Author Topic: U2 Record Store Day Release  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
Re: U2 Record Store Day Release
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone else find it funny that the preview clip cuts out 0.1 seconds before Bono has to hit THAT note? Talk about conspicuous in its absence.

Yeah, I also noticed this. Right when you are anxious to hear that part. ;)

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
Dave,

I re-listened at the recommendation of another person. It fades out as he starts to hit the higher note, but stops before the crescendo. Maybe they put more reverb and delay on that part, or auto tuned it.

Personally in re listening, the first verse has a sorta lounge singer vibe
"Let's go down to red hill.......

......folks the porterhouse is 14.99 all week. Free sides"

Why not keep the original vocals and change the arrangement?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 03:10:26 PM »
Vocals quite good. Orchestrations cheesy, detractingly so. Needs more Larry.
Excellent marketing teaser with that cutoff point where  Bono does seem to be hitting that high range. Surprised it's not really a REMIX unless  what we've yet to hear is dramatically different.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »
Dave,

I re-listened at the recommendation of another person. It fades out as he starts to hit the higher note, but stops before the crescendo. Maybe they put more reverb and delay on that part, or auto tuned it.

Personally in re listening, the first verse has a sorta lounge singer vibe
"Let's go down to red hill.......

......folks the porterhouse is 14.99 all week. Free sides"

Why not keep the original vocals and change the arrangement?

Yes, it is there while fading out, but the fading out masks whether or not it is completely auto-tuned.

It would be cool if he really hit it (even if he couldn't do it reliably live), but it seems unlikely.

That being said, it's doubtful that he could have hit it reliably live in 1987.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
Nice and interesting. I think it's a good way to honor the song to make a new version of it no matter if it's better or worse. Going to try to get a copy :)

There's no mention what the b-side will be, right? Probably none or just the same version?
Found it: the same version on the other side (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Hopefully not the 2017 lemon mix. Not sure I could handle him re-recording those vocals...
I love to laugh!  ;)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
It sounds like  he is hitting the high notes I  am sure he does his voice sounds good slower version but good Wish I could get to hear it live. For those going  you will be in for a real treat.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:06:04 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does SOE happen?
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
It sounds like  he is hitting the high notes I  am sure he does his voice sounds good slower version but good Wish I could get to hear it live. For those going  you will be in for a real treat.
I feel your pain...and share it! I can't believe we're going to miss this...

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
Just as the video fades out you can hear Bono hitting the higher note....I think he's got it. Man, I love hearing this song again. Sounds so pure and raw and I think Bono's vocals (while not quite as strong as the original) are very easy on the ear in a kind of organic, from the heart kind of way.. Brings a smile to my face.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
I don't really get the negativity around this.  It sounds fine to me...and I'm a musician.  Yeah, the short 2017 clip I heard sounds a lot more slick in production and less 'warm' than the original version on TJT...but ya know, they are 30 years older, new recording technology has much higher bit depth...they probably have to do more to 'dress it up'.  I know I'll end up buying the picture disk.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:55:25 PM by aviastar »

Offline OnlyU2

• Acrobat
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
Just as the video fades out you can hear Bono hitting the higher note....I think he's got it. Man, I love hearing this song again. Sounds so pure and raw and I think Bono's vocals (while not quite as strong as the original) are very easy on the ear in a kind of organic, from the heart kind of way.. Brings a smile to my face.

I've listened to it several times now.  I think Bono's voice is beautiful.  Of course I love the original, but this new version is sweet.  I think that 30 years later, he sounds fantastic.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Adam said the chief reason they didn't play this song live back in the day was that it was another mid-tempo song that they feared would plod live. That having been said, I would have thought that the tempo might have been picked up, or that the vocals would have been re-arranged to adapt to Bono's changing voice.

It sounds to me that neither is the case. Bono was still about to go for 'that note' as it cuts out. He sounds great, but the track is only different with unneeded horns (which is true of horns in almost any rock song, IMO). So, if they didn't do anything to this track to make it more accessible live for the crowd or Bono, why do it at all?

The truth is, it has nothing to do with this tour. They wanted to release something to promote the tour, and RHMT is the 'single that wasn't' and has never been played. It would be idiotic to release the original as a single 30 years later, so they did the next 'best' thing: the original track remixed with new vocals.

While this version is fine, it ultimately is a big ol waste of time, IMO.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Adam said the chief reason they didn't play this song live back in the day was that it was another mid-tempo song that they feared would plod live. That having been said, I would have thought that the tempo might have been picked up, or that the vocals would have been re-arranged to adapt to Bono's changing voice.

It sounds to me that neither is the case. Bono was still about to go for 'that note' as it cuts out. He sounds great, but the track is only different with unneeded horns (which is true of horns in almost any rock song, IMO). So, if they didn't do anything to this track to make it more accessible live for the crowd or Bono, why do it at all?

The truth is, it has nothing to do with this tour. They wanted to release something to promote the tour, and RHMT is the 'single that wasn't' and has never been played. It would be idiotic to release the original as a single 30 years later, so they did the next 'best' thing: the original track remixed with new vocals.

While this version is fine, it ultimately is a big ol waste of time, IMO.

Exactly. There is no way this song will be played this way on the tour. Certainly not in this key. 1987 Bono would have had a hard time hitting that note night after night. 2017 Bono would need a miracle to hit it once without digital help. That's not an insult, just circle of life.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
I feel your pain...and share it! I can't believe we're going to miss this...
OH Yeah my pain is deep....

Offline OnlyU2

• Acrobat
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
I'm anxious to hear how Bono pulls off the " Love slowly stripped away" near the end.....

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
I'm anxious to hear how Bono pulls off the " Love slowly stripped away" near the end.....

That's a piece of cake compared to "Hanging on, you're all that's left to hold on to"