Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 9728 times)

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
FWIW, Kendrick is a devout Christian and references his beliefs frequently in his writing. I am guessing that whatever the U2 connection is -- new or sample -- it will be centered on that.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you're going to judge an artist by their most juvenile work rather than by their best, there would be no such thing as a great, or even mediocre, lyricist. That's not a fair metric at all.

That would be like judging the entirety of U2s catalogue based on the lyrics to Elevation...

I would go with With A Shout, but whatever works :-)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
These street youths, with their parachute pants and Jerry Curls and Kangol gear. Hmmmph.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »
Decided to go listen to his new song called HUMBLE.  The main chorus is "sit down b*tc& be humble.  Among other crass lyrics.  Not really my cup of coffee and not a direction I want to hear U2 go in.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This was horrendous! I've only listened to a few Kendrick tracks on the radio. It's mostly a bunch of rap cursing from what I've heard

MATTTEEE  Kendrick is not rap cursing, are you messing with me, this guy is a lyrical genius, he talks about shitttt that is going on in this damn world and within his culture, he is only MC rapping against the drug culture, rapping against the violence, this guy is beyond insane, LISTEN TO HIS WORDS.
"Go tell your mama this d**k ainít for free
This d**k ainít, this d**k ainít
This d**k ainít, this d**k ainít
This d**k ainít for free"

Yeah, seems like lyrical genius to me!

In all seriousness, though, I am very intrigued to hear this collaboration. It's a step into new territory for U2, so assuming that this credit isn't just a sample, we could be seeing a more experimental U2. I'm not a rap enthusiast by any means, but if there is anything positive to take away from a potential Kendrick Lamar/U2 collab, it's that.

lmaoooo so your only counter is lyrics off an interlude which were about a black mans stereotype in the culture of rap?
"sh** on anybody, I'm a rappin' Porta-Potty/And I probably gotta dump right now"

Brilliance.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
FWIW, Kendrick is a devout Christian and references his beliefs frequently in his writing. I am guessing that whatever the U2 connection is -- new or sample -- it will be centered on that.

Welcome back
...it has been a long time!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

Welcome back

Thanks! You have Kendrick to credit/blame...I came to see what this bunch made of the news. Not much, apparently!

But if anyone's interested in Kendrick's faith, this article goes into a bit: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And if you'd like a real example of the kind of lyricism and storytelling that make people lose their minds over Kendrick Lamar, you can try this one, written was he was 24: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where in my posts does it suggest that I am phobic towards cursing? Seems very condescending of you to assume the reason I believe those lyrics suck is because of their profanity.

And Silver and Gold is terrible, but not based off of your assumption.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:26:19 PM by WookieeWarrior10 »

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Much better from U2 - better to see collaborations with credible artists as opposed to utter utter garbage like Kygo.

Glad to see someone knocked some sense into Bono and co.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »

Where in my posts does it suggest that I am phobic towards cursing? Seems very condescending of you to assume the reason I believe those lyrics suck is because of their profanity.

And it's very presumptuous on your part to think I mean WookieWarrior10 when I was very clearly referring to the people who have a problem with cursing in music. Nor are you the only person badmouthing his lyrics on here.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

I used to be super religious and also was bothered by cuss words--not any more though. A lot of Christians are. A lot of U2 fans happen to be Christian, some devoutly so. U2's music, for the most part, is clean or it's clean enough that any references to those things seem to go over most people's heads. People don't really notice all the references to oral on AB unless they're listening closely for it, and they might skip the songs with actual cuss words.

Which is fine. That's their prerogative. It just comes with being super religious--many churches teach that Christians should avoid improper things and cussing is considered improper. If people are offended by cussing, then that's their choice and it's not something to make fun of them for.

As far as Kendrick is concerned, I don't know much about his music and I'm not going to judge it. I do know that if the music is good, then I don't really care much about the lyrical content so long as it's not overly negative. His cussing wouldn't stop me from listening.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »

Welcome back

Thanks! You have Kendrick to credit/blame...I came to see what this bunch made of the news. Not much, apparently!

But if anyone's interested in Kendrick's faith, this article goes into a bit: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And if you'd like a real example of the kind of lyricism and storytelling that make people lose their minds over Kendrick Lamar, you can try this one, written was he was 24: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks, will take a look later.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:37 PM »
if all 4 are credited it has to a sample, right? if it's just Edge and Bono it would say Evan/Hewson, Adam and Larry wouldn't be credited right?

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

Hang on now. Why do you think Silver and Gold is terrible?