Author Topic: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees  (Read 27227 times)

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
Re: U2, Please: Get Up Off Your Knees
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The original post seems to believe the motivation for being on DAMN was to reach a youthful audience. Truth is we know nothing about how it came about or the motivation in doing so.

I'm pretty tired of all the "U2 should do this or that" discussions.  I should do a lot of things too...but I don't. They are what they are, take it or leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.  Can't believe this little comment led to a lengthy essay and it being called a "dickish" move.  I guess some posters are above reproach. The KL collaboration wasn't even out when the op was posted.  Most reactions I've seen to XXX have been positive.  There was a tone of condescension and that was what I was reacting to.

Actually, the KL collaboration was out when the op was posted.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
The original post seems to believe the motivation for being on DAMN was to reach a youthful audience. Truth is we know nothing about how it came about or the motivation in doing so.

I'm pretty tired of all the "U2 should do this or that" discussions.  I should do a lot of things too...but I don't. They are what they are, take it or leave it.

Wow.  Can't believe this little comment led to a lengthy essay and it being called a "dickish" move.  I guess some posters are above reproach. The KL collaboration wasn't even out when the op was posted.  Most reactions I've seen to XXX have been positive.  There was a tone of condescension and that was what I was reacting to.

The output of the collaboration wasn't the focus of the OP when this thread was posted, more the thought process behind it and the perceived perception. 

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »

Post 4/13
Release Date 4/14

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

Post 4/13
Release Date 4/14

Just trust me. The album was leaked one day before the release date and went viral in the internet (and here).

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »

The output of the collaboration wasn't the focus of the OP when this thread was posted, more the thought process behind it and the perceived perception.

Yes.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »

Post 4/13
Release Date 4/14

Just trust me. The album was leaked one day before the release date and went viral in the internet (and here).

Disagree.  I'm a Kendrick Lamar fan.  It didn't leak until five hours before it was released.  Other than Labron James playing short snippets of five songs 10 hours before it was released on Instgram, or whatever.  I say this with confidence.  It definitely did not leak a day early.

At day 13, people were already talking about the song here, as you can see: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But maybe this topic was created a few hours earlier.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »

Post 4/13
Release Date 4/14

Disagree.  I'm a Kendrick Lamar fan.  It didn't leak until five hours before it was released.  Other than Labron James playing short snippets of five songs 10 hours before it was released on Instgram, or whatever.  I say this with confidence.  It definitely did not leak a day early.

At day 13, people were already talking about the song here, as you can see: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But maybe this topic was created a few hours earlier.

Sorry Lucas.homem.  Looking at your post again-- I think we're both on the same page.  You are correct-- it was leaked on the 13th-- just 6 hours early.  And not during the OP.  We're both correct.  It's all good.

Offline Rising Sun

• Refugee
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »
I just want to be excited and surprised by U2 and their music again. SOI is one of my least favourite albums of theirs, I find it so bland, so uninspiring, so dull. Plus, I CANNOT STAND 99% of rap, so I very much doubt I'm going to enjoy the new collaboration with this Kendrick guy. Honestly, collaborating with a rapper is the most predictable, yawn-worthy things artists can do, imo, and I'm disappointed that U2 head down this acutely well-worn route. I'm not keen on long established acts doing collaborations with 'young, trendy' artists to try and be relevant but I'm not completely against it if it produces something interesting and exciting. I wouldn't mind them doing some stuff with Lorde or Charli XCX, for example. They're both very talented young singer/songwriters.

Well having heard the track now, I must say it is different than I expected (which was that Bono would be "dueting" with Kendrick and rapping along with him which, thank God, he is not). It's more of an interlude or something, a break from the rap song during which a piano ballad is played.

It could've been much, much worse.

"What did he know and when did he know it?"

OP didn't listen to the Kendrick track until the 14th, the day after he posted his rant, FYI, which was really less about the song, anyway, and more about his perception of the state of U2 as an artistic entity.

I'd be curious to know if the rant would have been any different, even slightly, had he heard the track and read about its positive response on the net...

As an older U2 fan, I'm not opposed to the younger generations discovering their work through such collaborations, if that happens.  I agree with OP's nostalgia for a return to U2's experimentalism, but that might not happen.

On the other hand, Achtung Baby and Zooropa and Passengers came out of U2's left field, so I'm also open to the idea of them surprising us again someday.

And if nothing else, the Kendrick track WAS a surprise.

I'm a fan since 1980.  After spending the last few years of my U2 fandom focusing on what I wish they would do, I'm coming around to just enjoying the fact that they're still going at it 37 years later for us to think and talk about.

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
VERY WELL PUT, The Exile . . .
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
I will qualify it in this way:  I don't mind U2 yearning and seeking to be relevant, and even to be liked by younger generations if they so choose to pursue that.  BUT, they need to first be okay with the possibility of that not happening, so that when they DO seek relevance and popularity amongst that crowd, they will do it the right way, which is to put their best stuff out there and market/distribute/publicize it accordingly, and then let the chips fall where they may, rather than trying to ingratiate themselves with popular acts and obtain "relevance by association."   That approach won't work anyway.

I've sort of always admired that U2 won't exactly "give up" on getting younger fans, but I wish they'd go about it differently sometimes -- just accept the possibility of failure regarding relevance, prioritize being GOOD, tasteful, and redeeming in all their work, placing relevance behind those elements whilst not abandoning it entirely.  In cases like Lamar, they are clearly putting relevance above the art itself.   I'm a huge, huge, massive U2 fan, and don't give two craps about that crappy Kendrick Lamar track- wish U2 hadn't stooped to it, and I'll never listen to it again.  It doesn't make me any less of a fan of U2, but I doubt there are any rap enthusiasts that cut their teeth on "bit--es and h-s" that are now out there listening to The Unforgettable Fire or Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.   Not happening!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »
I can't say I care one way or the other about the KL collaboration, but that album is already critically acclaimed more than U2 has been in well over 10 years, and maybe more like 20.  If they acquit themselves on something like that, more power to them.  I mean, if it's a choice between them collaborating with KL on a critically-acclaimed track I may never hear, and collaborating with the Black Eyed Peas on drivel for the masses, I'll take the former any day of the week.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
I'd be curious to know if the rant would have been any different, even slightly, had he heard the track and read about its positive response on the net...

Well like I said, the "rant" wasn't about the KL collab per se, and more about what it indicates for U2 regarding the relationship between their artistic vs. commercial interests.

As I mentioned, I don't mind the song since it's basically a cool jazzy interlude in an otherwise rap song. But I stand by my overall complaint, which is that U2 seem to let commercial concerns drive artistic ones (and it doesn't matter to me if someone points out that they've been doing this for however long, I still don't like it).

More Being Born and SLABT, and less Crazy Tonight and SFS, is what I'm saying.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: VERY WELL PUT, The Exile . . .
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
... when they DO seek relevance and popularity amongst that crowd, they will do it the right way....

Yes. I think it was McG who said, way back during the UF documentary, that the band is not averse to hit singles provided they pursue it in the right way. Ironically, TUF is the album that (1) is among their very best, artistically speaking, and (2) produced the fewest hit singles.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

Well like I said, the "rant" wasn't about the KL collab per se, and more about what it indicates for U2 regarding the relationship between their artistic vs. commercial interests.

As I mentioned, I don't mind the song since it's basically a cool jazzy interlude in an otherwise rap song. But I stand by my overall complaint, which is that U2 seem to let commercial concerns drive artistic ones (and it doesn't matter to me if someone points out that they've been doing this for however long, I still don't like it).

More Being Born and SLABT, and less Crazy Tonight and SFS, is what I'm saying.

I don't disagree with your appraisal of SLABT vs. Crazy Tonight.  But I don't know that the KL collaboration indicates a commercially-driven decision by the band.  I mean, someone could maybe have said the same thing about them collaborating with Robbie Robertson in 1987.  They've done some occasional side work, some of which is decent, some less so.  (The "New Day" thing being maybe the worst thing any of them have been involved in.)  It's something that was probably a treat for them to get to work on, and not exactly an "of COURSE they're doing that" kind of thing.  So I guess I mostly either don't particularly care, or are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I also haven't even heard it, FWIW.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
u2 aren't daft they know exactly who Lamar is and how big he is....they knew that working with him would attract a lot of 'column inches' and a lot of social media comments.

Whether they were invited or whether they were asked makes no difference - they knew that this would catapult them right into the middle of the public eye and get tongues wagging - so they were always going to say yes to any invitation weren't they....must have thought 'that is dead handy'....

I suppose there is nothing 'wrong' with that as such, they are of course free to do what they want - but not everybody has to like the approach and it of course makes for an interesting conversation piece.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:24:33 PM by an tha »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
Yesterday I had an episode that really drove the point home that U2 is not nearly as relevant as I remembered.  I called my mortgage servicer to set up an online account and the nice, young female customer service representative wanted me to come up with some security questions.  She was going through the list of security questions and I got this hilarious exchange:

Her: "How about 'what is your favorite band or musician'"?
Me: "ooh, ooh...U2".
Her: "Youtube?"
Me: "no...U2".
Her: "Oh...how do you spell it?"
Me: "uh...U and the number 2".
Her: "hm...interesting...well, not enough characters".
Me (in my head): Clearly you don't use Apple products.

Then I remembered this rep is probably 20 years old...and was probably like 7 years old when Bomb came out...and really that's probably the last time they had a lot of exposure outside of the SOI release furor (which was probably contained to online bloggers and the like)....I don't know what made me thought of this thread but clearly at this point U2 should just go and do whatever the hell they want...not a ton of people are paying attention.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:49:18 PM by aviastar »