Author Topic: "XXX" Song by Kendrick Lamar featuring U2  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
"XXX" Song by Kendrick Lamar featuring U2
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
Since we have a thread that's a poll on thoughts of the collaboration before we heard it, and another thread with the initial news when it broke, I thought I'd start a thread about the song itself now that we've heard it. 

After a few listens, I like the song.  If Adam does the bass the whole way through, he's the star of the song, from the U2 corner.  I have the hunch that Bono wrote the Kendrick raps in between Bono's sung parts near the end, because it sounds like the way Bono "raps" in snippets of songs live (i.e. particularly the end of "Moment of Surrender" live).

From a few brief listens to the whole album, I definitely prefer "DNA" and probably "HUMBLE," and possibly "BLOOD," because it's got a cool Al Green vibe to it.  But I like this one too.  I think it was brave.  It'd be interesting to hear if they brought their services to Kendrick, or Kendrick asked them for their services.

I liked Kendrick Lamar going in, as my son introduced his music to me a year or two ago.  I prefer good kid, m.A.A.d. city over To Pimp a Butterfly (like them both, though), and this album sounds very good so far too.  My son initially started laughing during the parts of "XXX" where Bono starts singing, because he thinks it doesn't belong.  He always busts my chops about my love for U2.  But after a couple listens, it sounds more at home, and transitions such as that is how Kendrick do.  But that bass line...  Please tell me Adam is doing that because it is such a good groove, and tell him to do it for an entire album.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: "XXX" Song by Kendrick Lamar featuring U2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:01 PM »
Wow. I'm pleasantly surprised with this... Bono's short lyric is written a bit differently from most U2 songs and his delivery is natural and not forced. Incredible baseline to complement. Reminds me of Never Let Me Go...

Not sure if it's allowed around here, but I'll take my chances. Here's a link that will undoubtably be taken down in the hours to come: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
I'd call it a really good track, myself. Solid, interesting beat, strong lyrical theme and the funky part at the end is quite brilliant. Bono's amazing as he is most times. Definitely feels like a track I could add to my rotation, which I can't really say of the rest of the album (not a fan of hip-hop).

The production value across the album is great. Respect to the artist, this is a strong strong album.

From reading some forums, seems the U2 feature is generally appreciated too which is pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:52:19 PM by wraitii »

Online JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:15 PM »
I think it's a bit of a releave. U2 is not
   - Embarrassing them selves
   - Trying to be relevant again
   - Ruining his album

I'm happy their adding is not too big. They're very modest in this, and that's a good thing 😊. (Maybe even too modest)

Still not a fan of rap or something like that, so not going to listen to it frequently. But love the result the way it is.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
Not a fan of rap, and not a fan of that song. Now excuse me while I go put Hawkmoon on and turn it up real loud and try to forget this Kenny/U2 thing

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:28:34 AM »
I am really digging this track. It gets better after each listen. Good pairing with Kendrick and U2.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:32:52 AM »
It's not really my bag, but that's not the point. U2 have stepped outside their comfort zone and thats decent enough.

I'm wouldn't be suprised if Adam is responsible for the sole delivery of the bass, he's probably the most capable of genre hopping and laying down some decent rhythm.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:00:08 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »
Are the police sirens from desire Hollywood remix?

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • I like U2, Coldplay, anime, vid games, & baseball.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
I like it. I was sort of unsure as to how U2 would fit in, but I think Bono's voice works perfectly for the song.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Online JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:21 AM »
But the big question is: how much of the song is the work of U2? Not hearing much guitar or something. (even the song FEAR. has more guitar)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »
I like that U2 have surprised people today. That's great news in itself. Understated and not needing to rely on the instrument that U2 are best known for. I'm enjoying this contribution even if the rap stuff still leaves me a bit cold.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But the big question is: how much of the song is the work of U2? Not hearing much guitar or something. (even the song FEAR. has more guitar)

Is it really appropriate to call it featuring u2. The way it's being used seems more like a sample to me. Especially since bonos lines don't change. There's no guitar so I wonder if Edge did any key work. Probably just had a say in the composition if anything. Or he wrote Adams bass part... again lol

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

Is it really appropriate to call it featuring u2. The way it's being used seems more like a sample to me. Especially since bonos lines don't change. There's no guitar so I wonder if Edge did any key work. Probably just had a say in the composition if anything. Or he wrote Adams bass part... again lol

I wonder if The Edge is playing the piano and some of the keyboards.  I wonder if Adam's doing most of the bass work, starting around the 1:20 mark (I hope so, and if so, he's the real champion here).  I think Larry's beats are heavily processed, but they're there most of the time, especially at the end.  The percussion sounds different on this song, compared to others on the album. 

I also have a hunch that Bono wrote most of Lendrick's lyrics starting at "Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph...." all the way through to the rest of the song.  The words sound like Bono, and the delivery is similar to how Bono "raps."  Maybe it's Bono writing in character again.  When Bono writes in character, he can get away with saying things he couldn't normally say.  This time, he's writing in character as Kendrick Lamar. 

This is all just a hunch.  If it was Bono only singing a couple lines at the end and that's U2's contribution, it would be "featuring Bono."  And I'm not sure the minimal amount he's singing would constitute a "featuring" credit.  It'd probably be listed as "additional vocals by Bono."

It'll be interesting to hear about how all of this transpired. 

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »

I wonder if The Edge is playing the piano and some of the keyboards.  I wonder if Adam's doing most of the bass work, starting around the 1:20 mark (I hope so, and if so, he's the real champion here).  I think Larry's beats are heavily processed, but they're there most of the time, especially at the end.  The percussion sounds different on this song, compared to others on the album. 

I also have a hunch that Bono wrote most of Lendrick's lyrics starting at "Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph...." all the way through to the rest of the song.  The words sound like Bono, and the delivery is similar to how Bono "raps."  Maybe it's Bono writing in character again.  When Bono writes in character, he can get away with saying things he couldn't normally say.  This time, he's writing in character as Kendrick Lamar. 

This is all just a hunch.  If it was Bono only singing a couple lines at the end and that's U2's contribution, it would be "featuring Bono."  And I'm not sure the minimal amount he's singing would constitute a "featuring" credit.  It'd probably be listed as "additional vocals by Bono."

It'll be interesting to hear about how all of this transpired.

I don't u2s there until you prominently hear larrys drum kick in. It's sort of telling a story. The first half is an entirely different song

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
I like rap and I did like this song. How much? I don't know yet, but it's something I can listen to frequently with pleasure.

I'm really glad that Bono could fit in the song so well. I hope he learns something from this collaboration for SOE. Not that U2 should add rap in their discography, but they should understand it.

But I'm a little confused. From what I remember, every member of the band was credited to had featured in this song. So should I suppose the bass and the drums are from Adam and Larry? And where's The Edge?