Author Topic: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees  (Read 3978 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
Re: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Kids" aren't exactly whining.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The reaction on Kendrick's Reddit (and on Twitter) has so far been overwhelmingly positive. I think some were expecting the song to be really terrible due to U2's involvement (U2 are thought of as an old, not so good band in many "kids" minds) and because it's actually a really solid track, they've sort of been blown away by it.

Now the U2 fans, on the other hand....might have a tougher time warming up to this song. A lot of this fanbase does not like rap. We tend to skew toward rock/alternative--you'll find a lot more U2 fans who also like bands like Radiohead than you will U2 fans who like Kanye, Kendrick, Drake etc.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
Exile, it's not 1997 any longer. Move on.

Ironic, as it seems to me that it's U2 who need to be reminded of what year we're in....

But you're a very knowledgeable guy on all things U2 right? This collaboration is a symptom of the bands journey down Relevance Street over the last 20yrs.

Being offended by this as yet unheard track after what has gone before its closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

For what is worth, I think that this move is a pretty bold one by their standards, despite what the output may be.
We consistently ask for a daring U2 who don't worry about the concensus on these forum pages, but then whine about what some unkown bunch of kids will think when they do something out of the ordinary.
Who'd want to be in a rock band!

My post is not the result of "being offended by this [Kendrick Lamar] track," it's about the trajectory the band has been on for years (meaning I agree with you that this is an ongoing problem).

And yeah, I do "consistently ask for a daring U2," but I don't consider it daring to pander to people or team up with whomever is the flavor of the month. What would be daring is making music that they like, and trust that those with sophisticated enough taste will like it too.

U2 should see themselves as 23 year Pappy Van Winkle, but instead they act like Amstel Lite.

I agree mostly, but the band's best work comes when they release their imagined shackles when releasing a track that isn't a "U2" release.

Its all about the quality of the music, regardless of how popular the collaborator may be. I'm not holding out much hope that the track will be career defining, but this is a very welcome sideways step from the predictable albums and re-revisiting of past songs/albums that seem to be the norm.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »
I just want to be excited and surprised by U2 and their music again. SOI is one of my least favourite albums of theirs, I find it so bland, so uninspiring, so dull. Plus, I CANNOT STAND 99% of rap, so I very much doubt I'm going to enjoy the new collaboration with this Kendrick guy. Honestly, collaborating with a rapper is the most predictable, yawn-worthy things artists can do, imo, and I'm disappointed that U2 head down this acutely well-worn route. I'm not keen on long established acts doing collaborations with 'young, trendy' artists to try and be relevant but I'm not completely against it if it produces something interesting and exciting. I wouldn't mind them doing some stuff with Lorde or Charli XCX, for example. They're both very talented young singer/songwriters.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
"Kids" aren't exactly whining.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The reaction on Kendrick's Reddit (and on Twitter) has so far been overwhelmingly positive. I think some were expecting the song to be really terrible due to U2's involvement (U2 are thought of as an old, not so good band in many "kids" minds) and because it's actually a really solid track, they've sort of been blown away by it.

Now the U2 fans, on the other hand....might have a tougher time warming up to this song. A lot of this fanbase does not like rap. We tend to skew toward rock/alternative--you'll find a lot more U2 fans who also like bands like Radiohead than you will U2 fans who like Kanye, Kendrick, Drake etc.

All the comments are proof that u2 isn't popular with the younger crowd though. They're are tweets of shock

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Please, U2, Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
You're exactly right, Exile. U2 is a 40+ year-old band begging for relevance and not acting their age at all. Songs like Song For Someone are pathetic and sad attempts at hits. Songs that sound immature and childish. Why is that? Because that is the demographic that U2 are trying desperately trying to reach out to-- children. Why they won't wisen up and accept that chart success is pretty much impossible to reach at this point is beyond me.

Look at Radiohead, for example. Mature group that makes music for themselves and their fans. They're smart enough to realize that they won't ever be as popular as they were 15+ years ago and don't even bother themselves with the charts anymore. You can't force yourself to make a certain genre of music and expect success. It's okay to experiment with other genres, like U2 did with club/dance in the 90s, for example, but working strictly from a formula is not going to result in genuine artistic expression. That's why many fans have issue with U2's recent attempts at pop music with tracks like Crazy Tonight, etc... none of it sounds genuine or "real" anymore.

I'm not trying to say that U2 is a band of dumb people. Bono is a very smart man. Edge is a very smart man. Adam and Larry are very smart men. It's time that U2 grew up and embraced this opportunity in life to create music for fun and for themselves. What other bands have existed for such a long time and with the same lineup? Very few of them do stick together, and even fewer continue to make records... even if U2 only make them bidecenially (if that's even a word). Bono and Co. are finically set for life and have no other reasons to create music other than for themselves, fans, and their legacy. In the autumn of their careers, and potentially their lives, why don't they just loosen up and record music for the fun of it? Do you think that Larry started this group with the goal in mind to appease millions of young teenagers? Absolutely not. U2 started this band with the goal in mind to be different and unique. Why did this attitude towards music change so suddenly?

There is nothing genuine to The Best Thing. Nothing feels truly heartfelt about Every Breaking Wave. Even the "emotion-driven" Iris sounds watered-down and weak due to overproduction and overpolish... but that's a different conservation. All of this ties together, doesn't it?

I was following what you were saying until you mentioned every breaking wave. Unless you saw it last tour in person, I wouldn't expect you to have a different opinion. Live on piano is very raw and emotional. And the chorus actually catches on

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Please, U2, Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »
You're exactly right, Exile. U2 is a 40+ year-old band begging for relevance and not acting their age at all. Songs like Song For Someone are pathetic and sad attempts at hits. Songs that sound immature and childish. Why is that? Because that is the demographic that U2 are trying desperately trying to reach out to-- children. Why they won't wisen up and accept that chart success is pretty much impossible to reach at this point is beyond me.

Look at Radiohead, for example. Mature group that makes music for themselves and their fans. They're smart enough to realize that they won't ever be as popular as they were 15+ years ago and don't even bother themselves with the charts anymore. You can't force yourself to make a certain genre of music and expect success. It's okay to experiment with other genres, like U2 did with club/dance in the 90s, for example, but working strictly from a formula is not going to result in genuine artistic expression. That's why many fans have issue with U2's recent attempts at pop music with tracks like Crazy Tonight, etc... none of it sounds genuine or "real" anymore.

I'm not trying to say that U2 is a band of dumb people. Bono is a very smart man. Edge is a very smart man. Adam and Larry are very smart men. It's time that U2 grew up and embraced this opportunity in life to create music for fun and for themselves. What other bands have existed for such a long time and with the same lineup? Very few of them do stick together, and even fewer continue to make records... even if U2 only make them bidecenially (if that's even a word). Bono and Co. are finically set for life and have no other reasons to create music other than for themselves, fans, and their legacy. In the autumn of their careers, and potentially their lives, why don't they just loosen up and record music for the fun of it? Do you think that Larry started this group with the goal in mind to appease millions of young teenagers? Absolutely not. U2 started this band with the goal in mind to be different and unique. Why did this attitude towards music change so suddenly?

There is nothing genuine to The Best Thing. Nothing feels truly heartfelt about Every Breaking Wave. Even the "emotion-driven" Iris sounds watered-down and weak due to overproduction and overpolish... but that's a different conservation. All of this ties together, doesn't it?

I was following what you were saying until you mentioned every breaking wave. Unless you saw it last tour in person, I wouldn't expect you to have a different opinion. Live on piano is very raw and emotional. And the chorus actually catches on
Lyrically, I find the song largely unoffensive... and although I do find the live arrangement to be more organic than the unbearable album version, it still doesn't do much for me.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 01:31:47 AM »
The Kendrick Lamar song, if the complainers actually listened to it, is ... good. Bono goes into his lower register, nice chorus and a sweet beat from Larry.

It's, you know, OK for U2 to work with people outside of pop and rock.

I always disliked the JT30 tour nostalgia, but if the rumours about Live Nation twisting their arm into doing this are true so be it.

Bring on SOE, I say.

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:57 AM »

All the comments are proof that u2 isn't popular with the younger crowd though. They're are tweets of shock

Who cares, they started back in 1979 and have nothing to prove any more. How many acts active 1979-today could do a good feature on a track by an artist from a different genre? I feel like the only other one died early last year.

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 02:33:59 AM »
It's a non-discussion. U2 are artists and have the freedom to do whatever they want. Up to the listener to like it or not.

Silly to state that they are on their knees. To what or whom actually? And who is to judge?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
It's a non-discussion. U2 are artists and have the freedom to do whatever they want. Up to the listener to like it or not.

Silly to state that they are on their knees. To what or whom actually? And who is to judge?

It's a U2 message board. We are allowed to express our opinions. I pretty much agree with everything Exile said.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
I'd like to add that outside of the U2 fan community (I've seen a lot of "disgusting" and "obscene" and "disappointing" descriptors from within it), music fans, in general, seem very supportive of the band today.  I've seen more than a few comments out there saying, "oh yeah, U2 used to be cool -- they wrote stuff like 'Sunday Bloody Sunday,' and 'Bullet the Blue Sky,' -- I forgot U2 used to do stuff like that." 

I think for the first time in the "history of the internet" (that I remember, anyway), the overwhelming consensus is that U2, right now, are viewed as being "cool."  Granted, this may not mean much to you and me, since we're big U2 supporters, anyway, and probably don't care about that sort of stuff...  But you know it means an awful lot to U2...

My hope is that they ride this tide of public good-will through to the end of this nostalgia tour, and then strike while the iron is hot with a hard-hitting, edgy new album this fall.  It won't last forever.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »

Who cares, they started back in 1979 and have nothing to prove any more. How many acts active 1979-today could do a good feature on a track by an artist from a different genre? I feel like the only other one died early last year.
Better yet, it was 1976.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
I just want to be excited and surprised by U2 and their music again. SOI is one of my least favourite albums of theirs, I find it so bland, so uninspiring, so dull. Plus, I CANNOT STAND 99% of rap, so I very much doubt I'm going to enjoy the new collaboration with this Kendrick guy. Honestly, collaborating with a rapper is the most predictable, yawn-worthy things artists can do, imo, and I'm disappointed that U2 head down this acutely well-worn route. I'm not keen on long established acts doing collaborations with 'young, trendy' artists to try and be relevant but I'm not completely against it if it produces something interesting and exciting. I wouldn't mind them doing some stuff with Lorde or Charli XCX, for example. They're both very talented young singer/songwriters.

Well having heard the track now, I must say it is different than I expected (which was that Bono would be "dueting" with Kendrick and rapping along with him which, thank God, he is not). It's more of an interlude or something, a break from the rap song during which a piano ballad is played.

It could've been much, much worse.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

If you read what I have written you would find your answer. You don't have to agree, of course (this is a forum), but to simply dismiss the idea as "silly" while offering zero actual rebuttal is kind of a waste of everyone's time.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »

Well having heard the track now, I must say it is different than I expected (which was that Bono would be "dueting" with Kendrick and rapping along with him which, thank God, he is not). It's more of an interlude or something, a break from the rap song during which a piano ballad is played.

It could've been much, much worse.

Agreed.  Don't like it when you feel worried, because then I worry too, baby.  It seems we're cut from a similar U2 cloth-- in our early 40s, big fans in the 80s, minds blown with Achtung Baby, etc.  The ideal age and times of fandom to be U2 fans, in my opinion.