Author Topic: U2 Record Store Day Release  (Read 9994 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: U2 Record Store Day Release
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why not keep the original vocals and change the arrangement?

It might sound a bit "off" to hear the instrumentation updated and to keep the 30+ year-old vocals.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
I've always been a bit puzzled by people saying Bono would never be able to sing RHMT now. It's easier to sing than Pride or Bad, and he still manages to perform both of those fairly regularly.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
I've always been a bit puzzled by people saying Bono would never be able to sing RHMT now. It's easier to sing than Pride or Bad, and he still manages to perform both of those fairly regularly.

Going to need a technical ruling on this, but isn't the "Hanging on..." line higher than "In the name..."? Bad is probably a bad example (no pun intended), because when is the last time that was performed without going into falsetto for all the high parts?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »

Going to need a technical ruling on this, but isn't the "Hanging on..." line higher than "In the name..."? Bad is probably a bad example (no pun intended), because when is the last time that was performed without going into falsetto for all the high parts?

Without checking, from listening to both songs the RHMT song IS more vocally challenging to sing. The chorus is tricky, which is why they could not perform it live 30 years ago. Bono couldn't sing it then and, without modifications, probably can't sing it now.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

Without checking, from listening to both songs the RHMT song IS more vocally challenging to sing. The chorus is tricky, which is why they could not perform it live 30 years ago. Bono couldn't sing it then and, without modifications, probably can't sing it now.

I expect it to be some quieted down piano acoustic version.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:49:52 AM by This Dave »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »

I expected to be some quieted down piano acoustic version.

I could see them either doing it acoustically (without piano) or full band but with him singing a step down. Or possibly just rearranging the chorus so that those high notes aren't necessary.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »
I mean, this is based on nothing but my own experience of singing along with U2 songs for a couple of decades - but I really struggle with those high, belted choruses on Pride and Bad, whereas Red Hill isn't that much of a stretch unless I'm having a serious off-day. So, considering Bono can still sing the TUF songs way better than I'd be able to, I don't get why RHMT would be a huge challenge for him. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Also, I would have no objection whatsoever to him using his falsetto for the high parts. :D

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
I mean, this is based on nothing but my own experience of singing along with U2 songs for a couple of decades - but I really struggle with those high, belted choruses on Pride and Bad, whereas Red Hill isn't that much of a stretch unless I'm having a serious off-day. So, considering Bono can still sing the TUF songs way better than I'd be able to, I don't get why RHMT would be a huge challenge for him. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Also, I would have no objection whatsoever to him using his falsetto for the high parts. :D

Even on JT itself, his voice almost breaks with one of the "Hanging on" parts.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »

Which works spectacularly. Cannot wait!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

Yeah, but let's be honest: Bono has never really sung Pride properly live. He most just shouts the chorus.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

Which works spectacularly. Cannot wait!

Yeah but you're not dealing with his 1987 voice that can just about barely do that. You're dealing with his 2017 voice that can't.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

Yeah, but let's be honest: Bono has never really sung Pride properly live. He most just shouts the chorus.

There's some denial going on around here. Guys- it's no offense to Bono. It's just reality. You wouldn't expect Carl Lewis to come out and make the long jumps he could just barely reach in 1987, right? There are a lot of things stylistically Bono has learned these days which he didn't have back then, but the physical limit of his top range now IS NOT going to be what it was back then. And if he could barely even do it back then....
Let's not get all Emperor's New Clothes here.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »
Why are we discussing whether or not he can still sing the high notes on this song when you can clearly hear him shouting "Hanging on" at the very end of the clip?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
Why are we discussing whether or not he can still sing the high notes on this song when you can clearly hear him shouting "Hanging on" at the very end of the clip?

Because studio magic does not necessarily mean live magic.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 05:32:05 AM »
I think they should re release the 1987 video for RHMT. That would really take everyone back to the 80's.

Seriously, if it's being released as a standard single, there should be a video for it. If U2 want to big up an old classic, they might as well go the whole hog.