, I'm surprised they didn't destroy the tune by getting David Guetta to remix it and add blasting synths while allowing Ryan Tedder his tacky tricks all over it to ruin the chorus.

The fact they've really just tweaked it is hopefully testament to how good they know the original version is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:40:48 PM by MattD »

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »
I like hearing this version.  Brass section adds some depth and I find his vocal very honest and mature.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
I like the new version. Bono's voice sounds matured and also a bit broken and it fits the theme of the song very well. Hopefully we will soon be able to download it digitally.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »
The vocals were to be expected but I don't like the brass at all. It sounds cheap to me. Was also hoping they'd change the tempo

Online JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
Nice and interesting. I think it's a good way to honor the song to make a new version of it no matter if it's better or worse. Going to try to get a copy :)

There's no mention what the b-side will be, right? Probably none or just the same version?
Found it: the same version on the other side (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:04:04 PM by JFW »

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The vocals were to be expected but I don't like the brass at all. It sounds cheap to me. Was also hoping they'd change the tempo

Just out of interest, what's wrong with the tempo?
I think the main problem is the thin broken vocal that clearly illustrates the deterioration of bono's vocal ability.  They have literally regressed the song.
Not a massive fan of the song anyway it has to be said, but if anyone asked me what the best feature was It would have to be the vocal delivery.

Asked the same question about  2017 mix? I would be more likely to say the tempo...

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »
Nice and interesting. I think it's a good way to honor the song to make a new version of it no matter if it's better or worse. Going to try to get a copy :)

There's no mention what the b-side will be, right? Probably none or just the same version?
Found it: the same version on the other side (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Hopefully not the 2017 lemon mix. Not sure I could handle him re-recording those vocals...

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »

I think the main problem is the thin broken vocal that clearly illustrates the deterioration of bono's vocal ability.  They have literally regressed the song.
Not a massive fan of the song anyway it has to be said, but if anyone asked me what the best feature was It would have to be the vocal delivery.

Asked the same question about  2017 mix? I would be more likely to say the tempo...
It's a good song but definitely there are better songs on the album

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »

Sounds good.....and I can hear the horns this time.

Meh. The only differences from the original are the ways it's worse. And the more of the song we get to hear the worse it will be since Bono can't hit those notes anymore. It's weird that they chose the most vocally challenging song on TJT to re-record. But then, Bono doesn't seem to be very self-aware these days.

Very well put.

Nice that some people will get real enjoyment out of this release. But next time I feel in the mood for RHMT I will reach for my car boot sale copy of the JT that cost me 2 back in 93.

You won't hear a finer version..

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »

Nothing's wrong with it. I had the idea they'd speed the song up live which kind of got me excited. And all this talk about RHMT made me think we were getting something dramatically different.

Offline kshade77

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Wish they would have released this as a non-picture disc album. Most picture disc albums sound like garbage. They could have at least pressed it in red vinyl or something.

Offline slarb

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
I agree. Plus, picture discs usually come packaged in a PVC sleeve which many collectors  say can offgas over time and could result in damage to the vinyl.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

Sounds good.....and I can hear the horns this time.

Meh. The only differences from the original are the ways it's worse. And the more of the song we get to hear the worse it will be since Bono can't hit those notes anymore. It's weird that they chose the most vocally challenging song on TJT to re-record. But then, Bono doesn't seem to be very self-aware these days.

Very well put.

Nice that some people will get real enjoyment out of this release. But next time I feel in the mood for RHMT I will reach for my car boot sale copy of the JT that cost me 2 back in 93.

You won't hear a finer version..

Does anyone else find it funny that the preview clip cuts out 0.1 seconds before Bono has to hit THAT note? Talk about conspicuous in its absence.