Author Topic: Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge  (Read 1349 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An album where edge plays little to no guitar could be interesting and shake things up.

That would be my worst nightmare :) The reason I fell in love with U2 was Edge's guitar style and the unorthodox sounds he could pull out from the instrument in the 90's.

I may come off as close minded (I believe it's partly due to the fact I'm a guitar player myself) but I could stand only a few experimental tunes without guitar, certainly not a whole album.
Not a U2 album.
U2 have pulled it off before, though. And I'm sure Edge would be fine with it, since he is capable of playing a variety of instruments. Could lead to a very cool and interesting album by letting Adam and Larry shine.

Plus, the best way for a musician to experiment is to pick up new instrument.

I see your point and it's a good one.

The funny thing about Edge is that when you think in a U2 song there's no guitar at all, in fact there is, cause he will make it sound like a string section, a synth or he will use a fx to "mask" it and give to the instrument new context (Passengers, Zooropa and Pop are full of these tricks).
Given this, I don't think there's a necessity for him to back off from the guitar if he wants to experiment with other instruments or let the rhythm section enjoy the spotlight.

On top off head, the only U2 songs without guitar at all are October and SOI piano versions.
As an tha said, no guitar at all would be a little extreme. Maybe utilizing it in different ways would be enough to spark creativity in U2... like with Zooropa, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, etc.

You take the guitar out, you get synth heavy songs like california
Or on the bright side, synth-heavy songs like Slug!
On Slug there's guitar, it's the pitch shifted sound you hear at 0:04 and keeps repeating for the whole song.
Therefore, the main theme of Slug is in fact a guitar :)
It's called Whammy, and it's a fx that Edge uses in EBTTRT, DYFL, Mofo, Gone and plenty of other songs.

See? Perfect example of what I was saying before :)
Are you shre that's a whammy, though? If it is, then it only further proves that Edge is a master at what he does.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
An album where edge plays little to no guitar could be interesting and shake things up.

That would be my worst nightmare :) The reason I fell in love with U2 was Edge's guitar style and the unorthodox sounds he could pull out from the instrument in the 90's.

I may come off as close minded (I believe it's partly due to the fact I'm a guitar player myself) but I could stand only a few experimental tunes without guitar, certainly not a whole album.
Not a U2 album.
U2 have pulled it off before, though. And I'm sure Edge would be fine with it, since he is capable of playing a variety of instruments. Could lead to a very cool and interesting album by letting Adam and Larry shine.

The funny thing about Edge is that when you think in a U2 song there's no guitar at all, in fact there is, cause he will make it sound like a string section, a synth or he will use a fx to "mask" it and give to the instrument new context (Passengers, Zooropa and Pop are full of these tricks).
Given this, I don't think there's a necessity for him to back off from the guitar if he wants to experiment with other instruments or let the rhythm section enjoy the spotlight.

On top off head, the only U2 songs without guitar at all are October and SOI piano versions.
As an tha said, no guitar at all would be a little extreme. Maybe utilizing it in different ways would be enough to spark creativity in U2... like with Zooropa, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, etc.

On Slug there's guitar, it's the pitch shifted sound you hear at 0:04 and keeps repeating for the whole song.
It's called Whammy, and it's a fx that Edge uses in EBTTRT, DYFL, Mofo, Gone and plenty of other songs.

Are you shre that's a whammy, though? If it is, then it only further proves that Edge is a master at what he does.
100 % sure, that's one of the unmistakable sounds a whammy pedal can produce.
Any other guitar player familiar with it would confirm, I can nail that tone fairly easily with mine (I'm not bragging, it's just to give further proof)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »

Not a U2 album.

Any other guitar player familiar with it would confirm, I can nail that tone fairly easily with mine (I'm not bragging, it's just to give further proof)
Ah, right. I was thinking of a wah pedal.

Online monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Not a U2 album.

It's the sound of the pedal, anyone can spend $100 and get a close sound to it. Over the years the bit chip has changed. The version 1 Edge prefers tends be dirtier. But he was seen with a wh4 recently

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Who needs to lift?... The case for The Edge
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »

Not a U2 album.

It's the sound of the pedal, anyone can spend $100 and get a close sound to it. Over the years the bit chip has changed. The version 1 Edge prefers tends be dirtier. But he was seen with a wh4 recently
I think you've misunderstood my statement, I said that I can nail the sound in question purely to confirm it is indeed the Whammy. Nothing else, I wasn't trying to come off as the genius of guitar ;)
And yes, Edge prefers the WH-1 and still does, he doesn't like the newer ones cause they don't sound as "gritty" as the original.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:08:20 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Online monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »

Not a U2 album.

I think you've misunderstood my statement, I said that I can nail the sound in question purely to confirm it is indeed the Whammy. Nothing else, I wasn't trying to come off as the genius of guitar ;)
And yes, Edge prefers the WH-1 and still does, he doesn't like the newer ones cause they don't sound as "gritty" as the original.

I was just supporting your statement and adding to the topic lol. He is using a wh4 in the studio though. And I'm sure he'd experimented with fractal audios effects