Author Topic: The 5 Most Important Songs in Rock History  (Read 1083 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: The 5 Most Important Songs in Rock History
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You gotta put Rumble up there.

Definitely played a crucial role in developing the attitude of Rock-n-Roll, that's for sure.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Smells Like Teen Spirit

These are event songs that blew up the entire musical paradigm

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
"Tomorrow Never Knows" or "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles.

Why?

"A Day in the Life" was very significant. From that song came the progressive rock genre in the 70's.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

I'm asking because I don't know these songs. Granted, I'm not a Beatles fan. But all of the other songs listed are well known and IMO for a song to be considered "Top 5 Most Important", it should be generally well known.

Actually, in this case, it was more the album Sgt Pepper as a whole that was groundbreaking, marking the begining the "album era", as some say. And "A Day in the Life" being the "pièce de résistance" of the album, that's why that particular song is regarded as the Beatles' masterpiece.

I don't get it, but thanks for the insight  :)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:32 PM »
"Tomorrow Never Knows" or "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles.

Why?

"A Day in the Life" was very significant. From that song came the progressive rock genre in the 70's.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

I'm asking because I don't know these songs. Granted, I'm not a Beatles fan. But all of the other songs listed are well known and IMO for a song to be considered "Top 5 Most Important", it should be generally well known.

Actually, in this case, it was more the album Sgt Pepper as a whole that was groundbreaking, marking the begining the "album era", as some say. And "A Day in the Life" being the "pièce de résistance" of the album, that's why that particular song is regarded as the Beatles' masterpiece.

I don't get it, but thanks for the insight  :)

If you look at the kind of reissue they are putting out for the 50th anniversary of the album, you can easily see how big (or influential) that album was back then.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 02:38:12 AM »
Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols is surely a contender? Completely changed everything for an entire, and subsequent future, generations.

It did, yes.  But my understanding is that the British punk movement was actually slightly behind the New York-based one, which is why I put the Ramones on my list rather than the Sex Pistols.  It's probably splitting hairs.  The UK movement was, I believe, more politically-motivated, so I could see an argument for them.

Also, the entirety of the punk movement owed a debt to the glam movement just prior.  Bowie's Starman and T. Rex's Bang a Gong are certainly worth mentioning, as well as MC5's Kick Out the Jams.

Yep - I'm with you there. Starman on TOTP in Britain is a pivotal moment in Rock History and British Pop Culture. Some of the older folk who formed punk bands had a huge Glam influence. As for the Pistols/Ramones or UK/USA or London/New York punk debate ... it will rumble on forever!