Author Topic: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show  (Read 9016 times)

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Red Hill Mining Town - World exclusive play on Dave Fanning Show
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
Excellent mix, really liking the new verses and the outro

Offline Feeder

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • From father to son.........
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
Most of Bono's singing sounds from original recording. Thank God because the new recorded parts lack the younger Bono effort. His older crackling voice is evident as he "talks" his parts. Trumpet string section sounds cheesy. And is that a Depeche Mode synthesizer at the beginning or the "Brass band"? Leave original alone. Noone expects Bono to hit those high notes live. This version was done to entice people to buy JT box sets.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but I can't be the only one who is annoyed that they re-recorded the verses but not the chorus. Guys, Bono could not nail the chorus live 30 years ago, how does anyone think that he can hit it now when his range is not as strong as it was 30 years ago? And the idea of singing along with the original live? Weak for them to attempt. I hope they do not do that. If he cannot sing it like he did 30 years ago, that's fine, just adjust it accordingly. Don't try to keep something in that he can't sing. And if you're going to re-record a song like this, do new vocal parts for all of it. Mixing the old vocals with new vocals is silly.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't listened yet, but I can't be the only one who is annoyed that they re-recorded the verses but not the chorus. Guys, Bono could not nail the chorus live 30 years ago, how does anyone think that he can hit it now when his range is not as strong as it was 30 years ago? And the idea of singing along with the original live? Weak for them to attempt. I hope they do not do that. If he cannot sing it like he did 30 years ago, that's fine, just adjust it accordingly. Don't try to keep something in that he can't sing. And if you're going to re-record a song like this, do new vocal parts for all of it. Mixing the old vocals with new vocals is silly.

I thought this would bother me, but upon listening I am cool with it.  The original will always be better imo, but the 2017 version has a really great buildup quality to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »

I guess they left the old chorus to remind people that Bono had a powerful voice back ins the day, although I'm not sure this kind of overblown singing will work with today's mainstream.

Offline OnlyU2

• Acrobat
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
I was hoping Bono would attempt the chorus, so I'm wondering why they redid this song at all.  Either redo the whole vocal, or not do it at all.  Maybe they should have picked a song he could sing from start to end.

Offline mariomofo

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Wow, surprisingly good version of the song. More punchy than the original -- which I think gives a good indication of it will sound live. Yes, great buildup towards the end. Re: the vocals, the new parts aren't bad. Yeah, the chorus, what are you gonna do? I feel for Bono. He knows it's a tough one to sing, that it's the one that every diehard most wants to hear live, and that his range just isn't what it is. For any of us, as we get older, it's not easy looking back at our younger selves and think, "Geez, I used to be able to do that..."

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the road again. I initially wasn't too excited about the tour -- until I actually landed tickets! GA at the Rose Bowl on a warm SoCal Saturday afternoon -- doesn't get any better!

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »
Where did you get tix Mario? Are they on sale? 

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
Sounds like it's 2017 Bono at first and then switches to the original recording about two minutes in.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
Really like it, good mix from Lillywhite ... They will tune the guitars to a lower key like they do on Still haven't found so Bono can sing it

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
Wow, surprisingly good version of the song. More punchy than the original -- which I think gives a good indication of it will sound live. Yes, great buildup towards the end. Re: the vocals, the new parts aren't bad. Yeah, the chorus, what are you gonna do? I feel for Bono. He knows it's a tough one to sing, that it's the one that every diehard most wants to hear live, and that his range just isn't what it is. For any of us, as we get older, it's not easy looking back at our younger selves and think, "Geez, I used to be able to do that..."

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the road again. I initially wasn't too excited about the tour -- until I actually landed tickets! GA at the Rose Bowl on a warm SoCal Saturday afternoon -- doesn't get any better!

you're gonna rerecord it. yknow since he did the rest of the song as a kind of "hey guys this is how its gonna sound on the tour, different than the first.."

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
GOD i love the brass section! man alive if that really WAS in the original but buried what a damn shame....seriously.....

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »

I thought this would bother me, but upon listening I am cool with it.  The original will always be better imo, but the 2017 version has a really great buildup quality to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you, the parts he re-recorded are really nice. His vocals sound great. I just don't understand why they didn't re-record the whole thing vocally. There's no need to keep the old chorus when he could probably sing a satisfying current version of it (albeit lower or in a different key).

I'll even go so far as to say I might even prefer this version to the original...if perhaps this new version featured new vocals throughout. As it is, I prefer the consistency of the original. But this version and the buildup is really nice.

you're gonna rerecord it. yknow since he did the rest of the song as a kind of "hey guys this is how its gonna sound on the tour, different than the first.."

Right, which is why if you re-record parts, you might as well just do the whole thing for consistency's sake.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
Always found it hard to get excited about reworked/remixed etc. old songs.

I suppose it is a nice/interesting addition to completists collections (assuming all who want a copy can get one) and fair do's to those who are into this collecting everything lark...it takes some doing i would imagine - but in general terms/the grand scheme of things these kind of things fly well under the radar for me/don't really grab me.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
tbh i dont think theres a jarring noticeable transition between 2017 to 1987 Bono. there's really not. and listened on headphones.