Author Topic: New HTDAAB Vinyl Release  (Read 1278 times)

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
Re: New HTDAAB Vinyl Release
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm well its possible the 00s albums had a little more focus on vinyl versions when released so it might be easier? Or its possible they're going based on popularity/sales, HTDAAB & ATYCLB would be ahead of Pop, Zooropa and NLOTH. Yes Achtung Baby would be their most popular post-80s album, though you can technically get that on Vinyl with the Super Deluxe if people want to spend. They should release it on its own though. Sure it will eventually.

Although since its such a niche market though I really think its random. If they went purely on sales, ATYCLB would be first, not counting Achtung. I wouldn't worry, the rest will be released. Everyone else is doing it, mostly.

Yeah, I sure hope so. It's my goal to own every album from Boy through at least Achtung Baby on vinyl, then the rest on CD. Possibly vinyl if they ever get around to putting Zooropa or Pop out on vinyl again.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 05:39:03 AM »
Gone and ordered the Bomb vinyl. And I say that as a lucky owner of a 2004 copy which I bought on the night of release. At least the original can be kept in as near mint condition as possible now.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »
Yeah probably just going to gradually release them rather than some big promoted release for all of them. Though its not a studio album I just noticed U218 Singles is out May 5th.

Has anyone ever actually listened to an older analog record and then a newly released copy of the same album? Seems like there are so many different opinions.

Really depends on your vinyl setup, too. If you want to really hear the difference between vinyl/CD/digital, you need to have a vinyl setup that costs at least $500 between the speakers, turntable, amp etc. Anything less than that and you're better off just investing in a semi-cheap CD player and decent set of speakers...vinyl won't sound any better in that price range.

Anyway, I just upgraded my vinyl/CD setup (the speakers) so I'm really interested to see if I can hear any differences on HTDAAB vinyl vs. the CD.

I don't understand why they are focusing so heavily on re-releasing the 00s albums on vinyl (especially the U218 album...really? It's not even as good as the 80s/90s compilations) when there's an even bigger need for re-releases of the 90s albums. That's my favorite decade of U2 music and I'm not gonna pay $300 to acquire those three albums on vinyl.

Likely because, unless your a rich person.....the 00's vinyl will sting you about £100 a pop, regardless of which album you wanted (prior to Atomic Bomb re-release)
The 90s albums are a lot more accessible and less costly. My Copy of Actung Baby stung me all of £7....but mainly, it costs around £30. Zooropa is a bit more expensive, usually around £40-£50 and Pop can cost up to £80

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
Yeah probably just going to gradually release them rather than some big promoted release for all of them. Though its not a studio album I just noticed U218 Singles is out May 5th.

Has anyone ever actually listened to an older analog record and then a newly released copy of the same album? Seems like there are so many different opinions.

Really depends on your vinyl setup, too. If you want to really hear the difference between vinyl/CD/digital, you need to have a vinyl setup that costs at least $500 between the speakers, turntable, amp etc. Anything less than that and you're better off just investing in a semi-cheap CD player and decent set of speakers...vinyl won't sound any better in that price range.

Anyway, I just upgraded my vinyl/CD setup (the speakers) so I'm really interested to see if I can hear any differences on HTDAAB vinyl vs. the CD.

I don't understand why they are focusing so heavily on re-releasing the 00s albums on vinyl (especially the U218 album...really? It's not even as good as the 80s/90s compilations) when there's an even bigger need for re-releases of the 90s albums. That's my favorite decade of U2 music and I'm not gonna pay $300 to acquire those three albums on vinyl.

Likely because, unless your a rich person.....the 00's vinyl will sting you about £100 a pop, regardless of which album you wanted (prior to Atomic Bomb re-release)
The 90s albums are a lot more accessible and less costly. My Copy of Actung Baby stung me all of £7....but mainly, it costs around £30. Zooropa is a bit more expensive, usually around £40-£50 and Pop can cost up to £80

I must be seeing a lot of expensive copies on Amazon and eBay then. Or maybe it's a US thing where those vinyls are more costly. But I've yet to see AB or Zooropa around those prices here in the US.

Offline Mozz

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
Whoa, didn't know the vinyls were so expensive. Bought Bomb when it came out & it's in storage with the other vinyl & CDs.

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
If you are patient and pick your time you can pick up some of the original vinyl issues at reasonable prices. Amazon had a box of leftover NLOTH stock for £21 a couple of months ago. I managed to get a copy of "Pop" for £50, which is the highest I have gone.

Try getting a copy of "best of 1980-90" or "90-00" for under £100... that's a tough job.

The band should really do a set of limited vinyl reissues i.e. a three month ordering window, and run a pressing to pre-orders & some leftovers only. That would drive out the 'unofficial repressing' market.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
Well I googled "U2 atomic bomb vinyl 2017" and found a pretty detailed article about U2 vinyl in general: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Some notable stuff, but the whole thing is kind of interesting:
The album will not be remastered in any way from the original vinyl pressing, and it will be released with the catalog number U214, which is the same catalog number the original vinyl was released under. The album will be released as a UK release on March 31, 2017, and will be considered an import in other territories.

We spoke with Universal and we have been told that How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is the first in an attempt to get the older out-of-print albums back into print in vinyl format and that they are aware of the high demand for these. Plans are in place to follow this with All That You Can’t Leave Behind this summer if sales are expected for the re-run of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Re-runs of Zooropa and Pop would follow down the road, likely this fall.

At the same time this new pressing of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is being released, Universal is also producing a new run of War on vinyl. This is a repressing of the 2008 version of the album. The release date for War is also expected to be March 31, 2017.

There is no tweaking being done with the mastering of these albums, and they are being pressed using the most current vinyl masters for each album. Pressing is being carried out at a production plant in the Czech Republic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:54:40 PM by AchtungPop »