Author Topic: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
Re: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know early on Bono, Edge, Larry were part of a Christian sect, cant remember what it was called.

Are they part of a mainstream Christianity church now, or is this still the same?

The charismatic group they were a part of was called Shalom. As for now, my sense is that none of them is a Christian in any evangelical sense of the word. Like, they're not sitting around having morning devotions with My Utmost for His Highest and then heading off to midweek Bible study.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
I know early on Bono, Edge, Larry were part of a Christian sect, cant remember what it was called.

Are they part of a mainstream Christianity church now, or is this still the same?

The charismatic group they were a part of was called Shalom. As for now, my sense is that none of them is a Christian in any evangelical sense of the word. Like, they're not sitting around having morning devotions with My Utmost for His Highest and then heading off to midweek Bible study.

you could be right but i have soundcheck bootlegs of them literally having a pre-show prayer circle.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »

you could be right but i have soundcheck bootlegs of them literally having a pre-show prayer circle.

Interesting. But then, virtually every concert or documentary film I watch involves something like that. Alanis does it, FFS, and she's the furthest thing from evangelical!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
every concert youve seen has a prayer circle? well this was def not being recorded for the world to see ala the Justin Timberlake netflix concert's pre-prayer. i'd like to dig that up im not sure what show it was. i didn't collect alot of soundcheck bootlegs.

k so it's a miami march 21st rehearsal. its not on u2start so ill see if i still have the cd.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:51:43 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
every concert youve seen has a prayer circle?

Haha, no. But a lot of the concert DVDs or documentaries about artists I see feature them gathering in a circle for prayer beforehand (and often the artists are not evangelical Christians).

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
every concert youve seen has a prayer circle? well this was def not being recorded for the world to see ala the Justin Timberlake netflix concert's pre-prayer. i'd like to dig that up im not sure what show it was. i didn't collect alot of soundcheck bootlegs.

k so it's a miami march 21st rehearsal. its not on u2start so ill see if i still have the cd.

Yeah, the only concerts I've ever seen a prayer circle at were with Christian artists. How long ago was this rehearsal? Recent or many years ago?

----------

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, I was raised Catholic myself and never really had much of a belief in God until probably age 15. Some stuff happened and it basically just convinced me of the existence of a higher power and stuff has happened since then that only affirms that for me. That said, I'd be best called a questioning Christian, more spiritual than anything else. There's a lot about Catholicism that I disagree with, there's a lot about other denominations that I also disagree with and I've yet to find one that I totally agree with.

One of the things I really enjoy about U2's music is that it seems to be incredibly honest. Bono's written songs that could be taken to be very spiritual/thanking/acknowledging God and he's also written songs questioning God (like Acrobat, IGWSHA and Deadman). I like this healthy mix of the two and as a questioning Christian, I can really relate to all of that.

I think I remember reading that it was part of his alcohol rehab?

I hadn't heard this information about Adam, but I can tell you from knowing people who went through rehab, many rehabs do make religion part of the process. Spirituality can be another tool to stay on track and build a healthier sober life. Wouldn't surprise me if Adam's rehab process included it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »

Yeah, the only concerts I've ever seen a prayer circle at were with Christian artists. How long ago was this rehearsal? Recent or many years ago?

oh duh i didn't finish the date did i. lol it was 2001. let me rip the cd now as a matter of fact. for my own interests.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
Thought this was common knowledge.

U2's travelling pastor, Rev. Jack Heaslip passed away. . .  spent many years on tour with the band, travelling with them and providing spiritual guidance to roughly 500 staff and crew members who were spending lengthy periods away from their family.

Described by Killing Bono author Neil McCormick, as a "gentle, thoughtful, soft-spoken, bearded man with strong spiritual leanings," Heaslip was not well known outside of the crew's circles but was well loved by everyone who knew him.

"Pastor Jack is toasting with God in eternity now. We offer our sympathies and condolences, along with our love and prayers, to the Heaslip family and to the U2 community," the U2 blog posted.

"From the fans he never knew he had, those of us who have also felt his pastoral presence through concerts and albums, we agree with the liner notes from Songs Of Innocence and offer our thanks and fond farewells 'To Jack Heaslip, our North Star,'" it continued.

Heaslip first met the band members in the 70s when they were still in high school at Mount Temple Comprehensive School where he was guidance counsellor and chaplain. He eventually transitioned into an Anglican clergyman, ministering to a congregation of his own in west Mayo.

In 1983, he officiated the marriage of Bono and Ali, and continued his friendship with the superstars for the rest of his life.

In a rare occasion in 2001, he was recorded while he led the prayer before the start of the Elevation Tour in Miami during which he prayed that the people who attended the concert would be spiritually moved by the album, as well as all of the other music released by U2.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
Also, atheist. I went through a similar situation with religion as the band did early on, I just never came back.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
In a rare occasion in 2001, he was recorded while he led the prayer before the start of the Elevation Tour in Miami during which he prayed that the people who attended the concert would be spiritually moved by the album, as well as all of the other music released by U2.

i listened to the bootleg and it didnt have the prayer. maybe it was included in teh concert bootleg itself?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
It was backstage, not part of the show. I've heard it somewhere, not sure where.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »
It was backstage, not part of the show. I've heard it somewhere, not sure where.

yea i heard it too swore i had it on cd. ill look again tomorrow

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
They prayed the night Sheehan passed

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:30 AM »
Im a staunch Atheist and a longtime, hardcore fan of u2  yet im as good hearted, well meaning a person as anyone on this planet

Well put.

Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I agree with both of these statements. But on the flip side, I'm a Christian who can be the most salty, pi**ed off, in your face SOB who ever lived. But all of that has nothing to do with anything, because it's never been about what I've done (or haven't done).
I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, saved by grace and overzealous religious people. And they're all, well, just what I said, friends.

As far as the Shalom group that most of the band was in, and the prayer meetings before gigs; I've read those same stories, too. But I think Bono sums it up better right here:

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
Im a staunch Atheist and a longtime, hardcore fan of u2  yet im as good hearted, well meaning a person as anyone on this planet

Well put.

Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I agree with both of these statements. But on the flip side, I'm a Christian who can be the most salty, pi**ed off, in your face SOB who ever lived. But all of that has nothing to do with anything, because it's never been about what I've done (or haven't done).
I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, saved by grace and overzealous religious people. And they're all, well, just what I said, friends.

As far as the Shalom group that most of the band was in, and the prayer meetings before gigs; I've read those same stories, too. But I think Bono sums it up better right here:

+1