Author Topic: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?  (Read 5416 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Im a staunch Atheist and a longtime, hardcore fan of u2  yet im as good hearted, well meaning a person as anyone on this planet

Well put.

Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I agree with both of these statements. But on the flip side, I'm a Christian who can be the most salty, pi**ed off, in your face SOB who ever lived. But all of that has nothing to do with anything, because it's never been about what I've done (or haven't done).
I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, saved by grace and overzealous religious people. And they're all, well, just what I said, friends.

As far as the Shalom group that most of the band was in, and the prayer meetings before gigs; I've read those same stories, too. But I think Bono sums it up better right here:

+1

+2

It's almost exactly what I've come to believe as well. Slight differences, of course, but mostly the same. Very well stated.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if there are any atheists here who adore U2 like I do. I love U2 and have no problem with their beliefs, I know many of their songs contain Christian themes, such as God and Jesus, and I just wanted to see if there was anyone here like me.
Count me among the ranks! For me, its not about the religious beliefs, its about The Edge and his many sounds....

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
Im a staunch Atheist and a longtime, hardcore fan of u2  yet im as good hearted, well meaning a person as anyone on this planet

Well put.

Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I agree with both of these statements. But on the flip side, I'm a Christian who can be the most salty, pi**ed off, in your face SOB who ever lived. But all of that has nothing to do with anything, because it's never been about what I've done (or haven't done).
I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, saved by grace and overzealous religious people. And they're all, well, just what I said, friends.

As far as the Shalom group that most of the band was in, and the prayer meetings before gigs; I've read those same stories, too. But I think Bono sums it up better right here:

+1

+2

It's almost exactly what I've come to believe as well. Slight differences, of course, but mostly the same. Very well stated.

Just one more thing about that article, and I’ll get out of here.
I think Bono, in a nutshell,  is making some parallels with the lyrics in The Playboy Mansion here. If you take the God angle out of TPM, the song could be about status and vanity. From the Christian perspective, though, it might still be about those things, but I think it goes a few layers deeper. Reminds me of a thread from 2008:

And maybe that’s where this part of the conversation picks up…
Cheers

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
To the original poster, welcome, and you are to be congratulated on letting U2's art speak to you in its own way and not being 'turned off' by its message. IMO, people who avoid U2 because they are put off by their Christianity are just as closed-minded as Christians who won't listen to anything other than faith-based music.

U2 are my favorite band, and I am a devout, albeit 'salty' Christian, but my second-favorite band is R.E.M., and while Michael Stipe is said to be Buddhist, spirituality has rarely if ever been a theme in their music.

Again, welcome.

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if there are any atheists here who adore U2 like I do. I love U2 and have no problem with their beliefs, I know many of their songs contain Christian themes, such as God and Jesus, and I just wanted to see if there was anyone here like me.

Don't worry if there is an atheist about, they'll tell you about it....repeatedly.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »

Don't worry if there is an atheist about, they'll tell you about it....repeatedly.

Hm.  A genuine question, and this is the response?

It takes all types.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »

That's a cheeky remark, but a funny one. If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »

That's a cheeky remark, but a funny one. If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)
😋😋😋

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Many of us suffer consequences for admitting lack of belief. I've lost friends and strained family relations. So for someone to come on and ask this question on a forum for this band isn't a given or easy.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »

Well put.

+1

+2

Just one more thing about that article, and I’ll get out of here.
I think Bono, in a nutshell,  is making some parallels with the lyrics in The Playboy Mansion here. If you take the God angle out of TPM, the song could be about status and vanity. From the Christian perspective, though, it might still be about those things, but I think it goes a few layers deeper. Reminds me of a thread from 2008:

And maybe that’s where this part of the conversation picks up…
Cheers

That is super interesting, thanks for sharing!

Many of us suffer consequences for admitting lack of belief. I've lost friends and strained family relations. So for someone to come on and ask this question on a forum for this band isn't a given or easy.

That's too bad to hear. And certainly not reflective of what many take Jesus' teachings to mean (in other words, to accept people, hate the sin, not the sinner et all). I think a lot of times people hide behind religion and use it as a reason to hate people or punish people, when religion at its purest isn't that at all. That's really all I'll say because I don't intend to start a debate on religion here.  :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
For the record i absolutely do not believe in God/Jesus etc...

I have no problem with people who do - we are all free to believe whatever we want....but for me it is something I have never been attracted to and I don't understand personally how people are attracted to it....but as I say it is their choice as mine is mine.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
For the record i absolutely do not believe in God/Jesus etc...

I have no problem with people who do - we are all free to believe whatever we want....but for me it is something I have never been attracted to and I don't understand personally how people are attracted to it....but as I say it is their choice as mine is mine.

Yup, and people on both sides of the aisle (and everyone in between!) should have this attitude. The world would be a more peaceful place for sure.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »

Religious people will do worse.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 01:17:21 AM »
Thank you to all who have kept this thread going smoothly. You know who you are, and we appreciate it. But we’re starting to get into that area of finger pointing and stereotyping in a hot button topic, and that won't go anywhere good.
So keep it cool folks.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »
Thank you to all who have kept this thread going smoothly. You know who you are, and we appreciate it. But we’re starting to get into that area of finger pointing and stereotyping in a hot button topic, and that won't go anywhere good.
So keep it cool folks.

Really? There's nothing in this thread that makes it stand out from any others.