Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 10937 times)

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »
If it's a sample, my guess is Bullet or 40.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:15:09 AM by Daniel94 »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 07:31:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This was horrendous! I've only listened to a few Kendrick tracks on the radio. It's mostly a bunch of rap cursing from what I've heard

Neither of those points negate that U2 have been working with rappers for years. And I think that Jay-Z is one of the best rappers out there, which is a pretty established concept in popular music. Just because you aren't into it doesn't mean that U2 shouldn't be willing to explore and stretch their experience. And if cussing bothers you, you do know that the members of U2 swear like sailors, right?

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 07:35:48 AM »
If it's a sample, my guess is Bullet or 40.

Kendrick rapping over Bullet the Blue, OH LORD HOLD ME NOW

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This was horrendous! I've only listened to a few Kendrick tracks on the radio. It's mostly a bunch of rap cursing from what I've heard

MATTTEEE  Kendrick is not rap cursing, are you messing with me, this guy is a lyrical genius, he talks about sh***t that is going on in this damn world and within his culture, he is only MC rapping against the drug culture, rapping against the violence, this guy is beyond insane, LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:10:59 AM by m2 »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
Kendrick Lamar is one of the "rap people" I listen to.  His last album, To Pimp a Butterfly, was a great album, as well as important political statement.

My 18-year-old son told me about this last night.  At first I thought he was joking.  We both cringed.  He because he thinks U2 are washed-up has-beens, and me because I don't want to see U2 embarrass themselves.

That being said, it's probably a sample.  That being said, being said -- I trust Kendrick Lamar enough to know whatever it is, it must sound cool.

monopoly

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »

MATTTEEE  Kendrick is not rap cursing, are you messing with me, this guy is a lyrical genius, he talks about shitttt that is going on in this damn world and within his culture, he is only MC rapping against the drug culture, rapping against the violence, this guy is beyond insane, LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.

Ok what do you recommend I listen to? Funny enough, I'm youngerish and I barely listen to rap
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:45:34 AM by monopoly »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

MATTTEEE  Kendrick is not rap cursing, are you messing with me, this guy is a lyrical genius, he talks about shitttt that is going on in this damn world and within his culture, he is only MC rapping against the drug culture, rapping against the violence, this guy is beyond insane, LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.
"Go tell your mama this d**k ainít for free
This d**k ainít, this d**k ainít
This d**k ainít for free"

Yeah, seems like lyrical genius to me!

In all seriousness, though, I am very intrigued to hear this collaboration. It's a step into new territory for U2, so assuming that this credit isn't just a sample, we could be seeing a more experimental U2. I'm not a rap enthusiast by any means, but if there is anything positive to take away from a potential Kendrick Lamar/U2 collab, it's that.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »

Ok what do you recommend I listen to? Funny enough, I'm youngerish and I barely listen to rap

Best to start from the begining section 8 album - ADHD ..rigamortus and Hiiipower are standouts
Good kid maad city - swimming pools .. poetic justice..Compton..

the entire to pimp a butterfly esp Blacker the Berry and Mortal man

Yes there is cursint but matey Listen to the words without prejudice

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »

In all seriousness, though, I am very intrigued to hear this collaboration. It's a step into new territory for U2, so assuming that this credit isn't just a sample, we could be seeing a more experimental U2. I'm not a rap enthusiast by any means, but if there is anything positive to take away from a potential Kendrick Lamar/U2 collab, it's that.

lmaoooo so your only counter is lyrics off an interlude which were about a black mans stereotype in the culture of rap?

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »

MATTTEEE  Kendrick is not rap cursing, are you messing with me, this guy is a lyrical genius, he talks about sh***t that is going on in this damn world and within his culture, he is only MC rapping against the drug culture, rapping against the violence, this guy is beyond insane, LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.

Anyone who wants to listen to some superb Kendrick and can handle some naughty words should listen to The Blacker The Berry on To Pimp A Butterfly. This is as honest, as justifiably angry, and as articulate as anything out there at the moment, even if he doesn't phrase what he's saying exactly the way you would. That song still shakes me up every time I hear it.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Kendrick Lamar is one of the "rap people" I listen to.  His last album, To Pimp a Butterfly, was a great album, as well as important political statement.

My 18-year-old son told me about this last night.  At first I thought he was joking.  We both cringed.  He because he thinks U2 are washed-up has-beens, and me because I don't want to see U2 embarrass themselves.

That being said, it's probably a sample.  That being said, being said -- I trust Kendrick Lamar enough to know whatever it is, it must sound cool.

His last album was unmastered untitled.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »

If you're going to judge an artist by their most juvenile work rather than by their best, there would be no such thing as a great, or even mediocre, lyricist. That's not a fair metric at all.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

If you're going to judge an artist by their most juvenile work rather than by their best, there would be no such thing as a great, or even mediocre, lyricist. That's not a fair metric at all.

That would be like judging the entirety of U2s catalogue based on the lyrics to Elevation...

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »

His last album was unmastered untitled.

Oh gosh-- you're right.  I kind of forgot about that one because it was leftovers from To Pimp a Butterfly.  Good Kidd Bad City was excellent, as well.