Author Topic: U2 are in Vancouver for rehearsal  (Read 14928 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: U2 are in Vancouver for rehearsal
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I live in Vancouver. I imagine rehearsals will take place in the old Pacific Coliseum. This is where they rehearsed the I&E tour and also where I saw the best concert of my life (arena Zoo TV April 1992). BC Place is a stadium and the local soccer team plays and they will be using it till mid April. Also a lot more expensive to rent a stadium then a unused arena. My bet is the band rehearses at the Pacific Coliseum and then take over BC Place to build out the stage a 1-2 weeks before the first show.

They won't rehearse in an Arena for a stadium tour. It'll most likely be at BC Place for production rehearsals.

If that's the case then the equipment in the picture may as well stay in storage for another few weeks as BC Place won't be available till mid April. Even at that point I doubt they would rent the stadium for a month. Most likely they come to Vancouver beginning of May.

I could see them renting a stadium for a few weeks.

Yup, for a few weeks, which puts them arriving in Vancouver at the end of April/beginning of May. Original post with equipment picture was about them potentially coming to Vancouver now.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
I live in Vancouver. I imagine rehearsals will take place in the old Pacific Coliseum. This is where they rehearsed the I&E tour and also where I saw the best concert of my life (arena Zoo TV April 1992). BC Place is a stadium and the local soccer team plays and they will be using it till mid April. Also a lot more expensive to rent a stadium then a unused arena. My bet is the band rehearses at the Pacific Coliseum and then take over BC Place to build out the stage a 1-2 weeks before the first show.

They won't rehearse in an Arena for a stadium tour. It'll most likely be at BC Place for production rehearsals.

If that's the case then the equipment in the picture may as well stay in storage for another few weeks as BC Place won't be available till mid April. Even at that point I doubt they would rent the stadium for a month. Most likely they come to Vancouver beginning of May.

I could see them renting a stadium for a few weeks.

Yup, for a few weeks, which puts them arriving in Vancouver at the end of April/beginning of May. Original post with equipment picture was about them potentially coming to Vancouver now.

I think you're on point about them potentially renting out the arena, rehearsing there, then taking it over to BC Place after the April 14th game. Someone else said why would they rehearse in an arena vs. a stadium? Well, if a stadium isn't available, an arena is the next best thing and would allow Willie to somewhat build the stage and test out all of those things before it gets moved over for a final rehearsal week or two in BC Place. We don't know what sort of special effects the guys are planning for this tour, so I can't see them leaving rehearsal entirely to the final two weeks leading up to the concert. Also, the equipment looks like it's being sent over now, which indicates they need it pretty soon.

Offline sharebear

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Or they've been rehearsing and know the basic songs now, but will load-in and do stage setup for Mid April and then start band rehearsals the week of April 25th.

Stadium stage won't fit in an arena, so they won't really bother. If they want to do regular rehearsals (as opposed to production), they can just use a studio in NYC/LA.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
All the good rehearsal memories are coming back!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
I wonder what deep cuts U2 will play at rehearsal before ultimately settling on stuff like Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
it is definitely NOT true that U2 are rehearsing in a stadium right now or in the next few weeks! Of course they won't rehearse in an arena!

They have already rehearsed for the tour and they will till next week or so. Production Rehearsals will start at the end of April in a stadium. There wouldn't be any problems with VAN 's soccer team. I don't know where this will take place though.

Offline sharebear

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 01:33:32 PM »
Why would they rehearse anywhere else than BC place since it'll be open in that time frame?

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
they realistically won't rehearse in an environment where we can hear them live until last week of April/ may. You also have to consider how long the actual stage will be up. Something really different from 8 years ago when people were trying to get the "scoop" on 360 is we now have drones lol. All it takes is a fan to fly overhead the stadium to see what's going on

Someone mentioned the photo of Willy on the stage was taken in PA where the stages are made. Supposedly the biggest screen ever is being used
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:22:47 PM by monopoly »

Offline OnlyU2

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 04:52:30 PM »
they realistically won't rehearse in an environment where we can hear them live until last week of April/ may. You also have to consider how long the actual stage will be up. Something really different from 8 years ago when people were trying to get the "scoop" on 360 is we now have drones lol. All it takes is a fan to fly overhead the stadium to see what's going on

Someone mentioned the photo of Willy on the stage was taken in PA where the stages are made. Supposedly the biggest screen ever is being used

I'm sure they'll have the roof closed during that time

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 06:18:28 AM »
The biggest PA ever? In Lillitz, PA?

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
The biggest PA ever? In Lillitz, PA?

Lititz is home to Tait Towers.  They pretty much make the majority of the custom stages used on major tours.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:44:19 AM by jgrooms »

Offline Clancy3434

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 04:54:33 AM »
They'll do their initial rehearsals at Rock Lititz before moving to Vancouver. Willie has been there for weeks already.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 04:55:26 AM »
They'll do their initial rehearsals at Rock Lititz before moving to Vancouver. Willie has been there for weeks already.

proof?

Offline Clancy3434

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 05:30:23 AM »

proof?
Common sense and logic?

That they did the same thing on I/E and nobody noticed?

That every major vendor that helps them put up their stages is based partially in Lititz?

Cause almost every major touring act in the US does the same thing?

Google U2 Lititz. This isn't exactly a secret.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
I wonder what deep cuts U2 will play at rehearsal before ultimately settling on stuff like Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

I was excited by the prospect hinted at, by the first half of your post.....only to be brought crashing back down to earth, by the reality of the second half of your post