Author Topic: Hells Bells! I absolutely LOVE Harry Styles' New song!!  (Read 124 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
Hells Bells! I absolutely LOVE Harry Styles' New song!!
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
I've never been a One Direction fan. Well they're not a group aimed at my generation, of course, but I can appreciate music by any artists of any age or genre if (imo) the music is good and to my taste. Age is irrelevant really, when it comes to music and there are plenty of artists I enjoy listening to that I would probably be considered "too old" for! One Direction's music has never been my cup of tea though.

Harry Styles though. Never really given him much thought, except that I remember him on X Factor years ago and thought he had a good voice. From the stuff I've heard of One Direction over the years I've still thought he has a good voice but that it was being wasted on silly generic teen pop.

Now he's released his debut solo single, Sign Of The Times (no, not the Prince song, lol) and I absolutely love it! A big sweeping epic sounding ballad that, to me has a sort of Oasis crossed with Coldplay sound, with a 70's retro feel to it, especially the guitars on it. It also has a bit of an early 70's John Lennon feel to it, I think.

Importantly, I think Harry's vocals are great on it. Like I said I think he just needed a good song to show off how well he can sing! Obviously his voice has matured a lot too, in recent years. I never thought I'd be singing the praises of a member of One Direction but, if Harry's future songs are as good as this one I'll be buying his album! It makes a change that he hasn't gone down the usual bland, boring, generic R'nB or dance stuff that so many artists do today.

Here's the audio video (no proper video made for it yet):
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's quite a long single too, at 5 mins, 41 seconds. I wonder who it will appeal to. Is it too mature and "rock" sounding for young One Direction fans? Is it too long for their short attention spans? Lol. Will "serious" music fans automatically dismiss the song because it's sung by an ex-member of a teenybopper band? That would be a shame, if so, because I really think it's a great song, wonderfully sung and shows the guy has talent and should be given a chance without being judged by his stuff with his old group. I think if you played the song to someone without telling them who it is by, I don't think in a million years they would guess it was by a former member of One Direction! :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:25:44 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Hells Bells! I absolutely LOVE Harry Styles' New song!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
Hmm, reminds of that Weeknd fellow. Not "rock" by any stretch of the imagination, but I will admit that it's an improvement over anything One Direction ever did.

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Hells Bells! I absolutely LOVE Harry Styles' New song!!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm, reminds of that Weeknd fellow. Not "rock" by any stretch of the imagination, but I will admit that it's an improvement over anything One Direction ever did.
Rock ballad 'tinged' perhaps then. Heck, compared to One Direction it's practically death metal! Lol. It's not generic dance or r'n'b, that much I know and am happy about! I'm surprised no one here's interested in the song. I think it's an excellent song and I love his voice on it. It may be the case I was talking about, that people won't give it a chance because of who it's by, which is a shame. Btw, I don't know The Weeknd's music. May have to check it out if it's like this song!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:34:03 AM by Spaderholic »