Author Topic: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?  (Read 5414 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Any Atheist U2 Fans here?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 05:29:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if there are any atheists here who adore U2 like I do. I love U2 and have no problem with their beliefs, I know many of their songs contain Christian themes, such as God and Jesus, and I just wanted to see if there was anyone here like me.

Don't worry if there is an atheist about, they'll tell you about it....repeatedly.

That's a cheeky remark, but a funny one. If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)

...Well, at least the atheist will still sit beside you. Put the religious profiles in the mix : some of them won't sit next to each other and others won't even dare enter into the bar in the first place...

One of the things I love about Bono is that I know he's really into religion etc... But even if he appears to be "preaching" in concert, he is very, very respectful of everyone's beliefs. He has a truly tolerant attitude over this. And it always surprises me.

I think Bono is inspired by religion the same way other artists are inspired by Bob Dylan or the Beatles... I don't particularly like Bowie, for instance, but I'm grateful he inspired so many artists I love. I guess I could say that about god : don't believe in him but faith has had an amazing effect on Bono. I respect that.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if there are any atheists here who adore U2 like I do. I love U2 and have no problem with their beliefs, I know many of their songs contain Christian themes, such as God and Jesus, and I just wanted to see if there was anyone here like me.

Don't worry if there is an atheist about, they'll tell you about it....repeatedly.

That's a cheeky remark, but a funny one. If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)

...Well, at least the atheist will still sit beside you. Put the religious profiles in the mix : some of them won't sit next to each other and others won't even dare enter into the bar in the first place...

Jerks come in all shapes and sizes, colors, creeds and nationalities. I respect people's choices, but I must insist that everyone be kind, or I am going to call an ******* an *******, whether they are wearing a cross around their neck or not. I know plenty of Christians who are miserable people. I know agnostics/atheists who are terrific to be around.

The key to me is recognizing the difference between an 'atheist' an 'agnostic' and a 'anti-theists.' Anti-theists are typically as obnoxious as the 'everyone who doesn't attend my church is going to hell' crowd, because both presume to have all the answers and project them onto others. I have no issue at all with people who either don't believe in God or don't care either way, BUT, the people who call God 'the flying spaghetti monster' or 'your imaginary friend in the sky' are obnoxious and disrespectful, and it is my pleasure to call them on it.

Live and let live cuts both ways. I am truly sorry for people here who have felt attacked for their lack of faith, but I didn't do it, so don't stereotype or project that behavior onto all Christians.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »

Jerks come in all shapes and sizes, colors, creeds and nationalities. I respect people's choices, but I must insist that everyone be kind, or I am going to call an ******* an *******, whether they are wearing a cross around their neck or not. I know plenty of Christians who are miserable people. I know agnostics/atheists who are terrific to be around.

The key to me is recognizing the difference between an 'atheist' an 'agnostic' and a 'anti-theists.' Anti-theists are typically as obnoxious as the 'everyone who doesn't attend my church is going to hell' crowd, because both presume to have all the answers and project them onto others. I have no issue at all with people who either don't believe in God or don't care either way, BUT, the people who call God 'the flying spaghetti monster' or 'your imaginary friend in the sky' are obnoxious and disrespectful, and it is my pleasure to call them on it.

Live and let live cuts both ways. I am truly sorry for people here who have felt attacked for their lack of faith, but I didn't do it, so don't stereotype or project that behavior onto all Christians.

Saint,

1/We're sliding off topic on a topic that is banned by forum rules
2/You've been stereotyping atheists in a thread reaching out to atheists with this quote : "If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)"
I guess you thought it was funny, hence your smiley
3/If I stereotyped anyone then I'm sorry but my post didn't even named christians, it just said "religious profiles". I don't know where you got this.
4/You know... chill out, dude.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
For the record i absolutely do not believe in God/Jesus etc...

I have no problem with people who do - we are all free to believe whatever we want....but for me it is something I have never been attracted to and I don't understand personally how people are attracted to it....but as I say it is their choice as mine is mine.

Yup, and people on both sides of the aisle (and everyone in between!) should have this attitude. The world would be a more peaceful place for sure.

Indeed.....applies here too IMO.

Our admin and mod team have a tough job to do keeping here ticking over and spam free etc....fair do's to them for doing it - but it makes their life tougher when comments like the 'atheists will let you know repeatedly' are posted and start to push the tone of a thread away from the cordial one it had been taking up until that comment.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
For the record i absolutely do not believe in God/Jesus etc...

I have no problem with people who do - we are all free to believe whatever we want....but for me it is something I have never been attracted to and I don't understand personally how people are attracted to it....but as I say it is their choice as mine is mine.

Yup, and people on both sides of the aisle (and everyone in between!) should have this attitude. The world would be a more peaceful place for sure.

Indeed.....applies here too IMO.

Our admin and mod team have a tough job to do keeping here ticking over and spam free etc....fair do's to them for doing it - but it makes their life tougher when comments like the 'atheists will let you know repeatedly' are posted and start to push the tone of a thread away from the cordial one it had been taking up until that comment.
Amen, brother!

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Wow, has there been a humour ban on here? No one has been personally attacked; no one has denounced anyone’s God or been mocked for their belief.
By drawing attention to the tongue in cheek comment and applying “mock shock” to it does more to derail this thread than the comment itself. We don’t have to be offended so let’s not be. Let’s move on and chill and maybe the thread can continue living.
If you want to see what a flame thread looks like, I suggest you start one on why POP is better than ATYCLB, grab your popcorn and watch the scorn light up the forum!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »

Saint,

2/You've been stereotyping atheists in a thread reaching out to atheists with this quote : "If a vegan atheist who runs marathons and owns a shelter dog sits down beside you at a bar, which fact about themselves will they force into a conversation first? :)"
3/If I stereotyped anyone then I'm sorry but my post didn't even named christians, it just said "religious profiles". I don't know where you got this.

1. That is getting REALLY tiresome. If we can't have a free dialogue here as long as we are polite, I really don't understand the point.

2. That was a JOKE. I am sorry to have offended you, truly. And yes, I do think it is funny. Very funny, actually. Lighten up. Take your own advice from your own point #4. The smiley was included to indicate HUMOR. Again, sorry if you didn't get it or like it.

3. None of my post was directed at or meant to describe YOU. I don't know you. I am sure you are a great person; you like Star Wars and U2; how could you not be? You haven't said any of the things that I described, so why would you think I am directing them toward YOU? We are just having a conversation. I very plainly said that jerks come in all stripes. I was simply saying that, while I am sorry you have felt attacked by your lack of faith, disrespect, sadly, is a two-way street, and just because you are a nice person, many of your fellow atheists aren't, just as many of my fellow Christians aren't either. There's this notion that people of faith are intolerant and those who have no faith are more open-minded. I've not found that to be the case at all. People are people and have the same flaws regardless of what they believe or don't believe. Those flaws just manifest themselves in different ways.

4. Like I said; take your own advice. I thought we were having a friendly conversation. You are the one who flipped out buddy, not me. I am honestly shocked at your response.

Thinking I need to spend time elsewhere. I am used to a more honest exchange, as long as posts remain clean and civil. That's not where we are right now, and I am kind of over it.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Wow, has there been a humour ban on here? No one has been personally attacked; no one has denounced anyone’s God or been mocked for their belief.
By drawing attention to the tongue in cheek comment and applying “mock shock” to it does more to derail this thread than the comment itself. We don’t have to be offended so let’s not be. Let’s move on and chill and maybe the thread can continue living.
If you want to see what a flame thread looks like, I suggest you start one on why POP is better than ATYCLB, grab your popcorn and watch the scorn light up the forum!

+1

This joint isn't very much fun any more.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

Saint,

1. That is getting REALLY tiresome. If we can't have a free dialogue here as long as we are polite, I really don't understand the point.

2. That was a JOKE. I am sorry to have offended you, truly. And yes, I do think it is funny. Very funny, actually. Lighten up. Take your own advice from your own point #4. The smiley was included to indicate HUMOR. Again, sorry if you didn't get it or like it.

3. None of my post was directed at or meant to describe YOU. I don't know you. I am sure you are a great person; you like Star Wars and U2; how could you not be? You haven't said any of the things that I described, so why would you think I am directing them toward YOU? We are just having a conversation. I very plainly said that jerks come in all stripes. I was simply saying that, while I am sorry you have felt attacked by your lack of faith, disrespect, sadly, is a two-way street, and just because you are a nice person, many of your fellow atheists aren't, just as many of my fellow Christians aren't either. There's this notion that people of faith are intolerant and those who have no faith are more open-minded. I've not found that to be the case at all. People are people and have the same flaws regardless of what they believe or don't believe. Those flaws just manifest themselves in different ways.

4. Like I said; take your own advice. I thought we were having a friendly conversation. You are the one who flipped out buddy, not me. I am honestly shocked at your response.

Thinking I need to spend time elsewhere. I am used to a more honest exchange, as long as posts remain clean and civil. That's not where we are right now, and I am kind of over it.

Thanks for this post. I'll try to take my own advice, you're right about that ;-)

Just this answering this question : "why would you think I am directing them toward YOU?"

Well, your rant came as an answer to my post, you were quoting me. In my experience that's how a forum works.

By the way, being an atheist doesn't mean I have "no faith". Faith is not exclusive to religious people. I have faith in people. Faith that they're able to do the absolute best and the absolute worst. I take it that we fully agree on that ;-)

Cheers, hope you had a good time !

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
sheesh...this started out as a very interesting thread...what the heck happened.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »

Saint,

Thanks for this post. I'll try to take my own advice, you're right about that ;-)

Just this answering this question : "why would you think I am directing them toward YOU?"

Well, your rant came as an answer to my post, you were quoting me. In my experience that's how a forum works.

By the way, being an atheist doesn't mean I have "no faith". Faith is not exclusive to religious people. I have faith in people. Faith that they're able to do the absolute best and the absolute worst. I take it that we fully agree on that ;-)

Cheers, hope you had a good time !

By faith, I clearly meant in a higher power, since that's what we are talking about here, but you are of course correct; we can have faith in many aspects of life. I have a certain amount of faith that one of my cats will have puked on the carpet when I get home from work in a bit.

Secondly, I was intending to speak in generalities and not to you directly. Yes, I quoted your post, but it was to build off it, not to criticize you. And again, you haven't said any of the things that I called out, so I wasn't speaking to you directly.

And lastly, no, I didn't have a good time. I don't get online to have misunderstandings or arguments with rank strangers. I find it rather exhausting. If I had it to over again, I would have limited my participation in this thread to my WELCOME comment to the OP.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »

A suprisingly level headed argument for agnostics from an even more suprising source.

Offline paganini12345

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
Being a  member of other forums, I actually find this a vert civilised discussion on religious beliefs.
I know things can get out of hand sometimes but the OP was reaching out making a public statement that they love U2 while being atheist. Surely that allows for people with a different view to contribute and due to the nature allows a little cheeky humour?

I'm interested to know why the jaredladbb  asked the original question?
Is it because you feel there are a lot of religious themes in U2s songs that you still feel a connection with in a non-religious way or just love their music? 
I ask because I am interested. For me, I tend to focus more on the music than the lyrics.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »
Being a  member of other forums, I actually find this a vert civilised discussion on religious beliefs.
I know things can get out of hand sometimes but the OP was reaching out making a public statement that they love U2 while being atheist. Surely that allows for people with a different view to contribute and due to the nature allows a little cheeky humour?

I'm interested to know why the jaredladbb  asked the original question?
Is it because you feel there are a lot of religious themes in U2s songs that you still feel a connection with in a non-religious way or just love their music? 
I ask because I am interested. For me, I tend to focus more on the music than the lyrics.

It all depends on how you listen to music, I would say. As you said, you focus more on the music. I tend to focus more on the lyrics. So spiritually-leaning lyrics stick out like a sore thumb to me, as do really negative or angry lyrics. On some U2 songs, the spiritual-leaning lyrics are very obvious. Add to that the fact that many people think of U2 as being a Christian band (or did in the 80s) and Bono isn't exactly trying to hide his faith...well you can imagine an atheist fan hearing the music and thinking "hmm, am I listening to/enjoying music about the very thing I don't believe in...is that weird?" It'd kind of be like a Hindu listening to a Christian rock band, except in U2's case they've never been a Christian band but some band members have always been Christian/spiritual to a certain degree and that is reflected in the music.

It goes both ways, too. I know when I was very religious I felt very weird listening to Nine Inch Nails since it seemed a little strange, given their lyrics and the fact that they're clearly the opposite of a Christian band. I'm sure I would have made a similar post like the OP on the NIN forum asking "is it weird I'm a devout Christian and I love NIN?"

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
I do believe there is something out there beyond this world but I also believe that whatever it is that is out there is not necessarily responsible for all of what goes on in our world.  I.E starving children, poverty, illness.