Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 9244 times)

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
Of all the crap out there in the mainstream, it seems a shame to sharpen the blades on Adele. She didn't have the most marketable image, so credit for her success has to be given in the area of substance more than style.. her ability to write and perform and connect with a female audience.. Of course she continues to capitalise on that sound.. but I think she's only had about 4 albums..?  That's what artists tend to do, find a distinctive sound and corner the market. U2 have done this for 40 years and thrown in a couple of experimental albums here and there, but predominantly chime edge, anthemic wooo hoooo bono and one note bass lines.. if we fancied being hypocritical..?

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I agree with the Adele attacks, and throwing Beyonce in there is unfair too.

But anyway, I'm sure mostly everyone has moved on to RHMT and JT30 but Zane Lowe interviewed Kendrick Lamar for Apple music, Beats 1 or whatever. It's 45 min long and he goes mostly track for track. XXX comes up at 36 min in.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (don't have a direct link but it's in the article - corrected link)

Article mentions XXX too:
Kendrick also revealed that there is a ton of unreleased music from the sessions. He told Lowe that “XXX.,” the song featuring U2, originally had six verses. “That’s why the changes are so crazy.”

In the interview itself, Zane starts out by, unsurprisingly, referencing Bono's quote that America is an idea, that the same sentiment is in that song - a sound not a place. Kendricks chimes in "crazy lyrics...couple bars...impactful"

Zane: what does XXX mean to you?
KL: XXX is the idea of complete chaos and madness. That's what I got from it. Organized madness, controlled madness. Us trying to control this madness. So when you hear them lyrics about what he's saying, "it's a place, it's an idea", I was trying to control that idea...through lyrics, through song.
Zane: Is it a good idea? Even the original idea of what America is?
KL: For better or for worse, it's a content idea. Simple as that.

Then they move on with Zane asking him again about Trump and Kendrick sucks his teeth (or kisses his teeth, whichever term you use), which is pretty great. (until now I never knew what the sound was called, but the meaning behind it was always obvious)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:07:46 PM by Messenger »

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
I was hoping there would be some discussion as to how the collaboration came about. That wasn't mentioned at all?

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2017, 10:01:08 PM »
More comments on the KL/U2 collaboration from the producer of the track Mike WiLL Made-It. Posted the only relevant part.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When the tracklist revealed a U2 feature, people started to worry. But that song is just as incredible. You aren't the only producer listed on that one, but were you involved in getting U2 on the track?

That was Dot's vision. I'm definitely a fan of U2. I've seen Bono around a couple of times, just being around [former Interscope chair] Jimmy Iovine. I've had lunch with Bono; we even exchanged numbers and emails. We just never knew what we were going to do. And for Dot to just tie it all together, I'm sure he's had the same lunches with Bono as well since he also works close with Jimmy Iovine. Really, that came out of left field when he told me that he added him on there. I kept trying to imagine U2 on the first half of that beat, cause at first that was the only part to the song. And I was like, 'Dang, he put U2 on that?' I couldn't figure out what that would sound like. But when he let me hear the whole thing with the different sections, it came out dope.

Offline fna692002

• Babyface
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
not sure if this has been posted but XXX charted in the top 40 on billboard at #33. It also racked up 23.3 million streams :O in the first week as well.
No. 33 (debut), "XXX." (23.3 million)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:05 PM »
not sure if this has been posted but XXX charted in the top 40 on billboard at #33. It also racked up 23.3 million streams :O in the first week as well.
No. 33 (debut), "XXX." (23.3 million)

Anyone that doesn't want to acknowledge what a savvy collaboration this was is living in the bliss of where the record industry was 1/3 of a century ago. Artistically this is one of the most important collaborations of U2's careers.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
I was hoping there would be some discussion as to how the collaboration came about. That wasn't mentioned at all?

I read an interview earlier this week, with one the album's producers, who said it was Kendrick's idea to bring U2 on board.  That he had a vision on how he wanted to use them and nobody could see how it would possibly work.  But once they heard it, they were blown away. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
I think all the controversy when the collab was announced just reflects the ignorance a lot of the general populace have towards U2. They're a pretty dextrous band, and the main creative force was always going to be Kendrick Lamar. Did people think it was going to be like Elevation or something?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
I think all the controversy when the collab was announced just reflects the ignorance a lot of the general populace have towards U2. They're a pretty dextrous band, and the main creative force was always going to be Kendrick Lamar. Did people think it was going to be like Elevation or something?
You can't blame them, though. U2 have tried to portray themselves as a pop-rock band for the past fifteen years. It's their own doing.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
You can't blame them, though. U2 have tried to portray themselves as a pop-rock band for the past fifteen years. It's their own doing.

In many ways yes, and I suppose a consequence is a larger number of people have a very thin knowledge on the band and their music over the years. You'd expect better from some of the journos though.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »

Were they an ambient/electronic art band before that?  :o

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

Were they an ambient/electronic art band before that?  :o
No, but they were self-respecting and musically adventurous in may ways. Genre bending (Miami), progressive (Zoo Station), experimental, at least for U2 (Zooropa, Original Soundtracks I), etc.

By the way, don't pretend that U2 have never meddled in ambience or electronica before! Beach Sequence, Viva Davidoff, and some of The Unforgetable Fire would qualify as ambient. As for electronica: Mofo, Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, and much else on Pop all incorporate electronic-influences.