Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 17930 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Btw, is this U2 trying to be "relevant" again?  ;D

Yes.

Yeah, it seems like they're trying to sort out which aspect of the youth culture will launch them back to the top when they dabble in it. See giving The Best Thing to Kygo and giving an intro on The Chainsmokers.

Difference is, the standard of quality for Kendrick is so damn high that it's almost certain they've done something great.

I don't know much about Kendrick, but I can say for sure that they should always avoid artists like The Chainsmokers. A collaboration with a good current artist could be really good, though.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
... lament all you want about the yutes and the culture,  but they couldn't buy that kind of exposure (though I guess technically they sorta did).

U2 don't need exposure. What do they think will happen? A bunch of teenagers will hear this song and jump on the U2 bandwagon so they can wait til they're out of college for a new album to come out?

How else would u2 grow their fan base?

Grow their fan base? I'm pretty sure they're like the most well-known band in existence.

It dawned on me while reading this thread, and I am as guilty of it as anyone else, that we are always talking about U2 as a business.  What will get more fans, what will raise their profile,  what will boost album sales, etc.

Guys...it's over. They have hit the level they are going to hit, and in their case that was pretty high up. This stuff used to matter to me, because it could decide if I'd get to see their video on MTV, or hear their song on the radio, or if they were going to be able to do a cool tour. It doesn't matter anymore. They can do what they want, and you can watch it or listen to it whenever you want, anywhere you want. They can keep touring when and how they want. They are secure.

U2 the bank account is lame. How are they doing ARTISTICALLY? Is this song going to be good? Is it going to be terrible? Is it going to be amazing, or will it make you embarrassed to be a fan?  That's what I care about now. I'm afraid we will instead be talking to each other in terms of "Well that was awful, but traffic to U2.com increased 17% in the 48 hours after the single was released" or "That was beautiful, but I turned on my local top 40 and they were playing Katy Perry instead of this, can you believe it?"

I used to attach a lot of import to this stuff, but it really doesn't matter anymore.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »
Damn!
XXX PM?

monopoly

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »
... lament all you want about the yutes and the culture,  but they couldn't buy that kind of exposure (though I guess technically they sorta did).

U2 don't need exposure. What do they think will happen? A bunch of teenagers will hear this song and jump on the U2 bandwagon so they can wait til they're out of college for a new album to come out?

Grow their fan base? I'm pretty sure they're like the most well-known band in existence.

I just graduated high school. Not one student in school knew who u2 was until one day someone started complaining where some songs came from. Next thing you know, all the kids around me we're on twitter messaging Tim Cook to remove the entire thing. That's the only thing they know about u2. And because of that people I talked to didn't even care to give their older material a chance. And the fact u2 doesn't get big radio play on the Pop stations like KISS FM doesn't help them grow with younger crowds since most don't listen to rock stations. I knew quite a lot of people who either have no clue who they are or won't even give them a chance because of apple.

I'm in Los Angeles and my class size was 1200 of a 4500 student school
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:15:45 PM by monopoly »

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »

I just graduated high school. Not one student in school knew who u2 was until one day someone started complaining where some songs came from. Next thing you know, all the kids around me we're on twitter messaging Tim Cook to remove the entire thing. That's the only thing they know about u2. And because of that people I talked to didn't even care to give their older material a chance. And the fact u2 doesn't get big radio play on the Pop stations like KISS FM doesn't help them grow with younger crowds since most don't listen to rock stations. I knew quite a lot of people who either have no clue who they are or won't even give them a chance because of apple.

I'm in Los Angeles and my class size was 1200 of a 4500 student school

It will be much more so once they are dead or otherwise retired, but I think U2 will be one of those bands kids "discover" around college age going forward, the way that my late 90's classmates would get into Pink Floyd, the Beatles, etc.

monopoly

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
Anyone else go on Reddit- Kendrick Lamar? Lots of Kendrick fans are posting about their worry for u2 ruining the album...

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
I wrote an OTR about Kendrick Lamar about a year ago. It talks about exactly why I'm pumped for this collaboration.

Offline Zimmy1987

• Babyface
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
I saw this quote on Twitter, and it's just too funny/painful not to share:

"DOES KENDRICK EVEN KNOW THAT U2 IS ON HIS ALBUM, BECAUSE THEIR ALBUM IS STILL ON MY PHONE AND I NEVER ASKED FOR THAT."

That was Showyousuck and I was working with him tonight. Here he is with the tweet. visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zimmy1987

• Babyface
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »

"DOES KENDRICK EVEN KNOW THAT U2 IS ON HIS ALBUM, BECAUSE THEIR ALBUM IS STILL ON MY PHONE AND I NEVER ASKED FOR THAT."

That was Showyousuck and I was working with him tonight. Here he is with the tweet. visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

By the way.  There was no credit to that tweet. I was just talking to him about the Kendrick record and mentioned that. And he told me he tweeted it. Small world.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »

By the way.  There was no credit to that tweet. I was just talking to him about the Kendrick record and mentioned that. And he told me he tweeted it. Small world.

Wow-- that's awesome!  That tweet was hilarious.

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
When is it coming out

The 14th, this Friday. Though I'd imagine it will all be leaked before then.
Thanks! 

Offline Zimmy1987

• Babyface
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

monopoly

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's seen my name!

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2017, 05:47:53 AM »
Why on earth are U2 doing a song with Lemar? wasn't he on the UK version of xfactor or popstars?

I remember his song "if theres any justice in this world you would be my guy and I would be your girl"

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:05 AM »
Why on earth are U2 doing a song with Lemar? wasn't he on the UK version of xfactor or popstars?

I remember his song "if theres any justice in this world you would be my guy and I would be your girl"

Not sure if you're being serious or just making a joke, but a Google search of that lyric says it's by someone named Lemar, a pop singer from North London.  Kendrick Lamar is hip hop from Compton.