Author Topic: "There are so many reasons to die, but there is a light, don't let it go out"  (Read 947 times)

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
(live versions on I+e tour) I thought Song For Someone was supposed to be a love song?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(live versions on I+e tour) I thought Song For Someone was supposed to be a love song?

I thought SFS was supposed to be about a breakup and an (eventual) makeup? In that context, the live lyric makes sense. There's so many reasons for the relationship to die, but there's also a light (positive) in the relationship, so don't lose sight of that.

Offline jordan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I heard it as "Though there are plenty of reasons to doubt, if there is a light, don't let it go out."  He could be changing a bit night to night... I'll have to sample from some of the shows.

Offline Chip

• Numb
It indeed is "doubt," not "die." There are at least two thematic reasons for this lyrical change from the album version (which ends instead with "If there is a kiss I stole from your mouth . . .") on the I&E tour. First, doubt is associated with faith, and SFS already has a religious reference in it -- "And I'm a long way from your hill on Calvary." So is this a love song purely to Ali or also to God/Jesus? It's debatable for various reasons. Secondly, and far more importantly, this lyrical change sets up the three-song exploration of loss of faith (SBS through UTEOTW) that immediately follows in the set. The stage is set with SBS (where the last lines of the song about claiming Jesus's victory are intentionally left out to accommodate this theme). Then we channel  Andy Rowan's loss of faith and its aftereffects in the wake of the September 1974 bombings (RBW), although here Bono creates his own character who then becomes angry with, and taunts, God (UTEOTW). For more on this three-song arc, I recommend Tim Neufeld's excellent analysis elsewhere on this site. But the whole arc is set up by that change in SFS.