Poll

How do you feel about the impeding Kendrick Lamar and U2 collaboration titled "XXX?"

Yea
51 (63%)
Nay
20 (24.7%)
Too stunned to say
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: April 15, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well i dont have a strong opinion one way or the other. i mean obviously it won't be a sample but something new. i guess i'm intrigued.

This.
Anything that places the band outside of their usual surroundings can only be a good thing.

I'm not getting the negativity on here towards a song that no one has heard yet, as if there is a will for U2 to fail.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
I'm about as excited for this as I have been for any U2 collaboration ever. Kendrick is a superb talent.

Be that as it may, my reason for not being excited is that we are talking about two completely different genres here. I mean, if U2 collaborated with the best polka band ever, it'd still be polka.

Not if they blended their style of music with the polka artist's style. Which I think is probably what people are expecting here with the Kendrick collab.

That's my point. If it's a hip hop style song, people who aren't into that kind of music won't like it, even if they like U2.

There goes old man Exile again, shaking his fist out the door.  Just joking -- Exile's argument is incredibly valid.  That's what makes the possibilities of whatever this is so fascinating. 

I just hope whatever it is won't be embarrassing.  That was my initial reaction when I heard the news.  But after some reflection this week, I don't think that will be the case.  Best case scenario for me:  some sort of crazy new sound that will turn the world on its ear.  Worst case scenario: "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)."     

But Stranded was Bono and Edge, not U2. As much as I enjoy what they do on their own, what they do on their own doesn't hold a candle to what the full band does.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
I'm about as excited for this as I have been for any U2 collaboration ever. Kendrick is a superb talent.

Be that as it may, my reason for not being excited is that we are talking about two completely different genres here. I mean, if U2 collaborated with the best polka band ever, it'd still be polka.

You really think that different genres can't work well together? All I need to say is Kashmir to prove that wrong. And how far from each other do you think rock and rap actually are?

I don't know if it's that these genres won't work well, or that a young rapper and an old rock band won't work well. I think it's the second one, and I think it'll be U2's fault, not Kendrick's.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
Album has leaked. Have listened to the XXX track. It is a new song, no samples used. Bono sings a verse toward the end of the song that is repeated. There is piano. I'm not sure if that was contributed by The Edge or what the other band members involvement was like. But I do know, despite never really being a rap fan...I loved how the song sounded.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
Album has leaked. Have listened to the XXX track. It is a new song, no samples used. Bono sings a verse toward the end of the song that is repeated. There is piano. I'm not sure if that was contributed by The Edge or what the other band members involvement was like. But I do know, despite never really being a rap fan...I loved how the song sounded.

Damn, the end of the song is so smooth. Not at all what I expected, but so good.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »
well i dont have a strong opinion one way or the other. i mean obviously it won't be a sample but something new. i guess i'm intrigued.

This.
Anything that places the band outside of their usual surroundings can only be a good thing.

I'm not getting the negativity on here towards a song that no one has heard yet, as if there is a will for U2 to fail.

There really hasn't been much negativity at all really...there has been the usual mix of the odd knee jerk reaction at both ends of the spectrum, cautious opinion and people not really being sure what to think.

The whole conversation has been pretty balanced....I honestly don't see the need for the over played 'negativity' card you have played here.

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »

Could be Larry playing the drums for the outro part with Bono too. Bass doesn't sound much like Adam but who knows, I'm sure he could play that part. Really liked the song (was a Kendrick fan already).

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »

Could be Larry playing the drums for the outro part with Bono too. Bass doesn't sound much like Adam but who knows, I'm sure he could play that part. Really liked the song (was a Kendrick fan already).

Bono specifically references drums and bass, so I think that's why Edge went wth a minimal piano piece and Adam and Larry flaunted.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
Bono ain't bad. But overall... its hard to think much of it. Seems a tad disjointed.

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
That's been typical Kendrick for the last few albums. A majority of them haven't been the straightforward verse/chorus/repeat kind. The singles? Yeah. The rest, not so much.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Bono ain't bad. But overall... its hard to think much of it. Seems a tad disjointed.

Just think Zooropa or Fez/Being Born.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »
I like most genres of music but this is one that I cannot warm to. Pretty much grew up through school with Rap and Hip Hop in a great place with its popularity surging.....

I was always into great grooves, great melodies and a great vocal, mainly Dance and Rock music.

I can however appreciate very good songwriting under the rap and hip hop genre, I like the nod to America and the political phenomenon that has just occurred.

I can understand politically why Bono would want to feature on this track but it's a bit bizarre and has left me feeling confused about it all to be honest

Overall it's not something I would listen to let alone buy, shouldn't it just be Bono credited on the song and not U2? I can only hear a electronic production going on in 'XXX'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »

Bono specifically references drums and bass, so I think that's why Edge went wth a minimal piano piece and Adam and Larry flaunted.

Yeah, that's why I think the others were involved in some way, perhaps just heavy editing is masking their parts. I don't know. I'll give the track another listen.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
The u2 clip sounds interesting. Wonder if it will be something bigger on SOE

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
well that was much ado about nothing. it's just one line sung twice at the end of what songs like a collage of song ideas.