Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 9729 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where in my posts does it suggest that I am phobic towards cursing? Seems very condescending of you to assume the reason I believe those lyrics suck is because of their profanity.

And Silver and Gold is terrible, but not based off of your assumption.

And it's very presumptuous on your part to think I mean WookieWarrior10 when I was very clearly referring to the people who have a problem with cursing in music. Nor are you the only person badmouthing his lyrics on here.
Ah, apologies. I totally skipped over that post you were referring to.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where in my posts does it suggest that I am phobic towards cursing? Seems very condescending of you to assume the reason I believe those lyrics suck is because of their profanity.

Hang on now. Why do you think Silver and Gold is terrible?
I like the instrumentation, but Bono's vocal delivery pisses me off. Overall the lyrics are mostly unoffensive, but as the song continues Bono becomes so immersed in the character that they end up sounding very cliche.

And let's not forget the infamous "Am I bugging you? I don't mean to bug ya." and immediately following "Ok Edge, play the blues." lines.  Cringe-worthy! For me, anyway...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
S&G is AMAZING

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »

I like the instrumentation, but Bono's vocal delivery pisses me off. Overall the lyrics are mostly unoffensive, but as the song continues Bono becomes so immersed in the character that they end up sounding very cliche.

And let's not forget the infamous "Am I bugging you? I don't mean to bug ya." and immediately following "Ok Edge, play the blues." lines.  Cringe-worthy! For me, anyway...

well that may be why you don't like the R&H version but you can't really hold that agains the studio song right?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »

well that may be why you don't like the R&H version but you can't really hold that agains the studio song right?
But the studio version isn't on the album, correct?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
it's a b-side.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.

After hearing the results of those collaborations I wish I could go back in time

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
yea i don't think anyone is clamoring for more will.i.am or jay-z collaborations. or motivational speeches.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »

I don't have an issue with bad words. If this forum wasn't so strict, I'd probably curse the crap out of people. But do I really want to listen to a song that just talks about ****** people and says the same profanity word over and over. No, because that's not music to me. And sadly there are a lot of current wrappers like that. Some rap is just plain bad. The songs I've heard by Kendrick used the n word extensively and have terrible background sounds and of course the other one, a forum user pointed out. But hey Someone likes  fetty wap and Designer's panda, that's their choice. I'm not going to bother listening to it.
There's a difference between "bad music" and bad music. The Kendrick I've heard is both.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:22:33 PM by monopoly »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »

I don't have an issue with bad words. If this forum wasn't so strict, I'd probably curse the crap out of people. But do I really want to listen to a song that just talks about ****** people and says the same profanity word over and over. No, because that's not music to me. And sadly there are a lot of current wrappers like that. Some rap is just plain bad. The songs I've heard by Kendrick used the n word extensively and have terrible background sounds and of course the other one, a forum user pointed out. But hey Someone likes  fetty wap and Designer's panda, that's their choice. I'm not going to bother listening to it.
There's a difference between "bad music" and bad music. The Kendrick I've heard is both.
Although I don't enjoy Kendrick Lamar's music, I wouldn't caragorize his music with those other rappers you describe. There is some depth to his lyrics writing.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
I actually hope that it's a collaboration of some sort and not just a sample.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2017, 12:11:14 AM »
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.

After hearing the results of those collaborations I wish I could go back in time

Me, I'm pretty happy with Magnificent, No Line On The Horizon, and the cover U2 and the BEP did of Gimme Shelter.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »
yea i don't think anyone is clamoring for more will.i.am or jay-z collaborations. or motivational speeches.

I'm happy to have any collaborations that make good U2 songs. Will.i.am helped them on No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent, two excellent U2 songs.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:54 AM »

I'm happy to have any collaborations that make good U2 songs. Will.i.am helped them on No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent, two excellent U2 songs.

Not too sure about that. I believe will I am only contributed to "I'll go crazy".

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2017, 05:43:42 AM »

LOLL bruh did you just categorize Fetty wap .. designer and King Kenny
Bahahha now I know you know NOTHING About hip hop 😂😂😂