Author Topic: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees  (Read 27148 times)

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
Re: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How does the release of multiple versions of The Best Thing reflect the band's quest for relevancy?  Cover enough different types of music to reach a wider audience (adult rock, pop kids, dance crowd, folk/acoustic fans)?

Or is it just the digital version of an EP?  One of my favorite singles/EPs was Discotheque with its multiple dance remixes and stripped down Holy Joe.  Some of those remixes were so different, i.e. vocals of the Howie B. mix, that I had the impression at the time that maybe they'd been thinking of releasing those versions before settling on the album version.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with hard copies (records, cassettes, CDs), but I have a hard time viewing the multiple releases as an EP and wonder if they're trying to hit different types of Spotify playlist categories (or other streaming and radio categories). 

Or is it as simple as Edge told Rolling Stone, they weren't sure about the mix and went with the one they did at the last minute...  Why then the flurry of versions after?

It would be kind of cool if the band declared it a conscious intent at an experiment or even if they said they wanted to reach different audiences, but it just looks like they weren't fully sure.

This isn't a new concept for the band, the Fly Video has The Lounge Fly mix intro but the most obvious case is NLOTH which had two versions on the same album in some countries.

Apart from the blatant dance mixes, I find it difficult to like both (or more) versions of the same song, especially when they go acoustic. Is almost as if they're saying that we're not sure whether Adam and Larry actually add anything to the song.

Well, The Fly, Alex Descends, and Fly Lounge Remix were on a physical CD single release, and Lounge was kind of a dance remix.  With the albums No Line, Songs Of Innocence, and now Songs Of Experience they move into digital-only releases that aren't even presented as digital singles, EPs, or collections.  I've yet to leave memories of how things used to be behind, so this four version thing feels like something new and kind of weird for them, though not for these digital times.

I mean, if he wanted to, Edge could start a Bandcamp page and post a new mix every night for a year...

Lounge Fly is a different recording in many places (different vocals, phrasing, and lyrics) as well as extra and alternate guitar lines from memory.

Offline Rising Sun

• Refugee
« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »
I think this was my favorite discussion in my time on the @U2 forum, as it really delved nicely into the evolution of the band from where they came from to where they're headed now.  Too bad we won't get to discuss the new album...

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #677 on: December 02, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
I think this was my favorite discussion in my time on the @U2 forum, as it really delved nicely into the evolution of the band from where they came from to where they're headed now.  Too bad we won't get to discuss the new album...

Well, now we do.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #678 on: December 02, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
Well, to me, with this album ....U2 are up off their knees and flying to the stratosphere!

Cheers,

J

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
Yep, they are up alright.