Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 7133 times)

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
Of all the crap out there in the mainstream, it seems a shame to sharpen the blades on Adele. She didn't have the most marketable image, so credit for her success has to be given in the area of substance more than style.. her ability to write and perform and connect with a female audience.. Of course she continues to capitalise on that sound.. but I think she's only had about 4 albums..?  That's what artists tend to do, find a distinctive sound and corner the market. U2 have done this for 40 years and thrown in a couple of experimental albums here and there, but predominantly chime edge, anthemic wooo hoooo bono and one note bass lines.. if we fancied being hypocritical..?

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I agree with the Adele attacks, and throwing Beyonce in there is unfair too.

But anyway, I'm sure mostly everyone has moved on to RHMT and JT30 but Zane Lowe interviewed Kendrick Lamar for Apple music, Beats 1 or whatever. It's 45 min long and he goes mostly track for track. XXX comes up at 36 min in.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (don't have a direct link but it's in the article - corrected link)

Article mentions XXX too:
Kendrick also revealed that there is a ton of unreleased music from the sessions. He told Lowe that “XXX.,” the song featuring U2, originally had six verses. “That’s why the changes are so crazy.”

In the interview itself, Zane starts out by, unsurprisingly, referencing Bono's quote that America is an idea, that the same sentiment is in that song - a sound not a place. Kendricks chimes in "crazy lyrics...couple bars...impactful"

Zane: what does XXX mean to you?
KL: XXX is the idea of complete chaos and madness. That's what I got from it. Organized madness, controlled madness. Us trying to control this madness. So when you hear them lyrics about what he's saying, "it's a place, it's an idea", I was trying to control that idea...through lyrics, through song.
Zane: Is it a good idea? Even the original idea of what America is?
KL: For better or for worse, it's a content idea. Simple as that.

Then they move on with Zane asking him again about Trump and Kendrick sucks his teeth (or kisses his teeth, whichever term you use), which is pretty great. (until now I never knew what the sound was called, but the meaning behind it was always obvious)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:07:46 PM by Messenger »

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
I was hoping there would be some discussion as to how the collaboration came about. That wasn't mentioned at all?