Author Topic: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline dislocated

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • "we are our own tribute band now" - Bongo
Re: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:54 PM »
Lee Strobel's books are unconvincing to atheists, they are designed for the believer who might be wavering.

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There's really a debate on this thread on the merits of evolutionary theory?  Hasn't even the church come around on this point?

ETA: Apparently not quite, but the pope has made statements that evolution and the big bang don't necessarily refute Biblical teachings or the existence of God.

I always find it interesting how many people confuse a hypothesis with a theory.

Offline ElectricalVoice

• Stateless
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Yes, it is interesting. Even after it has been explained.

I had no idea evolution would be brought up here. I thought it was about atheism and if that is in conflict with the faith of some members of U2. For me it isn't.

I have no idea why some religious people bring up evolution when the topic of belief and atheism is being discussed. The two have nothing whatsoever to do with one another. I mean... we aren't questioning a scientific theory here, are we? On a U2 forum? That would be ridiculous!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:19:16 AM by ElectricalVoice »

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
As a Christian, I find it tacky for a believer to sort of "crash the party" of this topic and either bash atheists/agnostics or try to evangelize to them, judge them, or thrust their beliefs in people's faces here. It won't work, mostly because this isn't the time or place for it. Have respect for other people's beliefs or non-belief, and don't presume or presuppose why they think like they do. Sometimes not coming across as a self-righteous jerk (not saying that anyone is, just that people may take things that way) is the best way to get someone to see your point of view.

I've visited this thread in order to be able to view U2, their songs, etc. through the lenses/ears of non-believers. Your experiences and thoughts greatly interest me.

I love this thread and will go back to just being a voyeur. :)

Offline mattso88

• Wanderer
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
I am an agnostic when it comes to any organized religion. I feel there is likely some spiritual component to the world though.

As I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate Bono/the band's spirituality. It seems he constantly struggles with it and I have been through similar struggles. My default position just doesn't come from a Christian point of view.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
As a Christian, I find it tacky for a believer to sort of "crash the party" of this topic and either bash atheists/agnostics or try to evangelize to them, judge them, or thrust their beliefs in people's faces here. It won't work, mostly because this isn't the time or place for it. Have respect for other people's beliefs or non-belief, and don't presume or presuppose why they think like they do. Sometimes not coming across as a self-righteous jerk (not saying that anyone is, just that people may take things that way) is the best way to get someone to see your point of view.

I've visited this thread in order to be able to view U2, their songs, etc. through the lenses/ears of non-believers. Your experiences and thoughts greatly interest me.

with that kind of brilliant addition to the thread please add more.....less voyeurism and more brilliant comments please!

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »

with that kind of brilliant addition to the thread please add more.....less voyeurism and more brilliant comments please!
+1

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:47 AM »

+1
Yes, achtungx, come back for more! We welcome your open-mindedness and honesty.

Offline bullettheblue

• Babyface
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:06 AM »
Hey there! I am most certainly an atheist who adores U2. Some of the religious themes or undertones in their songs don't even bother me because I simply love their music so much. It's funny, because Christian music usually really bothers me and I can't stand listening to it. Yet, if it's U2 singing about God, then I don't really care!

Offline bullettheblue

• Babyface
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2017, 01:43:55 AM »
Hey there! I am most certainly an atheist who adores U2. Some of the religious themes or undertones in their songs don't even bother me because I simply love their music so much. It's funny, because Christian music usually really bothers me and I can't stand listening to it. Yet, if it's U2 singing about God, then I don't really care!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »
I'm not an atheist, but I've always found it fascinating that a lot of atheists act more like believers and a lot of believers act as though they essentially believe in nothing.  So my take on that is that it's really almost impossible to know where anyone stands with God, despite what they may profess or not profess.

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2017, 05:01:43 AM »
While I agree that some atheists are evangelical in their views, I find by and large most don't dwell on it much.  When you don't believe in something it doesn't rent much space in your everyday. That goes for anything that doesn't matter to an individual.

It's the people of faith who have the subconscious struggle.  We were all raised to reason and deduce conclusions based on evidence and what we see. YET in matters of faith in a diety, we must put those inherent human attributes aside. Faith by its very definition requires effort. To believe in something we have no proof of.  It's a subconscious conflict... and for some prominent people of faith that inner conflict has publicly manifest itself in... interesting ways. (a mental short-circuit if you will)

If you know your "faith" is absolutely true, it is not faith.  It's blind certainty.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:06:57 AM by pdk »