Author Topic: U2 Songs Covered Well  (Read 1237 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: U2 Songs Covered Well
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anthrax's excellent cover of Exit: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dream Theatre's cover of Red Hill Mining Town : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Dream Theatre's cover of Bad (bit quiet this one) : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ah yes i knew i forgot a few.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
That Anthrax cover of Exit is great, totally forgot about it!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
i dont think i'd heard Dream Theater's RHMT. That was great, and is it live? It sounds studio but the end....

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
revisiting alot of these i think i may make a artists covering u2 playlist i'd have

Dream Theaters' RHMT
Anthrax Exit
Killers UV
Depeche Mode So Cruel
Gavin Friday Fly
NIN Zoo Station
Peter Hollens ISHF
Paul Trinica Drowning Man

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
o wow i totally forgot these guys. i found them when someone shared a VERY random Weezer cover they did...they're an acapella group called Tufts Beelzebubs

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
There was an earlier version of this topic, but I couldn't find it. Here's 2 of the best from that previous thread...

Anneke van Giersbergen's live solo version of Drowning Man:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

and Utada Hikaru's live version of WOWY:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
Jack White's cover of Love is amazing. His guitar work on LIB is blistering and he's so angry in his vocals (recently split with his wife).

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 04:30:10 AM »
^ different strokes, I guess...every time I've heard his version, I've actually been embarrassed for him, it's so bad.   :/

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 06:10:54 AM »
^ different strokes, I guess...every time I've heard his version, I've actually been embarrassed for him, it's so bad.   :/
To be fair, the track is in Jack White's top five most listened to tracks on Spotify.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 06:59:20 AM »
Agreed. I think his rendition of the song is insanely overrated.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
To be fair, the track is in Jack White's top five most listened to tracks on Spotify.

"Sorry" is in Justin Bieber's top 5 most listened to tracks on Spotify, but that doesn't make that song good.  ;)

I agree with imaginary and Wookiee, the cover really IS that bad. What's astounding to me is 1. how it's become popular for him (and maybe that's because the original is so good that even a poor cover of it sounds good) and 2. how in some circles it's actually thought of as being by Jack White and NOT by U2. For instance, some singer performed it on The Voice a couple years ago and they introduced it as "Love Is Blindness" by Jack White, no mention of U2 whatsoever.

As far as covers on that album, The Killers, Depeche Mode, Garbage and Glasvegas all did decent jobs--I would put The Killers and Depeche at the top of that list. I don't mind the NIN cover of "Zoo Station", either. Everything else, not so much. Snow Patrol's version of MW is plodding and boring, I like Patti Smith but didn't enjoy her cover of UTEOTW, The Fray have no business doing any cover of any U2 song, Gavin Friday's cover of "The Fly" is decent but weird and hasn't really grown on me (yet).

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »
To compare Beiber to Jack White seems a bitter to me. Fine, you don't like the song. The Edge apparently did. Regardless, my favorite cover from that album is NIN's Zoo Station. While I love The Killers, I never liked their cover of Ultraviolet.   

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
ok well here's a GOOD quality of the DM cover IF posted

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
i'm liking these female covers of U2 songs. i'm very much over hearing WOWY anymore but the Utada version IF posted is solid

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:18:37 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
To compare Beiber to Jack White seems a bitter to me. Fine, you don't like the song. The Edge apparently did. Regardless, my favorite cover from that album is NIN's Zoo Station. While I love The Killers, I never liked their cover of Ultraviolet.

Sarcasm doesn't really translate well on the internet. I was making more of a joke comparison between the two. I think White is a far superior musician to Bieber, just not a huge fan of his cover just as you're not of the Killers cover. All good.  8)

i'm liking these female covers of U2 songs. i'm very much over hearing WOWY anymore but this version is solid

I think your link is missing? In any event, I have yet to hear a WOWY cover that I like.

Here's a cover of LIB I was just reminded of the other day: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Honestly, the album it's from (In The Name Of Love, a tribute album to raise funds for AIDS charities) has quite a few decent/good covers on it.

All I Want Is You - Jars Of Clay: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When Love Comes To Town - Todd Agnew: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mysterious Ways - TobyMac: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login