Author Topic: High Quality '90s video's  (Read 774 times)

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
High Quality '90s video's
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:19 AM »
Hi all,

A few days ago I was in a record shop and saw a lot of U2 DVD's, for example: ZooTV Sydney, Popmart Mexico, Slane Castle. I almost decided to buy them all since youtube isn't the best quality on earth (for a phone it is most of the times decent but on the TV it is terrible). I thought it was just the lag of technology during that time, and that DVD is the best quality you can get. But then I saw a Joshua Tree Tour rehearsel on Youtube which was higher of quality than a Popmart video. In another thread on this forum I saw some photo's taken from the videoclip of Discotheque which was from high quality. So there has to be some good shots of the shows and videoclips I think.

I want to pay for those live shows (Zoo TV, Popmart) but only in very High Quality. Does someone know a way to get a good download of it? If there is no legal way to get it, it may be the 'less legal' way, too. ;)

I hope there's someone who can help me with this. Thanks!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: High Quality '90s video's
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
Those original DVDs were shot on video, not film.  So they've aged BADLY.  I'm not sure there's anything out there that's better quality--at least not that I'm aware of.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
So DVD is the best I can get?

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
I don't think they are available for download.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So DVD is the best I can get?

That I'm aware of, yes.

I don't think they are available for download.

Also correct.  It would be some major news if/when they make them available for download or as HD.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
Well it would be great. I think there's better quality.

Other question. I'm from a generation with youtube amd HD-tv. DVD's are not comparable to HD. But if HD is a 10 and a good quality of Popmart Live in Mexico is a 5, what would the DVD be?

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
Hi all again, I wanted to wake this thread up!

I was just wandering around on discogs.com, and this popped up:

Laser discs... for me, just a few months older than Pop, a new thing for me. Maybe I'll buy it for fun, without playing it (or maybe if I meet someone who has a player for it).

But the question raises again. Will it be worth to buy a DVD of ZooTV, or isn't it much better than Youtube?

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
I have most, if not all, of their dvd's...I think they are pretty good quality, but I'm no expert.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
I have most, if not all, of their dvd's...I think they are pretty good quality, but I'm no expert.
You don't need to be an expert ;). But do you enjoy the DVD of ZooTV better than Youtube?

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
You don't need to be an expert ;). But do you enjoy the DVD of ZooTV better than Youtube?
Yes, but honestly, the only reason is that I don't have a good way to watch youtube. This old laptop jumps around too badly...and I got a Samsung tablet for Christmas, but it's too small to really enjoy, although very clear. So, I mostly watch the dvd's.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Yes, but honestly, the only reason is that I don't have a good way to watch youtube. This old laptop jumps around too badly...and I got a Samsung tablet for Christmas, but it's too small to really enjoy, although very clear. So, I mostly watch the dvd's.
That's bad! Well, maybe I just have to give it a try and buy it. If I did I'll say if it's better  ;)

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
That's bad! Well, maybe I just have to give it a try and buy it. If I did I'll say if it's better  ;)
Yes, let us know which you prefer...the Slane dvd is great, as is the ZOO tv. Live at Red Rocks might be my favorite...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
I find DVDs harder to watch these days, as I'm more used to Blu-ray/high def video.  I would still think the DVD would look better than YouTube, though, which I suspect would compress the original source.  Put it this way: I'm pretty sure those DVD releases are the highest quality video currently available to anyone who wants to watch those videos.  Anything on YouTube is likely sourced from those DVDs, and likely compressed.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
Alright. Thanks! Will buy some one day  :)