Author Topic: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.  (Read 8585 times)

Offline this_fake_party

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: U2 will appear on Kendrick Lamar's new album.
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2017, 12:11:48 AM »
I have to jump into this.
For everyone wanting to cherry-pick a few 'convenient' lyrics from an entire catalogue to deride an artist, or say "I don't have a problem with profanity, just this specific profanity"....I offer this song:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now, I could have picked a lot of songs from his catalogue, and certainly most anything from To Pimp a Butterfly.

Consider the content of this song in its musing on life for African Americans in 21st century society. Consider also crowds of protesters singing this song in the street at rallies protesting police brutality.
Don't let racist assumptions about what you think African American males are, or what hip hop music is, cloud your ability to see that K-Dot is making very relevant and heavily contextual music that means A LOT to a lot of people.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to personally enjoy the music, but I think as music fans here, we should be able to recognize socially-important and musically innovative work when we see it, without the prism of 'genre-labels'.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2017, 01:01:22 AM »
This thread summed up in two videos:

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 01:57:45 AM »

Watch the sides switch when it's released

Online devilshoes

• Babyface
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 02:02:03 AM »
This would be a sample for sure rather than a co-write. If it was just one member of u2 then more likely to be a co-write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »

Watch the sides switch when it's released

:)

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
In the next two weeks, we should have our first taste of two, ahem, "newish" U2 songs since 2014.  At any rate, a new vibe should be definitely established for the band U2 in the next month, or so. 

First, Kendrick Lamar's new album, ALBUM, with whatever this U2 connection may be on "Track 11."  I've got to assume it's a sample, as most of Kendrick Lamar's co-writers appear first in the credits on the song before the names Hewson, Evans, Clayton, and Mullen.  My money is its a sample of either "Sunday Bloody Sunday," or "Bullet the Blue Sky."  Though I'd hedge a strong over/under on either "Pride" (as a sort of MLK-tribute), or "Numb" (only a fantasy, but I think that'd be a great and easy sample for a rap song and could describe 2017 more fittingly than it did 1993, and yes I'm aware it's a pseudo-rap song in its own right, and Cypress Hill took a crack at a remix, back in the day). 

Then, the new version of "Red Hill Mining Town" the following weekend for Record Store Day.  I'm hoping they throw that single up on iTunes for purchase.

Followed by the new tour three weeks after that.  I'm curious as to how they will present themselves to how they perceive the "world has changed" for these shows.

I'm probably most interested in the Kendrick Lamar collaboration, because I'm a fan.  Of course I'd prefer a new album of new music to any of it, but this will have to do. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

Ahh, that's a throwback to my youth.  ;D

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:43 AM »
So the song is called XXX FEATURING U2

WE GON GET AN ENTIRE SONG
LORD HOLD ME

Offline Vox

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2017, 06:54:05 AM »
Had to fix my post from yesterday... My corrections in bold.

In the next two weeks, we should have our first taste of one new, and one two, ahem, "newish" U2 songs since 2014.  At any rate, a new vibe should be definitely established for the band U2 in the next month, or so. 

First, Kendrick Lamar's new album, DAMN ALBUM, featuring with whatever this U2 connection may be on "XXX" "Track 11."  I've got to assume it's a sample, as most of Kendrick Lamar's co-writers appear first in the credits on the song before the names Hewson, Evans, Clayton, and Mullen.  My money is its a sample of either "Sunday Bloody Sunday," or "Bullet the Blue Sky."  Though I'd hedge a strong over/under on either "Pride" (as a sort of MLK-tribute), or "Numb" (only a fantasy, but I think that'd be a great and easy sample for a rap song and could describe 2017 more fittingly than it did 1993, and yes I'm aware it's a pseudo-rap song in its own right, and Cypress Hill took a crack at a remix, back in the day). 

Then, the new version of "Red Hill Mining Town" the following weekend for Record Store Day.  I'm hoping they throw that single up on iTunes for purchase.

Followed by the new tour three weeks after that.  I'm curious as to how they will present themselves to how they perceive the "world has changed" for these shows.

I'm super excited about probably most interested in the Kendrick Lamar collaboration, because I'm a fan.  My first thought was, "I hope nobody embarrasses themselves," and this goes for U2 as well as Kendrick Lamar.  But I think he's so been so golden lately, it's gonna be, as the kids used to say when I was a kid, "dope." Of course I'd prefer a new album of new music to any of it, but this will have to do. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:30:37 AM by Vox »

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
Alright, fingers crossed this collab went well. Please let it be a serious and dark song as I honestly don't think it would work otherwise.

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd lean heavily towards it just being a sample from at least one of their songs. And instead of taking payment or a portion of royalties (since I don't think they need much more money) U2 asked to be a feature instead.

And if it is a new track they wrote with him, I'd be excited about that too.

Kendrick is arguably the hottest artist out there (and very well respected) so lament all you want about the yutes and the culture,  but they couldn't buy that kind of exposure (though I guess technically they sorta did). I'm not going to try to convince some of you of his merits, but it's amusing to see others try.

Offline Vox

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »
I saw this quote on Twitter, and it's just too funny/painful not to share:

"DOES KENDRICK EVEN KNOW THAT U2 IS ON HIS ALBUM, BECAUSE THEIR ALBUM IS STILL ON MY PHONE AND I NEVER ASKED FOR THAT."

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
So the song is called XXX FEATURING U2

WE GON GET AN ENTIRE SONG
LORD HOLD ME

Featuring usually means it's not a sample.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
I said this almost 2 months ago and still stick by it:

The right collaboration with a current artist COULD work, but it is very risky and could cheapen U2 if it is poorly executed. I mean, look at the collaborations they've done in the past. Those with Green Day and Mary J. Blige I would argue were NOT good. Those they did in the 80s/90s (with people like BB King, Sinead O'Connor etc.) I would argue were good.

Are there any current artists who could collaborate well with U2? I think a strong female vocalist dueting with Bono could be very interesting so long as the music itself is a typical U2 sound (and by typical, I mean not cheap pop music). Lady Gaga has been mentioned here and it seems like some/most have a negative perception of her. While it is true she got famous as a sort of "shock" pop star, she has good vocal range and seems to be a talented musician in her own right. She also recently did a duets project with Tony Bennett that was surprisingly classy and good. Beyonce is another example of a strong female vocalist with talent (although her music is not my cup of tea).

Ed Sheeran was just mentioned (jokingly) and he, too, seems to be talented. I don't know that he could bring much to the table for U2, though. I mean, they're already working with Tedder and he's known for being one of the best pop song writers/producers in today's music world. I feel like anything Sheeran could bring to the table is something Tedder already has (and it did not work--see SoI).

But again, it all comes down to execution. If U2 stick to their style of music and decide to bring in a pop singer to sing on a track, why not? It could work out very well. But if they're going to just collaborate with a pop star and do a trashy pop song for the sake of getting another hit? That's going to just cheapen their reputation.

Like I said before, I'm keeping a very open mind to this collab with Kendrick. It could either be amazing or it could be not so good. I know fans on both sides of the aisle aren't thrilled with this collab, but keep an open mind.

Offline MPare1966

• Stateless
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
My 18yo son is a huge Kendrick fan and he's quite curious about this U2 collab. I brought him to see I&E 2 years ago and he quite enjoyed it, even if for him, U2 are considered very old rockers. I'm also very curious about this new song. Btw, is this U2 trying to be "relevant" again?  ;D