Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 10409 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yea i don't think anyone is clamoring for more will.i.am or jay-z collaborations. or motivational speeches.

I'm happy to have any collaborations that make good U2 songs. Will.i.am helped them on No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent, two excellent U2 songs.

huh? Crazy Tonight was what i was referring too...

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
yea i don't think anyone is clamoring for more will.i.am or jay-z collaborations. or motivational speeches.

I'm happy to have any collaborations that make good U2 songs. Will.i.am helped them on No Line On The Horizon and Magnificent, two excellent U2 songs.

Not too sure about that. I believe will I am only contributed to "I'll go crazy".

Well, I'm sure about it, and the NLOTH and GOYB liner notes confirm it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:04:30 AM by ian ryan »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
Will I.Am's biggest influence was on Crazy Tonight, which is a horrible attempt at a hit by the band. I think it was in Q magazine that Bono talks about working with Will I.Am specifically on that song.

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't have an issue with bad words. If this forum wasn't so strict, I'd probably curse the crap out of people. But do I really want to listen to a song that just talks about ****** people and says the same profanity word over and over. No, because that's not music to me. And sadly there are a lot of current wrappers like that. Some rap is just plain bad. The songs I've heard by Kendrick used the n word extensively and have terrible background sounds and of course the other one, a forum user pointed out. But hey Someone likes  fetty wap and Designer's panda, that's their choice. I'm not going to bother listening to it.
There's a difference between "bad music" and bad music. The Kendrick I've heard is both.

LOLL bruh did you just categorize Fetty wap .. designer and King Kenny
Bahahha now I know you know NOTHING About hip hop 😂😂😂

This isn't hip hop. It's rap. I think most people would agree panda isn't hip hop.

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »

Not too sure about that. I believe will I am only contributed to "I'll go crazy".

So he didn't contribute to magnificent?

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »

So he didn't contribute to magnificent?

He did contribute to Magnificent. NLOTH as in the album, GOYB as in the single that had the second version of the NLOTH song on it. I hate it when the name an album after a song lol.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »
Will I.Am's biggest influence was on Crazy Tonight, which is a horrible attempt at a hit by the band. I think it was in Q magazine that Bono talks about working with Will I.Am specifically on that song.

That doesn't change the fact that he contributed or produced other songs on the album.

Offline redapple129

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
I could see Kendrick hearing Bullet on the last tour and seeing how it could be the foundation of a track. Bono's no Kendrick Lamar, but his rap-influenced delivery towards the end certainly could've given Kendrick an idea.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that he contributed or produced other songs on the album.
I know, he contributed to Magnificent too.  :(

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »

All his credits just say additional keys though.

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
I can't say that I know too much about Kendrick Lamar, but I defy anyone to listen to 'Untitled 03 05.28.2013' and not be impressed by his subtlety and ability to describe life in the twenty-first century: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »

All his credits just say additional keys though.

He is listed as a producer on I'll Go Crazy and No Line 2.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Oh no. Kygo> Kendrick lamar. I can understand a DJ adding "sick beats" but u2 entering rap territory??? No no no!!!! Hope it's just a sample of iris or something

Kendrick is an incredible talent. And if you don't think U2 should be working with rappers, you need to go back in time and tell them to avoid Will.i.am and Jay-Z and Kanye, all those rappers that they've already worked with in one way or another.
I would HAPPILY do just that if i could. I find u2's association with such guff..... very cringeworthy!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:42:49 AM by Smee »

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
I feel sorry for all the people on here who can't listen to Silver and Gold or Cedars of Lebanon or Wake Up Dead Man because they all have naughty words. Or listen to Achtung Baby because it's all about oral sex.

But if we're just looking at lyrics and ignoring performance, playing a character, etc, read these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't have an issue with bad words. If this forum wasn't so strict, I'd probably curse the crap out of people. But do I really want to listen to a song that just talks about ****** people and says the same profanity word over and over. No, because that's not music to me. And sadly there are a lot of current wrappers like that. Some rap is just plain bad. The songs I've heard by Kendrick used the n word extensively and have terrible background sounds and of course the other one, a forum user pointed out. But hey Someone likes  fetty wap and Designer's panda, that's their choice. I'm not going to bother listening to it.
There's a difference between "bad music" and bad music. The Kendrick I've heard is both.

LOLL bruh did you just categorize Fetty wap .. designer and King Kenny
Bahahha now I know you know NOTHING About hip hop 😂😂😂

This isn't hip hop. It's rap. I think most people would agree panda isn't hip hop.

Rap is part of hip hop culture.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
I've been pretty impressed by U2s attempts at rap. Bonos wrap intro to the World Cup version of magnificent was decent, the rap outro of moment of surrender on 360 tour was pretty decent, and the rap BTBS on I&E tour was awesome. Especially the "we don't want you in our revolution " bit, as well as the "you and me, the reds and the greens..." verse.