Poll

How do you feel about the impeding Kendrick Lamar and U2 collaboration titled "XXX?"

Yea
51 (63%)
Nay
20 (24.7%)
Too stunned to say
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: April 15, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?  (Read 5102 times)

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
Re: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 01:44:07 AM »
Reading about it made me want to vomit.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maybe I'll hear it first but U2's track record in this regard is dire.

True, mate - but this isn't a u2 song or u2 led song is it....this is a Kendrick Lamar job with u2 guesting on it.

I'd wager heavily that a u2 song featuring Lamar would be beyond horrible - a Lamar song featuring u2 much less so.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 07:47:04 AM »
Who is Kendrick Lamar?

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on Sept 14 in New Orleans
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »
I can't wait. Kendrick is one of the best in the game right now.

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
Good article that touches on what I was saying. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah pretty much this. It's a Kendrick Lamar song. It's not a U2 song. It was produced by Mike WiLL Made-It (who produced Kendrick's Humble and Beyonce's Formation). Those hoping for a big dose of U2-ey-ness are probably going to be disappointed. Though if they did manage to harness and mold the band to fit a Kendrick Lamar song that would be impressive.

I can't see it being simply Kendrick rapping over a run of the mill U2 backing track - unless it's a heavily sampled/chopped up already released U2 track, which is what I'm guessing it is - not a true collaboration (though maybe Bono sang new vocals for it or the band recorded new parts for it.) It would just seem like a strange use of U2 to turn them into a studio session band. And if it is one of U2's hits being sampled, it makes sense to me that U2 would ask to be credited as a feature on the album rather than receiving payment or royalties. It would be a similar agreement to what they did with Apple and their iPod.

Anyway, I was excited for his album already and the U2 track won't make or break it for me, but I'm very, very curious about it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:26:09 AM by Messenger »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
I'm about as excited for this as I have been for any U2 collaboration ever. Kendrick is a superb talent.

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »
This is pretty exciting stuff, folks. I'm pumped about this collab. I think it's going to be a solid track. Both Kendrick and U2 are still big, respected artists with talent.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
I'm about as excited for this as I have been for any U2 collaboration ever. Kendrick is a superb talent.

Same here.

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Not sure if I am anxious to hear this song or excited...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

Be that as it may, my reason for not being excited is that we are talking about two completely different genres here. I mean, if U2 collaborated with the best polka band ever, it'd still be polka.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

Be that as it may, my reason for not being excited is that we are talking about two completely different genres here. I mean, if U2 collaborated with the best polka band ever, it'd still be polka.

Not if they blended their style of music with the polka artist's style. Which I think is probably what people are expecting here with the Kendrick collab.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

Not if they blended their style of music with the polka artist's style. Which I think is probably what people are expecting here with the Kendrick collab.

That's my point. If it's a hip hop style song, people who aren't into that kind of music won't like it, even if they like U2.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »

That's my point. If it's a hip hop style song, people who aren't into that kind of music won't like it, even if they like U2.

There goes old man Exile again, shaking his fist out the door.  Just joking -- Exile's argument is incredibly valid.  That's what makes the possibilities of whatever this is so fascinating. 

I just hope whatever it is won't be embarrassing.  That was my initial reaction when I heard the news.  But after some reflection this week, I don't think that will be the case.  Best case scenario for me:  some sort of crazy new sound that will turn the world on its ear.  Worst case scenario: "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)." 

I think my current opinion was summed up by WookieWarrior 10 above -- alternating feelings of anxiousness and excitability.     

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
well i dont have a strong opinion one way or the other. i mean obviously it won't be a sample but something new. i guess i'm intrigued.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

You really think that different genres can't work well together? All I need to say is Kashmir to prove that wrong. And how far from each other do you think rock and rap actually are?