Author Topic: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees  (Read 27111 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Personally, I never give up a chance to see U2 in a stadium. Say what you will about smaller, more "intimate" settings but U2 is meant to be seen and heard in a stadium along with 50,000+ fans.

More an arena guy myself, but I really disagree with the above comment that U2 will end up playing smaller rooms. I think when that day comes, they are all out the door. I can't see them going out playing amphitheaters and large theaters the way REM did. And honestly, I don't see that happening unless they started just touring CONSTANTLY the way Springsteen has done the last decade or so. U2's status as a legendary live act will allow them to play arenas at will until the retire, IMO. If something changes that, you aren't seeing them in a shed or a theater. It isn't in their DNA.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
Personally, I never give up a chance to see U2 in a stadium. Say what you will about smaller, more "intimate" settings but U2 is meant to be seen and heard in a stadium along with 50,000+ fans.

More an arena guy myself, but I really disagree with the above comment that U2 will end up playing smaller rooms. I think when that day comes, they are all out the door. I can't see them going out playing amphitheaters and large theaters the way REM did. And honestly, I don't see that happening unless they started just touring CONSTANTLY the way Springsteen has done the last decade or so. U2's status as a legendary live act will allow them to play arenas at will until the retire, IMO. If something changes that, you aren't seeing them in a shed or a theater. It isn't in their DNA.
I  too prefer U2 in an arena setting Stadiums are too huge you really have to be up close in arenas everyone has a good view and the sound is better.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »

I  too prefer U2 in an arena setting Stadiums are too huge you really have to be up close in arenas everyone has a good view and the sound is better.
Agree 100 percent. The sound is almost always better in arenas, with one exception I know of personally: the Philips Arena in Atlanta. I have never seen U2 there, but I have seen other shows there, and the sound was better in the late Georgia Dome than it was in that arena.

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
All of this over a little quickie stadium run to celebrate the anniversary of an album before a new release and arena tour.

I think a little more critical thinking is called for here. I, for one, didn't believe for a second that the band felt this artistic compulsion to connect the thematic and political dots between Reagan/Thatcher and Trump and therefore launched this tour. Like many of us (and many journalists), I felt like it was a safe place for U2 to go as an excuse to delay their new album even further. And it appears we were right, if these South America rumors prove true.

As I said somewhere else, if they use this spotlight to springboard straight to a new album and tour, then good on 'em, it was smart. But I have my doubts.

Actually friend, you are OVER-thinking this whole thing, and you are being negative for no reason. You are free to think and believe whatever you choose, but doesn't make it the gospel truth.

We don't know the exact motivation for delaying SOE and doing this tour now. We have what U2 have told us, and we have the obvious other reasons we can all come up with. Minus a smoking gun to prove otherwise, I am content to believe the band. They aren't perfect, but over a 40-year period, they've got a pretty good amount of goodwill built up with me.

Secondly, I don't see any logic in delaying the album for financial reasons, as some have hinted. What, people weren't going to buy just as many seats to see part 2 of I+E so U2 needed a gimmick to put their kids through school? I am sorry to be a wise-guy, but you have to accept criticism of your explanation just as you dish it out for others. Album sales are down for U2, legacy acts and acts of all stripes industry wide. There's no doubt about that. The money is in the touring, but U2 would have made just as much -- if not more -- with a full-on I+E Tour.

The easiest explanation is usually the right one. In recent years, really going back to HTDAAB, U2 have seemed really unsure of themselves when it comes to releasing new albums, so there's nothing new here. They started all over with Atomic Bomb. No Line was delayed the track listing was altered at the last minute. SOI took four years. We still don't have SOA might not ever. Why would SOE be any different? They are slow. They are getting slower as they get older. There's no mystery or magic here.

My point is, this isn't unusual, uncommon or frankly unexpected in any way. For whatever reason, U2 aren't ready to release SOE, so in the interim, it was sit out 2017 or do a quick run with TJT. And if ending shows with a new song and the (apparent) new album cover on the screen doesn't convince you that SOE is in fact coming within months of this tour ending this year -- after it is extended to South American for all of one month if rumors are true -- you simply are being pessimistic for pessimism's sake, and there's no convincing you otherwise. 

The bottom line is, we are still going to get SOE, and we are still going to get I+E Part 2. Soon. The only surprise is, a 6-month stadium run in the meantime.

I am just not seeing the problem. SOE was always going to be an end-of-year release. Edge told us late last year it wasn't quite ready yet. Would your rather be twiddling your thumbs waiting some more, or go see the best rock band ever this summer in the interim?

Hmm.

U2 saw a quick and easy way to plump up the profile with a smallish number of high profile stadium gigs and a Money-For-Old-Rope box set.

They seem to spend more time overthinking every last millisecond of every song : their work is felt, not thought. They should do more of that, and less navel gazing.

If SOE doesn't come out this winter, they will have utterly dropped the ball here in terms of profile. They have promised us SOE 'soon', and it's been three years. In no world is three years 'soon'. Any claim that Trump and Brexit mean they now have to rewrite the album is mere excuses : a great album can and should exist outside political events.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

Completely disagree with this, sorry.

I definitely think their music is written for the masses, for sure.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
The bottom line is, we are still going to get SOE, and we are still going to get I+E Part 2. Soon. The only surprise is, a 6-month stadium run in the meantime.

It must be nice to know that this is "the bottom line." Could you pass along official links with those dates for us?

;)

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
All of this over a little quickie stadium run to celebrate the anniversary of an album before a new release and arena tour.

I think a little more critical thinking is called for here. I, for one, didn't believe for a second that the band felt this artistic compulsion to connect the thematic and political dots between Reagan/Thatcher and Trump and therefore launched this tour. Like many of us (and many journalists), I felt like it was a safe place for U2 to go as an excuse to delay their new album even further. And it appears we were right, if these South America rumors prove true.

As I said somewhere else, if they use this spotlight to springboard straight to a new album and tour, then good on 'em, it was smart. But I have my doubts.

Actually friend, you are OVER-thinking this whole thing, and you are being negative for no reason. You are free to think and believe whatever you choose, but doesn't make it the gospel truth.

We don't know the exact motivation for delaying SOE and doing this tour now. We have what U2 have told us, and we have the obvious other reasons we can all come up with. Minus a smoking gun to prove otherwise, I am content to believe the band. They aren't perfect, but over a 40-year period, they've got a pretty good amount of goodwill built up with me.

Secondly, I don't see any logic in delaying the album for financial reasons, as some have hinted. What, people weren't going to buy just as many seats to see part 2 of I+E so U2 needed a gimmick to put their kids through school? I am sorry to be a wise-guy, but you have to accept criticism of your explanation just as you dish it out for others. Album sales are down for U2, legacy acts and acts of all stripes industry wide. There's no doubt about that. The money is in the touring, but U2 would have made just as much -- if not more -- with a full-on I+E Tour.

The easiest explanation is usually the right one. In recent years, really going back to HTDAAB, U2 have seemed really unsure of themselves when it comes to releasing new albums, so there's nothing new here. They started all over with Atomic Bomb. No Line was delayed the track listing was altered at the last minute. SOI took four years. We still don't have SOA might not ever. Why would SOE be any different? They are slow. They are getting slower as they get older. There's no mystery or magic here.

My point is, this isn't unusual, uncommon or frankly unexpected in any way. For whatever reason, U2 aren't ready to release SOE, so in the interim, it was sit out 2017 or do a quick run with TJT. And if ending shows with a new song and the (apparent) new album cover on the screen doesn't convince you that SOE is in fact coming within months of this tour ending this year -- after it is extended to South American for all of one month if rumors are true -- you simply are being pessimistic for pessimism's sake, and there's no convincing you otherwise. 

I am just not seeing the problem. SOE was always going to be an end-of-year release. Edge told us late last year it wasn't quite ready yet. Would your rather be twiddling your thumbs waiting some more, or go see the best rock band ever this summer in the interim?

Hmm.

U2 saw a quick and easy way to plump up the profile with a smallish number of high profile stadium gigs and a Money-For-Old-Rope box set.

They seem to spend more time overthinking every last millisecond of every song : their work is felt, not thought. They should do more of that, and less navel gazing.

If SOE doesn't come out this winter, they will have utterly dropped the ball here in terms of profile. They have promised us SOE 'soon', and it's been three years. In no world is three years 'soon'. Any claim that Trump and Brexit mean they now have to rewrite the album is mere excuses : a great album can and should exist outside political events.

Yeah, I think this is more or less correct.  I do agree with the poster who said he had his doubts about them being artistically motivated to tour JT b/c of Trump/Brexit.  I get that there are some connections one can make, but I have a hard time seeing that as much more than an after-the-fact justification to make it seem less nostalgic and more relevant than many would otherwise assess it as - which is a shame, b/c I don't think they need to justify it.  Nostalgia can in fact be overdone, and I appreciate they don't want to devolve into unbridled nostalgia at the expense of forward movement, but I think they can walk and chew gum at the same time and don't need to apologize or justify themselves.  The Joshua Tree was a landmark work and this celebration of it is plenty worthy.  For those of us who weren't quite of concert going age - or for whatever reason missed the '87 JT Tour, we're like giddy children at Christmas. 

But yeah I agree, this is nothing so much contrived as it is an aligning of the stars (and the schedule).  For various reasons SOE wasn't going to be ready for early or mid-2017 - the JT happens to be 30 years old, and keeping a high profile leading into the release of SOE won't hurt either - and for a band that's aiming to keep a profile in today's balkanized and millennial-driven music market, there's no shame in thinking out a timing strategy for marketing.  But I don't think a stoic, heartless, dollar-grab as the sole or even primary driving factor fits in with what we know about U2 or the way they do things. 

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
Could it be that the band are contractually tied into to two more tours with Live Nation?
Could it be that U2 only want to make one final studio Album?
Could it be that TJT30 allows SOE to be their farewell tour?

Tune in next week to find out.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
Yeah, I think this is more or less correct.  I do agree with the poster who said he had his doubts about them being artistically motivated to tour JT b/c of Trump/Brexit.  I get that there are some connections one can make, but I have a hard time seeing that as much more than an after-the-fact justification to make it seem less nostalgic and more relevant than many would otherwise assess it as - which is a shame, b/c I don't think they need to justify it.  Nostalgia can in fact be overdone, and I appreciate they don't want to devolve into unbridled nostalgia at the expense of forward movement, but I think they can walk and chew gum at the same time and don't need to apologize or justify themselves.  The Joshua Tree was a landmark work and this celebration of it is plenty worthy.  For those of us who weren't quite of concert going age - or for whatever reason missed the '87 JT Tour, we're like giddy children at Christmas. 

But yeah I agree, this is nothing so much contrived as it is an aligning of the stars (and the schedule).  For various reasons SOE wasn't going to be ready for early or mid-2017 - the JT happens to be 30 years old, and keeping a high profile leading into the release of SOE won't hurt either - and for a band that's aiming to keep a profile in today's balkanized and millennial-driven music market, there's no shame in thinking out a timing strategy for marketing.  But I don't think a stoic, heartless, dollar-grab as the sole or even primary driving factor fits in with what we know about U2 or the way they do things.

I agree. It is what it is and if SOE isn't ready, then we'd be complaining about not having else going on this year either. I suspect the Trump thing is probably a bit of a story as well to give an excuse to delaying things a bit longer, but it hasn't even been three calendar years since SOI came out. After that wait, I'm willing to be a bit more patient here. Plus, with a band that gets interviewed or is on high a public profile as this one, you have to say something other than "It's ready when it's ready" or "Well, we're still working on whatever and think the stuff so far isn't up to par." That just doesn't happen and probably shouldn't, even when they (i.e., Bono) gets eviscerated on here for saying Edge is "on fire" or brings Trump up.

Offline AllThoseThingsILove

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "as a ninja hits the ground..." ;)
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
... it sounds like Exile is elitist enough for the band and most of their fans too. I completely get that being a lifelong hardcore fan of U2 is a precious thing but it doesn't do anyone any good to be so possessive about it.

Let's not devolve into personal insults.

But yeah, I am an elitist of sorts. I think U2 is better than Coldplay, better than Katy Perry, and better than Fetty Wap. I think they are tarnishing their legacy by desperately pining to be popular. It's like they have PLEASE LIKE US painted across their chests, and it's kinda unseemly.

Like many of us, I have invested the majority of my life (not to mention plenty of money) into my U2 fandom. While I wouldn't say they owe me anything, I can still mourn when I see them collaborate with Wyclef Jean or Missy Elliot.

To anyone outside this forum I am a fierce U2 defender. But this should be a safe place to rant every now and then.

^^^ Last line. My life.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
....Missy Elliot? uh i think you mean Mary J. Blige....?

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2017, 02:42:06 AM »
U2 have collaborated with people they like for decades, from B. B. King and Dylan through Pavarotti and now to Kendrick.  He's a great artists they respect.  Why not collaborate?  Also nobody is saying they ruined that song.  In fact, it got them the respect of a lot of rap fans.

I agree on the main point, that they should be aiming for respect not popularity, but the Kendrick collab is exactly what they should be doing, making great music.  They're elder statesmen now, and that means they get to do for Kendrick what B. B. King did for for them. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »

It must be nice to know that this is "the bottom line." Could you pass along official links with those dates for us?

;)

Do you have the retirement press release link? Because it is one or the other; either this is going as planned, or U2 are calling it a career after this tour. My scenario is rooted in quotes from the band and past behavior. Yours is rooted in your own disappointment and paranoia.

And I am not meaning to be a jerk; I genuinely hate to see you worry about this needlessly. The album will be your hands this time next year, and a tour will either be underway or starting soon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:55:54 AM by Saint1322 »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
....Missy Elliot? uh i think you mean Mary J. Blige....?

Haha. Tomato / Po-tah-to

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »

;)

Do you have the retirement press release link? Because it is one or the other; either this is going as planned, or U2 are calling it a career after this tour. My scenario is rooted in quotes from the band and past behavior. Yours is rooted in your own disappointment and paranoia.

And I am not meaning to be a jerk; I genuinely hate to see you worry about this needlessly. The album will be your hands this time next year, and a tour will either be underway or starting soon.

Exile is our very own Chicken Licken when it comes to the possibility of an imminent SOE release   ;)