Poll

How do you feel about the impeding Kendrick Lamar and U2 collaboration titled "XXX?"

Yea
51 (63%)
Nay
20 (24.7%)
Too stunned to say
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: April 15, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
Thoughts?  I don't listen to much rap, but Kendrick Lamar is one of the artists I really dig.  At first blush, this seems like an unlikely pairing.  But when you look at both his and U2's political and spiritual leanings, it begins to make some sense.  I'm voting "yea," but I'm still stunned about the news.  It will be very interesting to see what transpires when this is released on Friday.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
Re: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
The last good colab that U2 did was probably I'm Not Your Baby or something (The Troubles doesn't count). Everything they've done since Pop has been with some supposed "hip" artist like Wyclef Jean, Green Day, or Missy Elliot, but they were all pretty lame.

It's so obviously pandering.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:35:15 PM »
No opinion on this collaboration really but i think i'll go and put the album cover in the 'bad album covers' thread....

Maybe Kendrick Lamar has been taking tips off u2 on album covers as well!

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
Nay. The thought just puts my neck hairs up...don't know why.

Offline Vox

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The last good colab that U2 did was probably I'm Not Your Baby or something (The Troubles doesn't count). Everything they've done since Pop has been with some supposed "hip" artist like Wyclef Jean, Green Day, or Missy Elliot, but they were all pretty lame.

It's so obviously pandering.

I agree with your view on U2 and collaborations.  I'm not a big fan of their collaborations with BB King, Mary J. Blige, Jay Z, or the others you mentioned (though I do like "The Saints are Coming").  I think the reason I'm not a huge supporter of "The Troubles" was the fact that it was a collaboration and upended a fantastic "side B" to Songs of Innocence (I can take or leave "side A").  Besides Green Day, maybe the only collaboration they did that I dug was with Johnny Cash.

I could more easily see a U2/rap collaboration with, say, Kayne West (I cringed when there were the rumors Bono was going to be on his last album).  Or even Drake, when they are all buddying around backstage a year or so ago. 

But I disagree with you about pandering, in this case.  Kendrick Lamar isn't a bubblegum pop star.  He's got an edge to him.  It's hard to imagine what this could possibly sound like.  Are U2 appearing on this album as part of their never-ending and detrimental quest for "relevancy?"  I'm not nave enough to think that's not a part of it.  However, I'm inclined to believe what's going on here will be something heavy, either politically or spiritually (or both, at the same time).  And I don't think Kendrick Lamar would let something limp and lame that reeks of rock stars in a freefalling midlife crisis on his album.   

At first blush, I was worried of U2 embarrassing themselves, like your divorced dad buying a convertible and cruising for women half his age.  But knowing what I know about Kendrick Lamar and thinking about it further, I don't think this will be the case.

*caveat:  coincidentally, I accidentally heard the Kendrick Lamar/Maroon 5 song on the radio last night in the car and temporarily thought about driving myself into the ditch to stop the noise.
**disclaimer:  Vox and the subsidiaries of Vox reserve the right to say he was horribly and unequivocally wrong whence Good Friday arrives. 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »
I don't know how I feel... I don't know enough about Lamar's music to feel inclined towards either category.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
I trust somebody like Kendrick Lamar more than most because he really does put his soul in his work. So even though this might not really work out, I'm actually excited about it.

Offline Vox

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
Good article that touches on what I was saying. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
Ive been listening to a lot of Kendrick these past few months I really enjoy it. Very exited to see what they did. I think he is one of the good ones ;) .

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
Hopefully, Kendrick sticks to just writing the lyrics and lets Bono deliver them. Kendrick's voice is HORRIBLE - it ruins all his otherwise killer songs, and is reason 1 why I can't listen to anything he does more than once.

Online Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Back to back champions!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
It's kind of an odd pairing (especially considering it's the whole band), but I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
Maybe I'll hear it first but U2's track record in this regard is dire.

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to this collab. You got one of the best rap artists and one of the best rock groups doing a song together. I think this track is going to surprise people and be talked about in good ways.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
I don't know KL well enough to have a honest opinion on his music, the very few things I've heard weren't impressive to me, but I can't say I'm a fan of rap (not "modern" rap at least).
However, if he's so well respected as an artist there must be a reason (apparently Edge likes his music).

Whether I like it or not, if this collab would serve the purpose of putting the band back under a positive light with the public, it can only be a good thing to me.

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 01:40:49 AM »
I would say 'nay'. But, people, let it first see what's coming before judging