Author Topic: The 5 Most Important Songs in Rock History  (Read 792 times)

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The 5 Most Important Songs in Rock History
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Money For Nothing. dIRE sTRAITS

This isn't as daft a shout as it may appear at first glance....

The video was groundbreaking and probably chnaged a lot of artists approach to the use of videos for songs/was at the forefront of how important videos became to the music business in the 80's and how MTV worked.

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 05:26:22 AM »
Maybelline
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Purple Haze
Blitzkrieg Bop
Smells Like Teen Spirit

...well, there you have it.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

The video was groundbreaking and probably chnaged a lot of artists approach to the use of videos for songs/was at the forefront of how important videos became to the music business in the 80's and how MTV worked.
I'd say that Bohemian Rhapsody was more groundbreaking in that regard. That music video was the first of its kind and is what set the precedent for future musicians to create videos to accompany their singles.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
If I really had to pick one song, it would be Johnny Be Good.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 06:55:01 PM »
"Tomorrow Never Knows" or "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles.

Why?

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »

Why?

"A Day in the Life" was very significant. From that song came the progressive rock genre in the 70's.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
Hm.  This is practically impossible.  The IMPORTANT ones are likely ones none of us would probably much care for, but were it not for them, there'd be no U2 to talk about.  But I guess I'd have to say:

Maybelline
Rock Around the Clock
She Loves You
Blowin' in the Wind
Satisfaction

And since that isn't nearly enough, you'd have to probably include:
Cross Road Blues
Tutti Frutti
That'll Be The Day
Yesterday
Like a Rolling Stone
A Day In the Life
Purple Haze
Stairway to Heaven
Blitzkrieg Bop
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »

I'd say that Bohemian Rhapsody was more groundbreaking in that regard. That music video was the first of its kind and is what set the precedent for future musicians to create videos to accompany their singles.

Not a bad shout that.

Don't get me wrong i am not suggesting that Money for Nothing is in that top tier of all time most important songs - but it was very key in the whole 80's video era and mtv surge....for the video of course....was it the first one shown on mtv europe? think it may have been...

Bohemian Rhapsody being much earlier was as you say groundbreaking for the time with its video but videos still hadn't really become all that important back then and i am not sure if it did influence others all that much due to the time.

It is an interesting subject though this one - and is one that as it gets discussed more has good little offshoots like this/can bring some interesting discussion points to the fore.

The Anarchy in The UK shout that somebody made is an example of an incredibly influnetial song that is probably not always recognised for just how historically important it is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:32:10 PM by an tha »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols is surely a contender? Completely changed everything for an entire, and subsequent future, generations.

It did, yes.  But my understanding is that the British punk movement was actually slightly behind the New York-based one, which is why I put the Ramones on my list rather than the Sex Pistols.  It's probably splitting hairs.  The UK movement was, I believe, more politically-motivated, so I could see an argument for them.

Also, the entirety of the punk movement owed a debt to the glam movement just prior.  Bowie's Starman and T. Rex's Bang a Gong are certainly worth mentioning, as well as MC5's Kick Out the Jams.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »

Not a bad shout that.

Don't get me wrong i am not suggesting that Money for Nothing is in that top tier of all time most important songs - but it was very key in the whole 80's video era and mtv surge....for the video of course....was it the first one shown on mtv europe? think it may have been...

Bohemian Rhapsody being much earlier was as you say groundbreaking for the time with its video but videos still hadn't really become all that important back then and i am not sure if it did influence others all that much due to the time.

It is an interesting subject though this one - and is one that as it gets discussed more has good little offshoots like this/can bring some interesting discussion points to the fore.

The Anarchy in The UK shout that somebody made is an example of an incredibly influnetial song that is probably not always recognised for just how historically important it is.

Oh man, I just can't see Dire Straits in here.  Even in terms of videos, Money for Nothing was in 1985.  By that point you'd already had Michael Jackson's Thriller, not to mention stuff like Duran Duran, The Police, Madonna, Prince, etc.  Musically, they're traditionalists.  I'm not saying they're bad--I actually like some of their stuff--but there's nothing there that would make them in the top 5 most important song, bands, etc. IMO.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 02:45:17 PM »

Not a bad shout that.

Oh man, I just can't see Dire Straits in here.  Even in terms of videos, Money for Nothing was in 1985.  By that point you'd already had Michael Jackson's Thriller, not to mention stuff like Duran Duran, The Police, Madonna, Prince, etc.  Musically, they're traditionalists.  I'm not saying they're bad--I actually like some of their stuff--but there's nothing there that would make them in the top 5 most important song, bands, etc. IMO.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not advocating that song (or them) anywhere near that top level...it was just an interesting side point about how that video was so influential/important at the start of the mtv era.

I personally don't like them anyway - although Brothers in Arms (the song not the album) was great IMO.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

Why?

Tomorrow Never Knows was the first case of using backwards vocals. Used multiple Tape Loops, Indian instrumentation. It just pushed the limits of technology. I know Revolver had the first use of Automatic Double Tracking, not sure if Tomorrow Never Knows used it.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »

Why?

"A Day in the Life" was very significant. From that song came the progressive rock genre in the 70's.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

I'm asking because I don't know these songs. Granted, I'm not a Beatles fan. But all of the other songs listed are well known and IMO for a song to be considered "Top 5 Most Important", it should be generally well known.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

Why?

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

I'm asking because I don't know these songs. Granted, I'm not a Beatles fan. But all of the other songs listed are well known and IMO for a song to be considered "Top 5 Most Important", it should be generally well known.

Actually, in this case, it was more the album Sgt Pepper as a whole that was groundbreaking, marking the begining the "album era", as some say. And "A Day in the Life" being the "pièce de résistance" of the album, that's why that particular song is regarded as the Beatles' masterpiece.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
You gotta put Rumble up there.