Author Topic: Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge  (Read 1216 times)

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 05:40:54 AM »
I've been saying this for years...Bono picked up with his in character writing on NLOTH and Dublin/young U2 themes on SOI. Larry and Adam have their moments on SOI...Edge keeps resting on his laurels.

How many Elevation/Vertigo/Boots/Miracle "rawk" riffs do we need ? And how many Walk on/Crumbs/Electrical Storm/Uknown caller "borrowed" riffs ? There is more to guitar than cliche rock riffs and chimes...

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 07:56:13 AM »
I understand that maybe Edge should step up his game, but I also think that he was creative in SOI.

During the verses, he a little too timid, doing only some rhythmic accentuations, but I think he makes beautiful counterpoints during many of the choruses of the songs. And his choice of timbres and colors were (almost) always on point.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
An album where edge plays little to no guitar could be interesting and shake things up....or where he uses different guitars.

Use of instruments like autoharp, zither, mellotron, organ, sitar or baritone guitar for example could be interesting and shake up/add intrigue to the bands sound

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An album where edge plays little to no guitar could be interesting and shake things up.

That would be my worst nightmare :) The reason I fell in love with U2 was Edge's guitar style and the unorthodox sounds he could pull out from the instrument in the 90's.

I may come off as close minded (I believe it's partly due to the fact I'm a guitar player myself) but I could stand only a few experimental tunes without guitar, certainly not a whole album.
Not a U2 album.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
An album where edge plays little to no guitar could be interesting and shake things up.

That would be my worst nightmare :) The reason I fell in love with U2 was Edge's guitar style and the unorthodox sounds he could pull out from the instrument in the 90's.

I may come off as close minded (I believe it's partly due to the fact I'm a guitar player myself) but I could stand only a few experimental tunes without guitar, certainly not a whole album.
Not a U2 album.
U2 have pulled it off before, though. And I'm sure Edge would be fine with it, since he is capable of playing a variety of instruments. Could lead to a very cool and interesting album by letting Adam and Larry shine.

Plus, the best way for a musician to experiment is to pick up new instrument.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

Not a U2 album.

I see why you may think like that and i can imagine that many, many others would agree with you.

Probably a bit extreme to go no guitar - but i stand by the more extensive use of other instruments statement though....really think it would help

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »

Not a U2 album.
U2 have pulled it off before, though. And I'm sure Edge would be fine with it, since he is capable of playing a variety of instruments. Could lead to a very cool and interesting album by letting Adam and Larry shine.

I see your point and it's a good one.

The funny thing about Edge is that when you think in a U2 song there's no guitar at all, in fact there is, cause he will make it sound like a string section, a synth or he will use a fx to "mask" it and give to the instrument new context (Passengers, Zooropa and Pop are full of these tricks).
Given this, I don't think there's a necessity for him to back off from the guitar if he wants to experiment with other instruments or let the rhythm section enjoy the spotlight.

On top off head, the only U2 songs without guitar at all are October and SOI piano versions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:54:37 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
Edge should play the flute.

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
xylophone

LEAVE EDGE ALONE!!! (sorry...didn't mean to yell!)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »

Not a U2 album.

The funny thing about Edge is that when you think in a U2 song there's no guitar at all, in fact there is, cause he will make it sound like a string section, a synth or he will use a fx to "mask" it and give to the instrument new context (Passengers, Zooropa and Pop are full of these tricks).
Given this, I don't think there's a necessity for him to back off from the guitar if he wants to experiment with other instruments or let the rhythm section enjoy the spotlight.

On top off head, the only U2 songs without guitar at all are October and SOI piano versions.
As an tha said, no guitar at all would be a little extreme. Maybe utilizing it in different ways would be enough to spark creativity in U2... like with Zooropa, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, etc.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »

Not a U2 album.

As an tha said, no guitar at all would be a little extreme. Maybe utilizing it in different ways would be enough to spark creativity in U2... like with Zooropa, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, etc.

You take the guitar out, you get synth heavy songs like california

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »

Not a U2 album.

Or on the bright side, synth-heavy songs like Slug!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 05:36:38 AM »

Not a U2 album.

Or on the bright side, synth-heavy songs like Slug!
On Slug there's guitar, it's the pitch shifted sound you hear at 0:04 and keeps repeating for the whole song.
Therefore, the main theme of Slug is in fact a guitar :)
It's called Whammy, and it's a fx that Edge uses in EBTTRT, DYFL, Mofo, Gone and plenty of other songs.

See? Perfect example of what I was saying before :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:45:02 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Okay, so I worked out to POP this morning...wonderful. I DO wish for that Edge to reappear or Achtung Baby Edge to reappear. Nothing could ever, ever top those sounds. But, hey, he's not 20 or 30 or even 40 years old anymore. For those of you who are lucky enough to still be young...be prepared...older ages tend to mellow you a bit. Sometimes.  :o
I love SOI, and the sounds Edge brought to it. Maybe he still has some of the old magic, but if he's following a more mellow road now, so be it. He still creates magic with his tools of trade.
And, maybe he'll surprise us...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:41:22 AM by riffraff »

Offline achtunged333

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
I think  briscoetheque hit the nail on the head. The Edge has been a competent guitar player since HTDAAB.  Merely competent and good. It's like what Bono says - Good is the enemy of great. Where is the innovation ? He is still the architect of the band, in a lot of ways. The chord progressions are good but the uniqueness of the sound has suffered. He used to care more about the soundscape and not the hook. And now it's the opposite.

Both Miracle (of Joey Ramone) and Boots have a bad guitar sound.   I hope he surprises us with SOE.