Author Topic: The Troubles - A Personal Meaning I Discovered Today  (Read 740 times)

Offline drjako

• Stateless
The Troubles - A Personal Meaning I Discovered Today
« on: March 26, 2017, 02:30:27 AM »
I listened to SoI today driving down to my favourite beach, a place that clears my head and makes me feel a lot better while I am there. It's been a rough year; end of a 14 year relationship with who I thought was the love of my life. It's been tough.

I was driving home and "The Troubles" came on. I was in a pretty good space and a few lines jumped out at me. To put in context, I believe my marriage has ended due to my partners battles with mental illness. There has been numerous episodes. Very sad. I gave 100% support and wanted to continue, I love her deeply.

Numerous lines have new meaning for me now.

"Somebody stepped inside your soul
Somebody stepped inside your soul
Little by little they robbed and stole
Till someone else was in control"

That's pretty obvious. Gradual changes. Two different people/souls in one body.

"I have a will for survival
So you can hurt me
And then hurt me some more
I can live with denial
But your not my troubles anymore"

This set is what really hit me first, and hard. In relationships like mine, from what I have been reading, one person can keep reaching and reaching, trying to help, believing they can make things better, getting hurt over and over along the way, for the sake of the survival of their relationship. Certainly what I have been living. It hurts, but you never want to give up. The denial on the sufferers part can be constant, yet the reacher doesn't give up, until finally you have to let go for self preservation, and let go of their troubles. It's sad and gut-wrenching. To let go of the love of your life, and someone you know needs help but won't admit it, it's incredibly challenging and I wish it on no one. "God knows it's not easy, taking on the shape of someone else's pain" is another that jumps out at me.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: The Troubles - A Personal Meaning I Discovered Today
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:21:25 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss, and for this hard time you are going through. Trust me when I say that you will survive, and it will get easier with time. Time does heal.

Self preservation...you hit the nail on the head with that one. I had to leave someone, years ago, to insure my own survival. It IS gut-wrenching, but it IS the right thing to do. Take some comfort in the fact that you have done the best thing, and probably it is the best thing for BOTH of you. Only time will tell.

One day at a time...survival.

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
Thank you so much Riffraff. There's a challenge most days but I know it will take time. Thanks again.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:03:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you so much Riffraff. There's a challenge most days but I know it will take time. Thanks again.
You're quite welcome...sometimes these things make us stronger.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
Wow, thank you for sharing. Sad to hear this happen to you, hopefully things will get better soon...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »
drjako,

Sounds like you have been very brave and although it is easy to say when it isn't my life/feelings I would say it is very likely that both of you and those around you will come out the other side of this stronger, wiser and ultimately happier.

Take time to look after you, experience new things or even things you love to do that you may have neglected - it is often the case that we only really find the deepest and best happiness after experiencing what seems like the worst unhappiness - As people to feel so unhappy we were once clearly feeling so happy and we can and will feel so happy again.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:07:55 PM by an tha »

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing. (hugs)

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:57:09 AM »
Thank you so much everyone! Great people on here.
Still thinking about the lyrics and how they relate - could the "Some off stepped inside your soul" be to the reacher etc.  As with most U2 songs I am sure there are multiple possible meanings. These ones seem to relate to me and my life right now.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:59:34 AM by drjako »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:12:52 AM »
After you've begun to heal, come back to the song...you will see the difference between the past and the present. And it will be a good thing...