Poll

How do you feel about the impeding Kendrick Lamar and U2 collaboration titled "XXX?"

Yea
51 (63%)
Nay
20 (24.7%)
Too stunned to say
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: April 15, 2017, 01:17:51 PM

Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Kendrick Lamar/U2 Collaboration "XXX": Yea or Nay?
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah U2 needs to release the album by this fall at the latest. Now's the time.

"nows the time" has been the mantra since i+e ended but you're right. now REALLY is the time. they found a backdoor into the spotlight with this song, the public has U2 in good graces, so capitalize on that.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
What a painfully CRAP song XXX is. PLease u2/Bono....stop this nonsense and release your own music.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
The only sad thing about this collaboration is that the same band that can release such a kickass collab will tour behind a 30 years old album this summer.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
The only sad thing about this collaboration is that the same band that can release such a kickass collab will tour behind a 30 years old album this summer.

Haha, good point. Whatever "relevance for today" this song may achieve for them risks being undone the moment KL fans realize U2 is touring an album that came out while Facts of Life was still on prime time TV.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
I don't think this collab will bring many new fans to U2. This will only make people more confortable with the band, like "they can be cool".

Everybody is aware that U2 is an old act and I don't think anybody cares if U2 is touring a 30 years old album. Only the fans.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2017, 01:15:44 PM »
I don't think this collab will bring many new fans to U2. This will only make people more confortable with the band, like "they can be cool".

Everybody is aware that U2 is an old act and I don't think anybody cares if U2 is touring a 30 years old album. Only the fans.

Yup. 99% of U2's fans will never hear this song and don't like this genre anyways. Majority of Kendricks fans are not into 'old' rock music and won't be checking out U2. Won't have any effect on SOE getting a new audience.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
Just occurred to me that Bono will be, what, 57 this year? Johnny Cash was only a few years older than that when he collaborated on "The Wanderer." Maybe this primes the pump for U2 to record a series of ever more desolate Soundgarden and NIN covers until they die in a really heart-breakingly vulnerable way.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »

Yup. 99% of U2's fans will never hear this song and don't like this genre anyways.

That's a remarkably broad and bold statement. The isolationism from the U2 community that has shown up in response to this song has been kind of flabbergasting.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

Yup. 99% of U2's fans will never hear this song and don't like this genre anyways.

That's a remarkably broad and bold statement. The isolationism from the U2 community that has shown up in response to this song has been kind of flabbergasting.

Yes, but it is just a small cameo, nothing mindblowing. And it's a collab that doesn't reflect most of what you'll find in U2's output. How many people will download a U2 album after that, I wonder? Maybe they'll listen to some hits in the youtube, like WOWY, Pride etc.

Of course, many Kendrick Lamar's fans are music fans, so they don't need to be presented to U2, cause they already have an opinion of the band (good or bad or whatever).

But I do think this brings some goodwill towards the next U2 album, that is, Songs of Experience. I just hope the band can capture the momentum and release something interesting enough to please ME, the critics and the crowd.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »

I feel the same way. I think it's more of a generation thing. A lot of people who grew up in the 80's or 90's tend to see music genres as barriers. People claim to be from a clan (rock or alternative) and listen to nothing else. The younger generation doesn't care about genres and listen to a variety of stuff.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »

Yes, but it is just a small cameo, nothing mindblowing. And it's a collab that doesn't reflect most of what you'll find in U2's output. How many people will download a U2 album after that, I wonder? Maybe they'll listen to some hits in the youtube, like WOWY, Pride etc.

It's them trying something new, getting out of their comfort zone, not being afraid to break down some barriers, real or perceived. I think it's exactly what you'll find in a lot of U2's output.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »

I feel the same way. I think it's more of a generation thing. A lot of people who grew up in the 80's or 90's tend to see music genres as barriers. People claim to be from a clan (rock or alternative) and listen to nothing else. The younger generation doesn't care about genres and listen to a variety of stuff.

That's true too, but most people don't listen anymore to albums, and that's the best way to appreciate U2.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »

It's them trying something new, getting out of their comfort zone, not being afraid to break down some barriers, real or perceived. I think it's exactly what you'll find in a lot of U2's output.

Come on, the U2 part isn't exactly something new, out of their confort zone, not afraid to break down some barriers. It's just a cool jam that created a nice contrast to the violence of the first part of the song (that is all Kendrick Lamar).

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

Come on, the U2 part isn't exactly something new, out of their confort zone, not afraid to break down some barriers. It's just a cool jam that created a nice contrast to the violence of the first part of the song (that is all Kendrick Lamar).

Yeah, let me know the last time they worked on a song this angry and desparately violent with one of the biggest rappers in the world. Let me know the last time a collaboration caused this much consternation and knee jerk ridiculousness in the U2 community. Let me know the last time fans of rap mentioned U2 for anything other than putting SOI on their iPhones. I'm not just talking about the specific music they played; I'm talking about the message the collaboration sent as well. The music is their best part, but U2 has always been bigger than their music.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2017, 12:22:01 AM »

Yeah, let me know the last time they worked on a song this angry and desparately violent with one of the biggest rappers in the world. Let me know the last time a collaboration caused this much consternation and knee jerk ridiculousness in the U2 community. Let me know the last time fans of rap mentioned U2 for anything other than putting SOI on their iPhones. I'm not just talking about the specific music they played; I'm talking about the message the collaboration sent as well. The music is their best part, but U2 has always been bigger than their music.

Man, why this overreaction? I like rap, I like this collaboration, I think XXX is awesome, one of the best tracks of the album (yes, I've listened to the whole album) and I think the U2 part of the song is pretty good. And I do think this is good to their image too (and people are being positive about it).

But let's just be realistic. It's just small cameo that pleople received as being surprisingly good and cool. However, the U2 part (their 1:30 minute of one song) is not an epiphany, it is not earth shattering music, not something people will listen to and think "omg, where was this band in all my life". They are not an overwhelming presence in the album.

Nobody here is being negative about this whole thing. We just don't want to exaggerate the consequences... because, as fans, we will read every news that will come about this collaboration and will think that the whole world is reading that too.