Author Topic: Will U2 sell the remaining tickets to make this tour a complete sell out?  (Read 872 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
By the looks of things from the nights that still have tickets available, there are still a few thousand tickets yet to be sold.

Interested to know from the ticket and sales nerds the chances of this tour being a complete sell out. Not that it will affect anything band related but for U2 at this stage in their career it would be an amazing achievement if they could completely sell 100% for every date on this tour, i'd love to see it!

From a brief look through the posts and the more experienced folk who live in those areas or have knowledge about how well that particular stadium sells, it would appear that they over 90% in some places.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
George how can you tell if a night is not sold out?

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Go to u2.com/tours and you can see the link for tickets. The sold out shows are greyed out and the ones that aren't you can see how many tickets are left in specific areas of the stadium on ticketmaster

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
There's a 671 tickets for London 1 & 1019 for London 2 on Stubhub, I expect them to come down in price nearer the gigs & sell out

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Most of the tickets will sell once the prices drop.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit

Except they're not going to drop in places like Pittsburgh or Louisville where a solid number of GA tickets haven't sold. I don't see U2 dropping the price on those--scalped tickets, sure, but not unsold ones.

However, maybe a Groupon sale might work?

Online cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase

Except they're not going to drop in places like Pittsburgh or Louisville where a solid number of GA tickets haven't sold. I don't see U2 dropping the price on those--scalped tickets, sure, but not unsold ones.

U2 doesn't have any control over the prices on secondhand websites like Stubhub; that's dictated both by the market, and the individual seller. On the 360 tour, I remember some US cities being slower to sell (though they did ultimately sellout), and I was able to buy tickets at dirt cheap prices, gifting them to friends as Christmas gifts. Seriously, I remember buying a batch for the Georgia Dome in Atlanta for something like $10 a piece.

So long as a show isn't soldout, you can many times find tickets for UNDER face value on websites like Stubhub. Take the current Radiohead tour for example. Seriously, go and look at prices on Stubhub for their show tonight and their next one. They're down to $20.

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
Tickets that are for sale on Stubhub have already been "sold". They don't count when deciding if a show sells out or not. If nobody buys them and the scalper eats them, great. More room for the rest of us.

I have a feeling that U2 is going to release more tickets for at least most of the shows on this tour. That will stick a dagger in the secondary market and cause prices to tank. I have seen this happening more and more over the past few years. Some artists regularly do this, but more have piled on so they can ruin the secondary market in the weeks leading up to the show.

Desert Trip last year was a horror show for scalpers for the very reason that I just mentioned. The promoter kept releasing more passes and the market got flooded like I've never seen. Passes that had a $1690 face value were going for $400 a month before the show. And they would often sit there for a few days before someone would bite. It was crazy. I got a decent pair for face when they went on sale, but me and my bro ended up claiming some killer seats 20th row dead center. We were in those seats all 3 days. We just watched Stubhub and claimed 4 seats together that didn't sell. Dumb*** scalper wanted an obscene amount of money for them and they wouldn't lower the price so they ate nearly $6800 worth of passes. 

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place

Go to u2.com/tours and you can see the link for tickets. The sold out shows are greyed out and the ones that aren't you can see how many tickets are left in specific areas of the stadium on ticketmaster
I tried that and it just (once again) redirects me to secondary ticket sale site. So all I see are the tickets that site has for sale.

Online cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Tickets that are for sale on Stubhub have already been "sold". They don't count when deciding if a show sells out or not. If nobody buys them and the scalper eats them, great. More room for the rest of us.

I have a feeling that U2 is going to release more tickets for at least most of the shows on this tour. That will stick a dagger in the secondary market and cause prices to tank. I have seen this happening more and more over the past few years. Some artists regularly do this, but more have piled on so they can ruin the secondary market in the weeks leading up to the show.

Desert Trip last year was a horror show for scalpers for the very reason that I just mentioned. The promoter kept releasing more passes and the market got flooded like I've never seen. Passes that had a $1690 face value were going for $400 a month before the show. And they would often sit there for a few days before someone would bite. It was crazy. I got a decent pair for face when they went on sale, but me and my bro ended up claiming some killer seats 20th row dead center. We were in those seats all 3 days. We just watched Stubhub and claimed 4 seats together that didn't sell. Dumb*** scalper wanted an obscene amount of money for them and they wouldn't lower the price so they ate nearly $6800 worth of passes. 
I didn't go to Desert Trip, though I did quite enjoy watching the market on secondary sites like Stubhub. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I seem to remember seeing 3 day pass general admission tickets for Desert Trip going for under $200!

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place

I tried that and it just (once again) redirects me to secondary ticket sale site. So all I see are the tickets that site has for sale.
Scratch that! The show I'm looking at (Cleveland) says it's sold out, which I guess technically it is, but their are A LOT of tickets on secondary seller site.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit

U2 doesn't have any control over the prices on secondhand websites like Stubhub; that's dictated both by the market, and the individual seller. On the 360 tour, I remember some US cities being slower to sell (though they did ultimately sellout), and I was able to buy tickets at dirt cheap prices, gifting them to friends as Christmas gifts. Seriously, I remember buying a batch for the Georgia Dome in Atlanta for something like $10 a piece.

So long as a show isn't soldout, you can many times find tickets for UNDER face value on websites like Stubhub. Take the current Radiohead tour for example. Seriously, go and look at prices on Stubhub for their show tonight and their next one. They're down to $20.

Right, but I'm saying, even if people go out and buy those Stubhub tix at cheap rates, you'll still have unsold tickets through the official source...because those can't be discounted in the way that Stubhub can. Unless, like I said, the venue or Ticketmaster does a Groupon thing like many bands do when tickets are a little slower to move.

You are totally right about Stubhub tix being super cheap close to showtime for some artists or sports events, though.

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
Right, but I'm saying, even if people go out and buy those Stubhub tix at cheap rates, you'll still have unsold tickets through the official source...because those can't be discounted in the way that Stubhub can. Unless, like I said, the venue or Ticketmaster does a Groupon thing like many bands do when tickets are a little slower to move.

They will never do that or people will stop buying tickets when they go on sale in anticipation of lower prices later. If tickets don't move the industry responds by booking the band in smaller venues next time around.

You are totally right about Stubhub tix being super cheap close to showtime for some artists or sports events, though.

This really seems to be the way to go anymore. There are always tickets that go unsold even if the show is officially sold out. You have too many scalpers these days who get too greedy and price themselves out of the market. At some point they have to read the writing on the wall and price the tickets to sell. Some of them don't get it though and they end up eating their tickets. It happens every time at medium sized venues on up. When the day of the show comes around people will stop looking at some point because of logistics of getting to the show at the last minute, having to line up a babysitter in advance, or whatever. I have sat there looking at Stubhub on the day of the show while pressing F5 every 10 seconds and I have scored great seats at a good price. The trick is that you have to be fast when you see a price drop because you're not the only one with the bright idea. The first one to check out gets them. Having them in your cart doesn't hold them for you. I have my eye on Roger Waters in Sacramento in June. The show is not even close to being sold out and there are TONS of tickets on Stubhub. I can tell already that scalpers are going to eat it big time and I'm going to wait them out. I've seen Waters a lot over the years and with the exception of the Fearless breakout at Desert Trip I wasn't blown away like I have been in years past. But, he's playing 20 minutes from my house and if I can get a deal on a ticket I will probably go for it. Face is like $180 though and I'm not willing to pay that much.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise

Scratch that! The show I'm looking at (Cleveland) says it's sold out, which I guess technically it is, but their are A LOT of tickets on secondary seller site.

Yeah I know what you're saying, I think you will find tickets to every show on secondary seller sites, I'm basing it on the direct link to the ticketmaster site that u2.com/tour will take you to